Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

New battery technology

Move Thread LAN_403
Conundrum
Sun Aug 30 2015, 08:10AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Link2

having had a lead acid that caused my entire car to fail while driving, i can see this being very popular.

-A
hen918
Sun Aug 30 2015, 11:42AM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Conundrum wrote ...

Link2

having had a lead acid that caused my entire car to fail while driving...

-A
How on earth did your battery do that? Internal short?

EDIT: after looking at the link, I would suggest that these batteries could cause more problems than they solve. If the electronics fail, lots of nasty things could happen.
I Have 8 of the LiFePO4 cells pictured in the link and 4 of them have died due to the balancing / protection circuitry failing and slowly discharging the cells to 0v
Conundrum
Sun Aug 30 2015, 02:49PM
hen918 wrote ...

Conundrum wrote ...

Link2

having had a lead acid that caused my entire car to fail while driving...

-A
How on earth did your battery do that? Internal short?

To replier: Yeah, that did it. BIG blister on the back of the affected cell close to the clamp, fortunately it didn't melt through the case.

EDIT: after looking at the link, I would suggest that these batteries could cause more problems than they solve. If the electronics fail, lots of nasty things could happen.
I Have 8 of the LiFePO4 cells pictured in the link and 4 of them have died due to the balancing / protection circuitry failing and slowly discharging the cells to 0v

Yeah, same experiences here. (cheap controller, nuff said).
More e-bike packs fail due to the $9 controller failing in creative ways than from bad cells.

I think however that given the good track record of LiFePO4 the chances of a fire caused by these are lower than even from a lead acid.
Not many car batteries include internal fuses and overheat/etc protection.

I do think they should add warnings about not jump starting other vehicles except using safe procedure as the load from doing so might be too much.

Also to OP: do you still have them?
I've managed to recover 80% of my "totally deader than dead" LiFePO4 from DX, with a few clever tricks: for those curious PM me.

Only one permanently failed and that was due to an external SNAFU which made the cell bulge up and the failsafe tearaway correctly opened isolating the cell in that case.

Four of mine were overdischarged twice (never learn!!) and recovery procedure did the trick although they didn't work particularly well probably due to copper shunts.
With low capacity cells procedures that would be incredibly dangerous on 3.3Ah screamers (tm) seem to work although there is always a capacity penalty.
Such cells with care still have value for solar power apps if buried in dry sand well away from anything flammable just in case.

Also worth noting, I have unpatented procedures for scanning of "bad" cells of differing types that can identify which are likely to come back and which should be disposed of safely.
Typically about 60% of "bad" cells fall into the recoverable category but if they have dwelled at below 0.9V (LiFePO4) or 1.3V (LiNiMnX) if >1.5 Ah they are totally unrecoverable.

Also see Link2 (note about runaway cells!)
Link2
Link2
Link2
Enceladus
Mon Feb 13 2017, 06:40PM
Enceladus Registered Member #61428 Joined: Sat Jan 14 2017, 12:39PM
There's not really any *new* battery technology in there per say, and it's not even the first supercap to be designed to replace conventional lead acid batteries, but it is definitely a pretty common-sensical development. It's too bad car designers couldn't have had the foresight to simply integrate features like this to begin with.

I'm all for supercaps though. I've been wanting to see them and lithium ion capacitors begin to see some more widespread use.

There's been some interesting development into employing flywheel energy storage for regenerative braking in cars while also making use of the gyroscopic effects to enhance handling and stability.

Most of all I'm looking forward to seeing compact fuel cells and lithium air batteries. And of course, all the impossibly amazing things they keep promising to do with fullerenes, nanotubes and graphene. Still waiting on that elevator to space.. and.. cybernetic implants. If I only had a positronic brain...
Conundrum
Tue Feb 14 2017, 05:53AM
Its interesting to note that NiMH are *STILL* used in space because their failure modes are well understood and can be accounted for in software.
I did find out that old NiCads if precautions are taken such as carefully reinforcing the rather inefficient cardboard insulator eg with silicone but leaving a vent gap increases their lifetime manyfold. 10 years and counting!!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: