Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

[VTTC] Ticker to mid-secondary arcing.

Move Thread LAN_403
Download
Mon Apr 20 2015, 09:30AM
Download Registered Member #561 Joined: Sat Mar 03 2007, 02:46AM
I've been building a 833A powered VTTC based on Steve Ward's single tube design. Got to first light yesterday with a crude lashup and today I pulled the shunts out of the MOT so I can start tuning it.

First test run after deshunting the MOT I noticed some corona coming off the top of the ticker wire connected to the grid. I (foolishly) ignored this and gave it another run. Not long into it I got what sounded like power arcing off the tickler, across the PVC pipe and onto the secondary. I couldn't tell for sure because it was on the opposite side of the coil to me.

I turned it off very quickly and went to inspect the damage. I tested the resistance of the secondary and got 35KOhms (pretty sure it should be much less than that!) and I need a magnifying glass to be sure but I think the wire melted and broke.

Any idea what was the cause? I had 2nF and 17k on the other side of the tickler coil between that and and ground. My secondary was connected to ground via a steel I-beam cemented into the floor of my shed for mounting a vice on. Ask for any other details, not sure what you need to know.

Photos:

Link2
Link2
Link2
GrantX
Fri Apr 24 2015, 06:33AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
I don't have experience with VTTCs yet, so I cant really give any advice on your grid coil and primary tank circuits.

With the corona you saw, was it coming directly from the tickler coil and the grid terminal on the vacuum tube itself? Or was there noticeable corona around the secondary coil near the site of the flashover? The tickler coil might be positioned too high and the secondary shorted out to earth through your grid leak circuit. If the corona was strictly coming from the tickler coil and its tube connection then perhaps you have too many turns and are getting several kilovolts induced on the winding? I'm not sure if either scenario is accurate, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

EDIT: Just checked your photos again and it looks like you have enough distance between the secondary and primary/grid windings. What sort of output were you getting before the flashover? I remember having a similar incident when tuning a spark gap coil. If I recall, the primary was accidently tuned to a much higher frequency than the secondary and I ended up with some corona around the center of the secondary, with some inter-turn sparking.
Mads Barnkob
Fri Apr 24 2015, 08:11AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
The voltage across the entire feedback winding can actually be quite high, I have had arcing between turns on the feedback when using side by side winded copper magnet wire.

Normal machine tool wire is usually better because of the large distance between the conductors.

It could just be a matter of too high potential difference between windings of the feedback coil or between feedback coil and secondary. The solution is more insulation or everything or lowering coupling.
kilovolt
Fri Apr 24 2015, 05:52PM
kilovolt Registered Member #2018 Joined: Tue Mar 10 2009, 09:56AM
I would place the feedback coil below the primary coil. I've had similar problems in some of my vttc designs and it worked better with lower feedback coil.

Good luck!

kilovolt
Perezx
Mon Apr 27 2015, 09:31AM
Perezx Registered Member #54263 Joined: Thu Jan 15 2015, 09:54AM
This looks like bad resonance and/or too high coupling. The best idea with VTTCs is to run it at low voltage (500V for example), get a small streamer, find the resonant frequencies, interrupter ratio and so on and only then switch to full voltage. Usually you will have to make 2 feedback windings - more turns for low voltage, less turns for high voltage.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: