Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

rechargeable batteries and rate of charging

Move Thread LAN_403
IamSmooth
Mon May 18 2015, 05:04PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I have some lead and lithium rechargeable batteries. I even made a solar charger for one of my 6v lead batteries. The solar panel puts out a maximum voltage and the charger cuts out when the battery voltage exceeds a set point.

Can I speed up the charging rate *safely* if I start at a higher voltage, forcing more amps into the battery as long as I cut out at the set voltage? Is there a maximum rate one can pump charge into a battery? Is it a heating issue? I'm guessing there is some issue, otherwise there would be rapid chargers.
Electroholic
Mon May 18 2015, 06:26PM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
Basic charger use the CCCV approach. First, a constant current stage to put in the bulk of the energy, and the a constant voltage stage(soak phase) to top it off, as well allowing the individual cells to self balance(for some chemistry).
Depending on the design of the batteries, there is a maximum rate that it can be charge/discharged, which is the C-rate.

As for solar panel, max volt occurs at zero current draw, and vice versa. And maximum power point for silicon solar cells is at around 80%OCV.
dexter
Mon May 18 2015, 09:09PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
the output of a solar panel varies alot depending on how much light falls on it
rechargeable batteries don't like overvoltage. For lead-acid overvoltage means gas production - damaging the battery and overcgarge also damage the battery

to overcome the above issues you'll need a solar charge controller between panel and battery (e-bay is full of them)
best option (maximum efficiency) is to use a buck converter and a simplified charge controller aka MPPT solar charge controller (e-bay is full of fakes )
IamSmooth
Mon May 18 2015, 10:05PM
IamSmooth Registered Member #190 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 12:00AM
I think my me ntioning the solar confused the issue. I am not concerned with the solar project. That is long done.

I am talking about building a 120vac powered charger for a LiPo battery. Is there a way to build a fast charger that is safe? Right now I have a LiPo pack for a phantom and the charger takes a few hours. Is there a way to speed this up by increasing the initial current?
Electroholic
Tue May 19 2015, 10:37AM
Electroholic Registered Member #191 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 02:01AM
The way to speed it up IS by increasing current. Problem is you need to find the datasheet of your lipo cells. or else, stick to C/3 charge.
Bjørn
Tue May 19 2015, 11:07AM
Bjørn Registered Member #27 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 02:20AM
Lifetime will suffer at higher currents so at some point it might be more economic to buy a spare battery instead. Quadcopters tend to get wrecked or lost long before the battery is worn out so maybe not relevant in this case.
hen918
Tue May 19 2015, 05:24PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
Yhea, lipos are tricky things, they have a reputation for exploding and burning down your house if you don't treat them right. I've never had a problem, and have over 1kwh of lipos, but I've always been careful and never charged anything more than 1C (the battery capacity in Ah, in amps, so that a full charge at 1C should take an hour to complete). NEVER exceed the manufactures specification.
Dr. Slack
Tue May 19 2015, 06:03PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
LiPos have a two-stage charge process. The first, where the terminal voltage stays below 4.2v, can be done very fast, and delivers 75% to 80% of rated capacity. The second, where the current must drop to lower values to maintain 4.2v, can take an hour, topping the capacity off to 100%. Obviously the second stage cannot be rushed. Some commercial fast chargers simply omit the second top-off stage.

You can increase the recharge cycle life at the expense of capacity by using a lower threshold voltage than 4.2v. You can kill them real fast by exceeding 4.2v. If you deliver a constant current of 1C for one hour, the chances are you will shag them, as the terminal voltage is likely to rise above 4.2v towards the end of the charge, even on an initially fully discharged battery.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: