Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Jack (13)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Oxygen concentrator & Airway Gas Monitor calibration mixture

Move Thread LAN_403
klugesmith
Thu Jul 23 2015, 09:03PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Please excuse the double subject.

I got a portable oxygen concentrator at a local industrial auction. It's a home medical appliance, I think based on Pressure Swing Adsorption cycles. Not unlike what IAmSmooth (?) made for his nitrogen liquefier apparatus. DIY glassworkers say that O2 concentrators can deliver gas at enough pressure for a torch flame.

The PSA material eventually goes bad, so I want to measure the O2 concentration in the machine's outlet gas. Any ideas for quantitative assay using household chemicals? After the glowing-splint-in-jar-of-gas test, of course.

The auction lot also included a small centrifuge and half-a-dozen small tanks of gas mixture for "calibrating Airway Gas Monitors". What's an AGM? Any guesses as to the subjective effects of inhaling the gas?

1437685310 2099 FT0 Dscn9913

1437685375 2099 FT0 Dscn9912
Ash Small
Fri Jul 24 2015, 10:21AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
These have two chambers containing a nitrogen absorbing zeolite. They usually work on around a 22 second cycle. Air is passed through one chamber for ~20 seconds, then through the other one, nitrogen is absorbed by the zeolites. During the 'off' cycle, some of the 'enriched' gas is used to 'flush out' the nitrogen from the first chamber, etc.

These do not supply 'pure oxygen', only 'oxygen enriched air'. There 'enrichment factor' depends on the machine. The cheap Chinese ones for sale new on Ebay aren't much use.

The medical ones used here can supply up to ~ three litres per minute. They are sometimes paralleled for greater flow.

I know the zeolites last several years at least. I do know someone who tests and services these machines, but don't see him very often.

EDIT: I don't think I's want to breathe that calibration gas, Wikipedia says this about Enflurane: "Clinically, enflurane produces a dose-related depression of myocardial contractility with an associated decrease in myocardial oxygen consumption. Between 2% and 5% of the inhaled dose is oxidised in the liver, producing fluoride ions and difluoromethoxy-difluoroacetic acid. This is significantly higher than the metabolism of its structural isomer isoflurane.

Enflurane also lowers the threshold for seizures, and should especially not be used on people with epilepsy. It is also known to cause malignant hyperthermia.

It relaxes the uterus in pregnant women.

Enflurane and methoxyflurane have a nephrotoxic effect and cause acute renal failure, usually by its nephrotoxic metabolite."
Bored Chemist
Sat Jul 25 2015, 09:45PM
Bored Chemist Registered Member #193 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 07:04AM
The web says lots of things about enflurane.
The gas bottle says that it doesn't contain enflurane; it contains chlorodifluoromethane instead.

This might help
Link2
Link2

IamSmooth
Wed Aug 12 2015, 01:36AM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I'm an anesthesiologist and Enflurane is a seldom used potent inhalational anesthetic. I would be extremely careful, and I suggest you get rid of it. The fumes in an enclosed space can cause loss of consciousness and loss of airway tone. This means if you go to sleep you could have your tongue obstruct your airway and die.

I am not sure if that container contains this liquid. However, whatever else is in there is better left alone. It's not worth dealing with.
klugesmith
Wed Aug 12 2015, 08:53PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Thanks for the warnings. Not something to casually inhale on purpose.

It would be interesting to determine if the 3.0% component really is chlorodifluoromethane (R-22), as some of us noticed on the label. Could see if anything condenses inside a glass tube at simple freezing-bath temperatures. BP's of R-22 and enflurane are -41 and +57 degrees C, respectively, but I can't find vapor pressures for enflurane below 20 degrees C.

Even the relatively nontoxic R-22 has IDLH (Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health) values given as 50,000 or 59,000 ppm. Its occupational exposure TLV is 1000 ppm (reached e.g. if entire contents of pictured gas bottle were diluted in 0.75 cubic meter of air). Corresponding TLV for enflurane is 75 ppm, and I found procedures for measuring it at 1 ppm (as might be found in a 1970's operating room?) Link2 Link2

I think most teenagers who die from huffing refrigerants to get a readily-accessible buzz, didn't consider they might pass out with lungs still full of an asphyxiant much denser than air. In videos where teachers demonstrate SF6 voice (the inverse of helium voice), they make a big point of then draining the lungs & bringing in air.

I bet a jar full of gas from pictured bottle, mostly O2 and N2O, would re-light a glowing splint or make a birthday candle burn intensely. While the chloro fluoro component, whatever it is, transforms into much nastier stuff.

Enceladus
Sun Feb 19 2017, 04:59AM
Enceladus Registered Member #61428 Joined: Sat Jan 14 2017, 12:39PM
If you have an oxy-fuel heating torch head and two flow meters you can see what the proportions are for various flame types. Try to see how hot you can get your flame with various fuels.

If you have a precision scale you can determine the specific gravity of the product gas mixture, and from that, calculate the oxygen concentration.
Conundrum
Fri Apr 21 2017, 08:04AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
MAP sensor from car?
I have one here, soon-too-be-removed from my i10 but it still works at least somewhat.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: