All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

GDT wire

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
zzz_julian_zzz
Tue Jun 30 2015, 03:04PM Print
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
Hi Everyone,

I'm convinced that in order to make a good GDT for coil, one of the criteria is to have a correct core, but what other than this??

In my test, wire being used has very huge effect on the leakage inductance / ringing on the GATE - EMMITER signal.
with UTP cable (awg# 24) leakage is still a bit high and causes high tops (38volts secondary on a 1:1 GDT with primary swing of 24v[N30 core]) .. Not all of this can be answered by just dampening the signal on a resistor on the gate. I tried using insulated magnet wire also awg 24 thick, and surprisingly the leakage L went down and the signal are much better (the pic with signal with low tops is the magnet wire)

I tried breaking the insulation of this MAGNET wire by supplying it with a fused 400vdc power. I twisted it like in GDT fashion and sourced it with 400vdc for about a minute. No shortage/flashover occur. My question is, is this 400vdc I'm planning to apply on a bridge will be the one i should be concerned about in terms of wire insulation? because the GDT might see more than 400vdc here since it is introduced in a AC inverter circuit that outputs +/-400vAC.

Can anyone enlighten me here? Thanks!

1435676682 3964 FT0 Gdts
loneoceans
Tue Jun 30 2015, 06:11PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
zzz_julian_zzz wrote ...

Hi Everyone,

I'm convinced that in order to make a good GDT for coil, one of the criteria is to have a correct core, but what other than this??

In my test, wire being used has very huge effect on the leakage inductance / ringing on the GATE - EMMITER signal.
with UTP cable (awg# 24) leakage is still a bit high and causes high tops (38volts secondary on a 1:1 GDT with primary swing of 24v[N30 core]) .. Not all of this can be answered by just dampening the signal on a resistor on the gate. I tried using insulated magnet wire also awg 24 thick, and surprisingly the leakage L went down and the signal are much better (the pic with signal with low tops is the magnet wire)

I tried breaking the insulation of this MAGNET wire by supplying it with a fused 400vdc power. I twisted it like in GDT fashion and sourced it with 400vdc for about a minute. No shortage/flashover occur. My question is, is this 400vdc I'm planning to apply on a bridge will be the one i should be concerned about in terms of wire insulation? because the GDT might see more than 400vdc here since it is introduced in a AC inverter circuit that outputs +/-400vAC.

Can anyone enlighten me here? Thanks!

1435676682 3964 FT0 Gdts

That’s correct, it's clear that reducing the thickness of the insulation of the wires will reduce the leakage inductance, and you can reduce it even further by using shielded twisted pair. Most commercial pulse transformers are specifically designed with thin insulation to reduce leakage inductance. However I think in practice, the usual twisted pair wires using Cat5 cable works fine.

In fact your GDT output on the gates looks fine (even with your conventional UTP cable). I would recommend using 30V TVSes to avoid damaging your gate insulation.

As for magnet wire insulation, it depends a lot of the wire insulation material and thickness. See this page here for detailed information on calculating the breakdown voltage (Ds). If you’re running say a 600V bus, most good quality magnet wire should be ok. Link2

Depending on what GDT core you use, some of them might have hard edges (e.g. rectangular cross section toroids) - you'll need to be careful not to scrape the insulation off the magnet wire in those cases. :)
Hydron
Tue Jun 30 2015, 06:21PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Kizmo (and I'm assuming others too) has used co-ax to make super low leakage inductance GDTs - using the core as primary and shield as secondary or vice versa.
He's got some pictures floating around of the setup (possibly on the forum), worth looking/asking if you're interested.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Jun 30 2015, 08:49PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Are your familiar with the tests thedatastream made long ago? Link2
Tue Jun 30 2015, 09:21PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
I would shy away from magnet wire, the single GDT I wound with magnet wire was fine for many hours but eventually there was enough physical stress placed on the leads (due to moving the coil, etc) that it arced over and blew up a quite pricey transistor. Maybe if you pot the sucker in epoxy like a commercial transformer, otherwise I would recommend kynar insulated wire (ex, surplus wirewrap wire) if you really need the improved performance, or normal UTP for general work.
klugesmith
Wed Jul 01 2015, 04:45AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Today in a coilgun thread, Der Albi pointed out a cringeworthy video of magnet wire physical abuse. Link2

Back to GDT's, has anyone tried bonded bifilar wire? Link2 has a representative picture:
1435727664 2099 FT1630 Bifilar

I have a spool of untwisted bifilar magnet wire somewhere, with two contrasting insulation colors and a 50 ohm characteristic impedance. Traditional impedance value for twisted pairs of "wire wrap wire" is more like 110 ohms. It matter in baluns; I don't know about GDT's.
zzz_julian_zzz
Thu Jul 02 2015, 02:22AM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
loneoceans wrote ...

fr LONEOCEANS,

That’s correct, it's clear that reducing the thickness of the insulation of the wires will reduce the leakage inductance, and you can reduce it even further by using shielded twisted pair. Most commercial pulse transformers are specifically designed with thin insulation to reduce leakage inductance. However I think in practice, the usual twisted pair wires using Cat5 cable works fine.

In fact your GDT output on the gates looks fine (even with your conventional UTP cable). I would recommend using 30V TVSes to avoid damaging your gate insulation.

As for magnet wire insulation, it depends a lot of the wire insulation material and thickness. See this page here for detailed information on calculating the breakdown voltage (Ds). If you’re running say a 600V bus, most good quality magnet wire should be ok. Link2

Depending on what GDT core you use, some of them might have hard edges (e.g. rectangular cross section toroids) - you'll need to be careful not to scrape the insulation off the magnet wire in those cases. :)

Hi Loneoceans,

Thanks for the info. Yup, I'm using a smooth GDT core BUT, I think I don't want to try this wires anymore because of the insulation issues, and at stake of costly IGBTs :) I decided to just leave it with the trusty UTP since you said waveforms are ok in shape.

Hydron wrote ...

Kizmo (and I'm assuming others too) has used co-ax to make super low leakage inductance GDTs - using the core as primary and shield as secondary or vice versa.
He's got some pictures floating around of the setup (possibly on the forum), worth looking/asking if you're interested.
Hi Hydron,,

Thanks for your reply. Yup, I heard that co-ax cables are good for GDT since these are shielded, but honestly I didn't see anything like it before. I'll google for it. Thanks for the advice.

Mads Barnkob wrote ...

Are your familiar with the tests thedatastream made long ago? Link2

Hi Mads,

Yup, I saw that one before, unfortunately, that site didn't mentioned anything with regards to magnitude of wire insulation. The topic is mainly how to reduce Leakage L I think.. Thanks!

... wrote ...

I would shy away from magnet wire, the single GDT I wound with magnet wire was fine for many hours but eventually there was enough physical stress placed on the leads (due to moving the coil, etc) that it arced over and blew up a quite pricey transistor. Maybe if you pot the sucker in epoxy like a commercial transformer, otherwise I would recommend kynar insulated wire (ex, surplus wirewrap wire) if you really need the improved performance, or normal UTP for general work.

Hi ...,

Even before I would go into these problems of scratching the insulation sheets of magnetic wires, that sheet itself is my question. So, thanks for the advice, I would go for UTP...

klugesmith wrote ...

Today in a coilgun thread, Der Albi pointed out a cringeworthy video of magnet wire physical abuse. Link2

Back to GDT's, has anyone tried bonded bifilar wire? Link2 has a representative picture:
1435727664 2099 FT1630 Bifilar

I have a spool of untwisted bifilar magnet wire somewhere, with two contrasting insulation colors and a 50 ohm characteristic impedance. Traditional impedance value for twisted pairs of "wire wrap wire" is more like 110 ohms. It matter in baluns; I don't know about GDT's.

Wow! Those wires have some extreme insulation and that guy on the vid is ! amazed but I can't put those on a 1" size GDT core :) maybe the thinner ones :) thanks for the comment.

kiat
Thu Oct 22 2015, 01:50PM
kiat Registered Member #2115 Joined: Fri May 08 2009, 01:17PM
Triple insulated wire works well too, or small coax (eg. RG174 ) if you dont need too many turns

I wouldn't trust magnet wire

Link2
nzoomed
Thu Oct 22 2015, 09:09PM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
I believe that UTP cable works quite well.

Im in the middle of constructing mine that will be used for steve wards universal driver.

Im unsure if im assembling it correctly though.

do you basically pair up each colour of wire?
I believe you parallel all the white wires together for the primary, is this correct?
Mads Barnkob
Fri Oct 23 2015, 05:14AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
nzoomed wrote ...

I believe that UTP cable works quite well.

Im in the middle of constructing mine that will be used for steve wards universal driver.

Im unsure if im assembling it correctly though.

do you basically pair up each colour of wire?
I believe you parallel all the white wires together for the primary, is this correct?

That is correct, remember to mark the wires in one end of the cable before twisting the individual wires, so you know the phasing.

I used that method for all my GDTs. From driving TO-247 to CM600.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: