All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coil done but not working well with new caps

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
crashstudio
Tue Jul 28 2015, 02:22AM Print
crashstudio Registered Member #54484 Joined: Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:18PM
It's been done for a while now, I first had it hooked up with 20 beer bottles adding to 17nF. Now I have 40 Cornell-Dubillier 942C20P15K, 2 series strings of 20 paralleled with 5 taps. Right now I have it tapped at 17.1 nF. It seems to have worked better with the laden cap which makes no sense to me at all. I've tried adjusting the spark gap tap point and primary tap but can't seem to get it to work. I'm at a loss. As you should see in the 1st video I'm getting more of a spark from the secondary than the toroid. Please help.
The 1st video is with the laden caps, 2nd is with the Cornell-Dubillier.
Specs...
15kv 60ma NST
Line filter
Terry filter
Richard Quick static gap - 11 4 1/2 " long 3/4 wide copper pipe with 1/32 gap each
50' 1/4" primary 15 turns
28ga magnet wire wound 20" high around 4" SCH 40 PVC
Toroid 4" aluminum duct wrapped with aluminum tape and 8 1/2 inch pie pans to secure.

Videos
Link2
Link2
Hazmatt_(The Underdog)
Tue Jul 28 2015, 03:09AM
Hazmatt_(The Underdog) Registered Member #135 Joined: Sat Feb 11 2006, 12:06AM
Keep moving your tap around, you'll find it eventually.

Is your strike rail a full turn? if its connected together, it is shorting. Strike rails are not connected together.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Jul 28 2015, 07:06AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I can see that there is a gap in your strike rail, so that is fine.

I can also see that you currently have your primary tap point at the outer most turn, your 15th turn! That is properly waay too much. Your coil is so much out of tune as it can be.

Have you used JavaTC to calculate your optimal tuning point? It is the most precise online tool to find a good starting point for optimal tuning and then slowly moving the tap point for a lower primary frequency.

The optimal tuning point can be hard to find, it lies within a few centimeters, so it easy to miss when moving the tap.

You risk damaging your secondary coil by drawing arcs from it, you should at all times avoid racing sparks or drawing sparks from it. If you first punch through the varnish isolation you have to unwind the damaged area, repair and clean from all carbon tracks and varnish the damaged area again.
crashstudio
Tue Jul 28 2015, 09:37PM
I've been using TeslaMap and just found the problem. I forgot to change the primary capacitance value, when I entered the new value it says I should tap the 13th on the primary.

Do you think I would get better results with a spun aluminum toroid? I found a 3" x 12" on ebay for just over $100
Thank you
Mads Barnkob
Wed Jul 29 2015, 06:32AM
crashstudio wrote ...

I've been using TeslaMap and just found the problem. I forgot to change the primary capacitance value, when I entered the new value it says I should tap the 13th on the primary.

Do you think I would get better results with a spun aluminum toroid? I found a 3" x 12" on ebay for just over $100
Thank you

Better results yes, but that is not your biggest problem at the moment, a spun toroid vs. ducting might not give you more than 5-10% longer sparks from less corona losses and higher breakout voltage if not breakout point is used.

Could you please tell us all the details of your coil, I would like to plot the data in JAVATC and see what it says.
crashstudio
Wed Jul 29 2015, 11:54PM
NST
* Input 120v
* Freq 60Hz
* Output 15KV
* Current 60mA

Primary cap tapped at 17.08nF

Richard Quick static gap. 6" PVC with 11 pieces of 3/4" copper pipe all spaced at 1/32"

Primary Coil
* Diameter .25"
* Spacing .25" roughly
* Center hole diameter 6"

Secondary Coil
* AWG 28 magnet wire
* Height 20"
* Coil form 4"

Toroid 4" x 17"

A/C Line filter
* Tokin Noise Fliter 115/220 VAC 15amps
* 2 Microwave oven caps in parallel to = 165nF (166nF suggested by TeslaMap)

Let me know if you want the specs on the Terry Filter too.

When I turned it on the last time my first reaction was that something was wrong. After your last post I decided to check the secondary and think I found a small hole. I provided a Drive link to the pics below. I was already planning on winding another with 26ga just not this soon. I'd rather do that than to unwind and fix like you said.

Link2

Just found the real problem. Inside the secondary the voltage has been riding the PVC and melted a good portion of it. I added the pics to the link in my last reply. The hole in the pics could have been made when the coil dropped on the bench.
Link2
Could this have happened from the threaded rod from the toroid? It looks like it was arcing from that to the lower connection. Apparently all internal connections have to be completely insulated? I guess it would make sense considering their less than 2 feet apart.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Jul 30 2015, 07:16AM
Wow, that is some internal failure of the secondary you have there.

Generally I would advise against having any metal on the inside of the secondary and that also goes for the end caps. Secure everything with nylon bolts and mount metal screws in a additional piece of insulating material that is mounted with nylon screws, this way you can completely avoid having metal on the inside.

I plotted your data in JAVATC and you could use a smaller MMC capacitance to still have larger than resonant with the NST and your tapping point is properly below the 12th turn, maybe 11 to 11.5 to tune the primary lower than the secondary to compensate for streamer loading.
1438240595 1403 FT172377 Crashstudio
crashstudio
Thu Jul 30 2015, 09:53PM
[quote]

I know, it's crazy. I'm sure it was happening every time I ran the coil. Looks like it found a path and stuck with it.
I'm thinking about patching it up and properly insulating it. Maybe even inserting a 3" diameter pvc in the middle. Do you think it would work? I've yet to see it with the new caps and seeing it work better will give me even more motivation to wind another secondary. Oh and thank you for the data.
Mads Barnkob
Fri Jul 31 2015, 06:21AM
[quote]
[quote]

I know, it's crazy. I'm sure it was happening every time I ran the coil. Looks like it found a path and stuck with it.
I'm thinking about patching it up and properly insulating it. Maybe even inserting a 3" diameter pvc in the middle. Do you think it would work? I've yet to see it with the new caps and seeing it work better will give me even more motivation to wind another secondary. Oh and thank you for the data.
[/quote1438323335]

Repairing the damages from arc over that has left such a severe burn and carbon tracks can be a real pain to ever get to work properly again. You will have to cut, mill, sand out every little residue of carbon to avoid an future failure in the same carbon tracks, it is afterall a conductive path provide along the horizontal axis of a high voltage winding.

I am sure you will have a great performing Tesla coil with your 942C caps, I have yet to see bottle caps outperform those ;)
crashstudio
Sun Aug 09 2015, 08:36PM
[quote]
[quote]
[quote]

I am sure you will have a great performing Tesla coil with your 942C caps, I have yet to see bottle caps outperform those ;)
[/quote1439151801]

Since I'm winding a new secondary I decided to update the power source too by adding another 15kv 60mA NST in parallel for 120mA. TeslaMap suggests an LTR of 34.3nF. The MMC calculator suggests 2 strings of 9 to = 33.3nF at 18kv peak. The peak voltage of 15kv is 17.12kv. Is that a safe enough range or should I go with 3 strings of 13 to = 34.6nF at 26kv peak? And what do you believe the best capacitance value would be?
If I go with 3 strings of 13 I'll have to purchase more caps to provide tap points of less value. Right now I have 40, I'll need 48 to provide a total of 4 taps. 34.6, 32.1, 30 and 28.1. According to the calculator.
Thank you for your help
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: