All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Radiation
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

filament and negative HV x-ray transformer troubles

Move Thread LAN_403
Vlad
Wed Jul 01 2015, 10:56PM
Vlad Registered Member #9711 Joined: Sat Jan 19 2013, 03:27PM
I recently acquired a 50-60 KV x-ray head with the purpose of dismantling it and using the transformer to drive a mammography rotating anode tube. The purpose will be radiography of low density subjects such as insects and flowers. Anyway, I disassembled the head today and, after quite a bit of testing and checking, determined the correct terminals and voltages needed for them. I have a few questions:

1) The filament was non-adjustable before I opened it and already tied to ground. I separated it upon disassembly so that a resistor can now be placed in line for adjustment of current. However, there is a problem: since I am going to be driving the head transformer with a variac for no more than 20-30 KV output, I am concerned that even at minimal resistance, there won't be enough current getting into the filament. Is there any way I can drive the filament part of the transformer separately, say with a separate variac? How would I hook this up if so?

2) I initally forgot about this, but the head's HV output is in +/- form rather than simply positive or negative. Since the rotating anode tube is going to be separate from the transformer, I am getting a lot of arcing on the filament side of the tube-- the four filament terminals are just too close together. If I had run this DC, the filament would have been at ground, but not the case now. How can I stop the arcing at the filament side? I was thinking of lots of silicone around each terminal, but then I thought that I might be able to somehow place the entire tube in mineral oil with a hole for the output window, caulked around it so that when filled with oil it wouldn't leak. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Vlad
Wolfram
Thu Jul 02 2015, 06:23AM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Typical mammography tubes are designed to be run with the cathode grounded. Running it like this will solve both your problems, as it allows you to drive the cathode from a grounded adjustable regulator or supply, and it will eliminate any arcing at the cathode side.

Typical dental x-ray transformers have a center tapped secondary. You can run the tube from half of the secondary, but a much better solution is to use two diodes to make a full wave rectifier as shown here Link2 . For the diodes, you could use something like 5 of these in series Link2 , which would leave some safety margin.
Vlad
Sat Jul 04 2015, 08:14AM
Vlad
Thu Jul 09 2015, 06:48AM
Wolfram, are you still reading this thread? If so, then I won't start a new thread. I have one or more questions about my now rectified set up.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: