All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Chatting
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coconut oil as a dielectric (better than transformer oil)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Sat Aug 08 2015, 10:15PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I wasn't sure whether to post this in HV or here, so, if in doubt.....

I read sometime ago that coconut oil was a better dielectric than transformer oil in an MOD paper.

Today my 'better half' showed me a 'product' she'd bought in Tesco's for £4.99 (she thinks) which the label claims to be 'Extra Virgin 100% Raw Cold Pressed Coconut Oil' (ingredients: organic extra virgin coconut oil).

It contains 250ml. I plan to try it for insulation at some point. I should probably boil it for a while first.

Apparently, coconut oil has a dielectric constant of 2.9 where as transformer oil has a dielectric constant of 2.1: Link2
klugesmith
Sun Aug 09 2015, 04:38AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Maybe it's time for you to make a dielectric oil breakdown-test cell and get out a NST. Some oil testing standards call for a stirrer.

1439095008 2099 FT172537 Automatic Oil Bdv Test Set
Conundrum
Sun Aug 09 2015, 06:48AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Yeah, try it and post your results.
Baby oil is rumored to also work if purified and dried under a moderate vacuum.
Mads Barnkob
Mon Aug 10 2015, 12:57PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
There is properly some other properties with transformer oil like notasflameable as insert_generic_oil_name or the willnotoutgassomethinghighlyexplosive_factor is different.

I can confirm that baby oil is excellent for a back rub.
2Spoons
Tue Aug 18 2015, 12:18AM
2Spoons Registered Member #2939 Joined: Fri Jun 25 2010, 04:25AM
Here's a paper worth looking at. Looks like drying the oil is very important. You might also consider castor oil, though that is more appropriate for capacitors, having a dielectric constant of about 4.7 and a dielectric strength of about 65kV/mm.
]coconut_oil_eru_2001.pdf[/file]
Ash Small
Sat Aug 29 2015, 10:57PM
klugesmith wrote ...

Maybe it's time for you to make a dielectric oil breakdown-test cell and get out a NST. Some oil testing standards call for a stirrer.

1439095008 2099 FT172537 Automatic Oil Bdv Test Set

Sorry I've not responded sooner, I've been away camping in the nether regions of North Cornwall, somewhere between Morwenstow (GCHQ Bude) and Tintagel. Mobile internet connections don't seem to have arrived in that part of the world yet wink

That's an excellent idea Rich. I was planning on building a test rig for 'hand rolled' capacitors so adding a bit of extra functionality can only be a bonus. I already bought these to use as a safety gap for the capacitor tester:-

1440889064 3414 FT172537 Dscf1441

Thanks for the interesting link, 2Spoons.
klugesmith
Tue Sept 01 2015, 10:49PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Looks good, Ash. How was the weather on your camping trip?

I, too, have bought cabinet knobs for this purpose. Maybe it's time to start a thread about oil testers instead of oils. I wonder how special an oil needs to be, to withstand prolonged application of 15 kV RMS from a NST across a 1 mm gap?

What follows, except for the final paragraph and image, went up on another forum a couple weeks ago.

For numerical results to correlate with other labs and product data, it would be good to mimic the popular standards ASTM D1816 and IEC 60156. At least where it's easy and inexpensive.
Here are one summary of those standards, Link2, and one commercial tester UI image:
1441146225 2099 FT172537 Astm1816 Panel
The Internet teaches that both standards include polished electrodes with 25 mm radius of curvature. Gap widths are 1 mm, 2 mm, and 2.54 mm. When oil stirring is called for, the impeller shall have standard dimensions and turn at 200 - 300 RPM. One standard also allows a magnetic stirring bar at the bottom of the oil cup.

Are any readers here in a position to access either of the actual standard documents, and answer a few questions about details? Legitimate copies cost about $40 to download. That helps to fund development, maintenance, and distribution of standards. I found some free sources that require registration and/or installing a special reader, and probably also install unwanted junkware and startware or worse.

The smallest model boat propeller available at one hobby shop is about 20 mm wide and has the right number of blades. Neither its package, nor its maker's website, give any specs except a list of the RC boats that it fits. After fruitless Internet searches, physical measurement and test fitting taught me that the nyloc nut has a 1-72 right-hand thread.
1441146528 2099 FT172537 Prop

This morning, following Ash's lead, I actually put some parts together for fun. Started with disposable plastic tongs for serving salad. They better be oil-resistant! smile Let's make some sparks under oil. Automatic spark detection and shutdown of the HV can wait.
1441147379 2099 FT172537 Dscn9859
Ash Small
Wed Sept 02 2015, 10:11AM
We had every type of weather you can imagine except snow, I think, we certainly got our money's worth wink We even had the air sea rescue helicopter plucking surfers from the rocks and returning them to tne beach, but due to a 'fake' 128Gb micro SD card I bought the week before only actually having 8Gb of memory, I've 'lost' all the photo's I took. (Moral: Don't buy cheap SD cards from Ebay).

Anyway, back to the topic in question, I've also been giving this some thought. I want a test rig to test capacitors and dielectrics, and also to test various types of DC flyback based circuits. I'm guessing I'll need some sort of HV resistive divider in order to measure the voltages using standard meters, 'scopes, etc.

My initial plan was to construct something out of wood and copper tubing along the lines of classic 'museum' pieces however plastics are cheap and easy to use. I like your 'salad tongs' idea, but you still need to connect the wires to the cabinet knobs, and I'm still considering alternatives.

I want to get the design right before I build it so it's as versatile as possible. Can I add any additional functionality? I certainly want to include provision for a second 'safety gap' if required, for example.

The voltage divider also requires some thought, especially integrating it into the setup in the most convenient manner. (1,000:1 or 10,000:1, for example?....I want to measure to a theoretical 50kV, so want to design for at least twice that. 100kV sounds like a good start for design purposes))

Maybe I should just change the title of this thread, and maybe edit it so that it can be transferred to the 'projects' section at a later date?

EDIT: Found this on Wikipedia:-

Transformer oil testing procedure

To assess the insulating property of dielectric transformer oil, a sample of the transformer oil is taken and its breakdown voltage is measured.
The transformer oil is filled in the vessel of the testing device. Two standard-compliant test electrodes with a typical clearance of 2.5 mm are surrounded by the dielectric oil.
A test voltage is applied to the electrodes and is continuously increased up to the breakdown voltage with a constant, standard-compliant slew rate of e.g. 2 kV/s.
At a certain voltage level breakdown occurs in an electric arc, leading to a collapse of the test voltage.
An instant after ignition of the arc, the test voltage is switched off automatically by the testing device. Ultra fast switch off is highly desirable, as the carbonisation due to the electric arc must be limited to keep the additional pollution as low as possible.
The transformer oil testing device measures and reports the root mean square value of the breakdown voltage.
After the transformer oil test is completed, the insulation oil is stirred automatically and the test sequence is performed repeatedly. (Typically 5 Repetitions, depending on the standard)
As a result the breakdown voltage is calculated as mean value of the individual measurements.

Conclusion: The lower the resulting breakdown voltage, the poorer the quality of the transformer oil!"

I also read that the standard radius of the electrodes should be 25mm. (~2" Dia)
Ash Small
Fri Sept 04 2015, 03:16PM
I've given this a bit more thought, and found a local supplier of 8mm (5/16th") copper tubing, which I currently plan to use. I can paint it with polyurethane enamel and bake it on to provide some extra resistance to corona, and, if necessary, add more insulation easily if required.

I also want to design in a method of shorting the electrodes with a 'crowbar' on a chicken stick, which will be retained in place by neodymium magnets.

I've also designed a 'hinged shelf' to support the flask containing the oil to be tested.

I've a few ideas regarding gap adjustment. I'm still thinking through the alternatives, but plan to draw something soon wink
Signification
Sun Sept 06 2015, 06:21AM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
@kludge;
I have really been wanting to build some of these things. Including the oil-based tester--thanks for the standards. The prop reminds me of what I consider to be the most unusual patents of Nikola Tesla. He describes a water fountain powered by an AC motor generating resonant whirlpool section-overflows of water. Finally, he illuminates the water with a radioactive substance!

Fast forward to 'today': underwater pumps and ultra-bright rainbow LED's that can fill sections of swirling laminar texture water with Arduino controlled LED- flow which burst out into colors when the laminar surface breaks!

If you are familiar with Tesla's patents, they, as a rule, relate to HF AC and resonance apps. The title of this patent "Fountain" no. 1,113,716 10/13/1914.

I have the bulk of this built (1999), the only problem--the trolling prop won't quite reach the inner edges of the giant PVC wall--critical for thrust!
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: