Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Adding another NST. How should I reconfigure my MMC?

Move Thread LAN_403
crashstudio
Tue Aug 11 2015, 09:39PM
crashstudio Registered Member #54484 Joined: Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:18PM
I'm adding another 15kv 60mA NST in parallel with my existing NST same make and specs for 120mA.
TeslaMap suggests an LTR of 34.3nF. The MMC calculator suggests 2 strings of 9 to = 33.3nF at 18kv peak. The peak voltage of my 15kv NST is 17.12kv. Is that a safe enough range or should I go with 3 strings of 13 to = 34.6nF at 26kv peak? And what do you believe the best capacitance value would be?
If I go with 3 strings of 13 I'll have to purchase more caps to provide tap points of less value. Right now I have 40, I'll need 48 total to provide a total of 4 taps. 34.6, 32.1, 30 and 28.1. According to the calculator.
Also, TeslaMap suggests a PFC cap of 322uF.
Can I use these from ebay? Link2

Coil specs:

NST X 2 (both are Franceformer with GFCI circuit removed)
* Input 120v
* Freq 60Hz
* Output 15KV
* Current 60mA

NST Protection:
Terry filter

Richard Quick static gap. 6" PVC with 11 pieces of 3/4" copper pipe all spaced at 1/32"

Primary Coil
* Diameter .25"
* Spacing .25" roughly
* Center hole diameter 6"

Secondary Coil
* AWG 26 magnet wire
* Height 20"
* Coil form 4"

Toroid 4" x 17"

Thank you for your help
Graham Armitage
Wed Aug 12 2015, 08:57PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Been a while since I built an NST coil, but my recollection is that you want the MMC to match the transformer impedance at 60Hz. this will give max power transfer to the tank capacitor. If my calculations are correct you need about 21nF for MMC. Depending on what types of capacitors you are using, you can figure out the series/parallel config to give the right capacitance. Hope this helps.
crashstudio
Thu Aug 13 2015, 01:52AM
crashstudio Registered Member #54484 Joined: Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:18PM
I believe your calculating the resonate capacitance. From what I've learned NST's prefer a larger than resonate capacitor (LTR). The coil will perform better and it will help preserve the life of the NST. I was just asking if an MMC with a max rating of 18kv is safe enough to handle the peak voltage of my NST which is 17.12kv.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Aug 13 2015, 07:41AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
crashstudio wrote ...

I believe your calculating the resonate capacitance. From what I've learned NST's prefer a larger than resonate capacitor (LTR). The coil will perform better and it will help preserve the life of the NST. I was just asking if an MMC with a max rating of 18kv is safe enough to handle the peak voltage of my NST which is 17.12kv.

All MMC design is a trade off between life time and price. For a very long time the DC rating of a pulse capacitor have been used, despite we really should find the proper RMS voltage vs frequency in the datasheet and derate our capacitors accordingly.

We rely a great deal on the very short on-times, intermittent use and that our coils might sit for years without running and over a life time it might not see more than a couple of days of combined use.

Is your MMC good enough for hobby use, yes(until it explodes). Will it survive running 24/7, no.
Signification
Thu Sept 10 2015, 02:20PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
crashstudio wrote ...

I was just asking if an MMC with a max rating of 18kv is safe enough to handle the peak voltage of my NST which is 17.12kv.

Isn't the peak voltage of a 15kV NST Vrms*sqrt(2)=21,215V ? Additionally with the variac (o-140VAC input) multiply this product by 140/120 yielding just under 25kV.

What calculation gives you 17.12kV, I may have something off since I never used an MMC.
GrantX
Sat Sept 12 2015, 06:01AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
I believe you are correct, Signification. However, the spacing of the spark gap *should* limit the maximum voltage the MMC sees.

I've somehow managed to kill a cheap 24kV MMC with a 8.4kV transformer, even with a very conservative gap spacing (to be fair, they weren't suitable for high pulse currents). Your mileage may vary...
Signification
Sat Sept 12 2015, 10:59AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
Sounds like non-equal energy sharing somewhere.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: