All today's birthdays', congrats!
Kipmans (34)
DuartmaN (47)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

isolated perpendicular main and trigger gaps

Move Thread LAN_403
Signification
Fri Jul 31 2015, 10:21PM
Signification Registered Member #54278 Joined: Sat Jan 17 2015, 04:42AM
I am attempting to make a rather unique triggered spark gap. The method I have chosen is for learning more about the nature of high voltage interacting fields whose sources are totally isolated from each other by any physical connections (no common ground terminal, etc.) HOWEVER, there may be some ion-type induced "connections" created.
It goes something like this:

I have a high voltage capacitor (in series with some main load--of...whatever!). The capacitor is connected to the load via a high current triggered spark gap (TSG). This TSG consists of the two main high current-voltage electrodes (North-South) connected to the main firing capacitor and (optional in theory) series load. Now the trigger: This will be another pair of (East-West) trigger electrodes level with the North-South main electrodes, across which I can switch a very low-current, high trigger voltage of around 30kVDC to 40KVDC. This will be a "corona" stream. Remember, The two power supplies are completely isolated!

I would like some information on the following, for which I have searched high and low--with no luck:

1) When the corona "trigger" gap (placed relatively far from the main gaps to prevent direct arcing at maximum voltages) fires and enters the main gap's E-field, are there any significantly conductive "+"ion or electron paths that will connect the two isolated sets of electrodes in any way by means of the fields and/or charged particle currents?

2) What are the different trigger requirements to get a conductive arc across the main gap. Mainly, for example, if the main capacitor were 0.5uF, say, compared to 1000uF---these values are random and just for examples. Does the lager capacitance get more "difficult" to fire with increasing capacitance (and/or voltage)? If I know that the trigger current can go straight through the main gap with no load connected to it (...naturally), then how do different capacitive loads effect the requirements required of the trigger to "burst" through the "stiff", "loaded" main gap electrodes? Am I wrong in assuming that a 'stiff' main gap electrode potential (due mainly to high capacitance?) is much harder to fire than a lower capacitance, (or voltage) load?
Antonio
Sat Aug 01 2015, 01:17AM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Some opinions, not necessarily backed by testing:
The trigger will work too from generated ultraviolet light, so it's not a great problem to place the trigger electrodes in a way that avoids the main discharge touching them.
More capacitance across the gap turns the discharge easier, because there is more charge available to form the spark channel. After a certain value of capacitance, quite low, there is no more difference, however.
Signification
Sat Aug 01 2015, 06:19AM
Thanks Antonio,
I'm sure for the UV trigger you are speaking of a much shorter wavelength than the common 405nm.

I was under the impression that a larger charged capacitor would be harder to trigger-discharge--thanks for that fix.

I will have plenty of capacitance charge, so once triggered, I am assuming the main gap will keep conducting until everything has (extremely rapidly) run down.

I am thinking about one of those ion ray gun circuits, as the trigger electrodes, fired through the main gap.
Signification
Mon Aug 10 2015, 07:52AM
I have found another possibility--HV diodes for isolation, but would like comments on this or other methods. Of course the main problem is the trigger spark getting "connected" to the main discharge--even with separate grounds (isolated). I really need a way to keep the main blast isolated from the trigger through the conducting corona (of the trigger) and the plasma (of the main gap). I am unable to use an optical trigger.

Antonio wrote ...

... it's not a great problem to place the trigger electrodes in a way that avoids the main discharge touching them...
Dr. Slack
Mon Aug 10 2015, 08:44AM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
If you have suitable voltages, you could use a 'gabriel' gap. Serach on this forum for some initial links.

You must set gaps to withstand the main voltage, but breakdown at half the voltage. You would need main voltage >>3kV for gap stability. If you want to fire at various voltages, then forget it, it's probably not worth the readjustment for each change.

What happens is a centre electrode gets biassed to the mean of the main electrode potentials, via a high value resistive divider. Both sub-gaps withstand the v/2. To fire, open circuit one of the divider resistors with a HV relay. The centre electrode charges to the electrode it's still connected to, the stressed gap breaks down, which then stresses the other gap and so the total gap breaks down.

It's a way of connecting a trigger gap to the main gap in a defined way. The trigger gap gets triggered by connecting it through a big (10M) resistor to the other eletrode

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: