Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
AlexRU73 (39)

Next birthdays
05/18 AlexRU73 (39)
05/19 cbfull (52)
05/19 Steve Ward (39)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Mini (R)SSTC – my first build

Move Thread LAN_403
flannelhead
Sat Aug 08 2015, 09:42PM
flannelhead Registered Member #952 Joined: Mon Aug 13 2007, 11:07AM
9 August 2015

I've been wanting to build a full-blown SSTC since I was 14. Now, at the age of 21 and with much more experience, I thought I could finally give it a try.

2015 is a good time to be a first time SSTC builder – there's such a wealth of good designs and tutorials around. For this project, I chose the tried and tested Steve Ward's Mini SSTC. The coil was built closely following Loneoceans' excellent SSTC tutorial (thanks a lot for this), which is similar to Ward's coil but with a few modifications such as an UVLO circuit. I also chose to employ CT feedback, which worked well after some tweaks in the feedback network.

As I probably can't afford building a second coil soon, I decided I'd make this one a bit more versatile. One feature I wanted to have was staccato control for sword-like streamers like in Loneoceans Ramped SSTC 3. The following additions were made to the basic schematic:
  • Switchable DC bus smoothing
  • Zero crossing detector for syncing to the DC bus voltage ramps
  • Duplex fiber optic communication – interrupter in, sync out
  • External interrupter using ATtiny84

General coil specs:
  • Secondary 10x15 cm wound with 0.25mm wire
  • Aluminium ducting toroid
  • Resonant frequency ~400 kHz (according to JavaTC)
  • 12 turn primary
  • Half bridge of IRFP460 MOSFETs
  • DC bus voltage 325 V

1439067615 952 FT1630 Sstc 1280

The coil is built inside an old ATX psu casing. The visual design is mostly a replica of Loneoceans' SSTC2 and SSTC3 – they looked all too tasty and practical not to replicate. tongue The space in the casing was a bit tight indeed, but nothing I couldn't bear with. The built-in fan is a huge plus.

The build went incredibly smoothly. The only hiccup was CT feedback not working properly, which was solved by removing the 1k resistor from the feedback network. In the testing phase I powered the bridge from a 48v step down transformer. In the build process only one MOSFET got blown.

I also built and programmed a little ATtiny84 based interrupter which has a limited duty cycle of 10% as well as a fixed maximum absolute ON time. It also can sync to the zero crossing sync signal provided by the driver circuitry via fiber.

1439067615 952 FT1630 Interrupter 1280

At full 325VDC bus voltage, the coil pumps out streamers extending to ~15 cm – just about the secondary winding length. The electronics seem to be running quite cool and I'm sure I could push the coil even further. However, I rather want this coil to perform steadily and reliably. It's already pretty loud as well. For a first SSTC, I'd consider this a success.

1439067615 952 FT1630 Smoothed 1280

Smoothed DC operation.

1439067615 952 FT1630 Ramped 1280

Ramped DC and staccato interrupter. The streamers are a lot straighter and sword-like.

Some TODOs include:
  • Make the mechanic design more durable
  • MIDI input for the interrupter
  • Enclose the interrupter in a shielded case
  • Clean up the interrupter code and publish it

I'll report any progress here.

Finally, I would like to thank Sigurthr and others who helped me understand the RFI issues related to SSTCs. Fortunately, I've noticed no kind of interference with any equipment so far. Should any problems emerge, I've already got a Faraday's cage built to mitigate these issues.

Any feedback is appreciated. I'll upload a video as soon as I have time to capture one.

15 September 2015

I had an issue with a broken ground connection in the coil, which took a while to figure out. Meanwhile, I also acquired a piece of acrylic tube to be used as a primary former. Now I've managed to decrease the number of primary turns to seven. With the new, more powerful configuration, I thought I'd better run it in the Faraday cage. Interestingly, it seemed to have a very positive effect on the spark output! Here's a picture in ramped mode:

1442346644 952 FT1630 Sstc Cage 1280

Going to take some video and more photos probably tomorrow. Right now I'm not going to bother my neighbours with the noise anymore.

I also made the ATtiny84 interrupter code available here for those interested. It's written in C and has the ability to sync to an external signal. I'm also slowly working on a MIDI interrupter code.
flannelhead
Tue Sept 15 2015, 07:57PM
I gave the coil a huge performance boost. See the top post.
The NEYi
Wed Sept 16 2015, 12:11AM
The NEYi Registered Member #55086 Joined: Sun May 24 2015, 03:18PM
Ah, nice result for such a short time.
I started making coils when I was 17 and spent like 2 years to make my first 100% working SSTC. smile
flannelhead
Wed Sept 16 2015, 03:34PM
The NEYi wrote ...

Ah, nice result for such a short time.
I started making coils when I was 17 and spent like 2 years to make my first 100% working SSTC. smile

Thanks! smile To be fair, though, building this bugger ate all my free time during 2-3 weeks. The success of this project is also mostly thanks to the pioneering work of Steve Ward and Loneoceans' excellent tutorial.
dexter
Wed Sept 16 2015, 05:02PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
i've build this type of coil last year inspired by Loneoceans's RSSTC
i chosen a unique top load because why not and avoided any external flapping in the breeze wires
i went with antenna feedback because it confuses alot ppl with little or none tesla coil knowledge :)

1442422393 42796 FT172536 Rsstc

i also noticed the increase in spark length (50% or more) when putting my hands around the toroid similar to your Faraday cage

flannelhead
Wed Sept 16 2015, 07:55PM
dexter wrote ...

i've build this type of coil last year inspired by Loneoceans's RSSTC
i chosen a unique top load because why not and avoided any external flapping in the breeze wires
i went with antenna feedback because it confuses alot ppl with little or none tesla coil knowledge :)

i also noticed the increase in spark length (50% or more) when putting my hands around the toroid similar to your Faraday cage
That's also a good looking coil! The increase in the spark length is an interesting effect. I think it could partly be related to the change of the resonant frequency when surrounded by some matter.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: