Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Capacitors for coilguns considered harmful?

Move Thread LAN_403
BigBad
Wed Apr 15 2015, 10:54AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
One of the limits on performance is the power you can get from the capacitors, and big capacitors are relatively expensive.

I was recently thinking about using mains power as a way to power coilguns.

Obviously, the current would be limited, I thought, but not necessarily trivially small.

Consider a 13 amp socket. It can supply ~3.1 kW of power at ~240 volts with a peak voltage of ~340 V or so.

Of course, if you take more than 13 amps, the fuse will blow.

But wait! How long does the fuse take to blow, 13 amps is the average . If you take more for a short time, and less for a short time, it won't blow.

I looked it up. It turns out that you can go about 5 times higher current, briefly, without blowing the fuse, and much longer still if a slower fuse is used. And this is not dangerous, it turns out that mains wiring can easily take that current, briefly; the resistance of the mains wires is very low, it just can't take it for multiple seconds. But high power coilguns fire for only about a hundredth of a second!

So a 13 amp socket can give you 80 amps (which if you think about it is 25 times the power in the resistance of the coils/magnetic force - ~80KW at the coilgun). And a 35 Amp cooker circuit... 175 amps (500kW at the coilgun!!!). Both these numbers are pretty huge.

So it looks like for static firings, that you would never want to use capacitors. I mean, you could certainly have capacitors in the circuit for buffering, but they needn't be really big ones.

There is a caveat or two obviously.

1) Don't remove the fuse, use a slow one if you must, but fuses are really, really, really important
2) if you're on single phase supply, you will need to time your coilgun to the 50 hertz waveform so it fires when there's voltage, otherwise you'll get no current(!) Detecting the mains phase is not particularly difficult. Firing the gun at zero crossing, and running it initially on capacitor for the early stages and then using the mains later on is probably a good idea, coilguns use more power/energy at high speeds.

I would say be careful out there, but you're all using high voltage caps anyway, so I know you must be.
aarpcard
Wed Apr 15 2015, 02:46PM
aarpcard Registered Member #2848 Joined: Tue May 04 2010, 05:19AM
If I'm understanding what you're proposing correctly, I don't think there'll be enough current.

Coil guns operate by having a huge current pass through the firing coils thus inducing a large magnetic flux. All the coil guns I've built have had a current pulse peak of around 1-2kA per coil resulting in about 1 to 2+MW per coil. You really need the high current to get a strong B field. (Also maybe I'm confused, but a 175amp pulse at 340V mains voltage would be about 60kW . . . not 500kW)

175A at 340V will work, but it won't yield the results you can get from decent capacitors.

The only way I could see this being useful would be if you used mains power to fire a coil gun with many many many firing stages - that in itself would be pretty neat though.
hen918
Wed Apr 15 2015, 05:26PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
aarpcard: Based on BigBad's other thread, I'd say he is going for a longer coil length and slower acceleration with less current required.

Orrrrr, you could just throw some large capacitors in there and a large diode or four (plus a current limiting resistor) and you would have your standard coilgun!
klugesmith
Thu Apr 16 2015, 02:02AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
Coil guns operate by having a huge current pass through the firing coils thus inducing a large magnetic flux. All the coil guns I've built have had a current pulse peak of around 1-2kA per coil resulting in about 1 to 2+MW per coil. You really need the high current to get a strong B field.
It's not the amperes, it's the ampere-turns. Anything you could do with 1000 amps, you could do with 100 amps in 10 times as many turns (using thinner wire to fit the same space). The re-wound coil would need 10x the voltage. But then 1/100 of the capacitance would store the same energy and give the same pulse timing as the original.

If you can choose the wire size, you can trade voltage for current to match your power source. Peak power remains the same for a given peak ampere-turn requirement, unless you a) use more copper, b) use metal with lower resistivity, or c) change the coil shape to reduce the average turn length.

That said, people routinely get megawatt power in pulses from electrolytic capacitor banks. It happens in mains wiring under short-circuit conditions, but that's hard on the protection devices.

By the way, in RLC circuits, the product of peak current and initial voltage is much higher than the peak power. But the change in stored energy, divided by discharge time, accurately gives the average power.
aarpcard
Tue Apr 21 2015, 02:41PM
aarpcard Registered Member #2848 Joined: Tue May 04 2010, 05:19AM
. . . but with 10x the turns, with smaller diameter wire, your resistance will skyrocket lengthening your pulse width. As such you'd need longer coils and longer projectiles which usually aren't very efficient.
klugesmith
Wed Apr 22 2015, 06:29AM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
. . . but with 10x the turns, with smaller diameter wire, your resistance will skyrocket lengthening your pulse width.
I think you missed my point. The higher R and L are compensated by using smaller C, as I said above, when rewinding coil to match a different power source. Coil shape and size, stored energy, timing, and power are constant.

Here is a numerical example figured with Barry's Inductor Sim Link2 I chose dimensions to minimize roundoff discrepancies in the integer turns per layer and layer count.
Coil ID = 25 mm, OD = 65 mm, Length = 30 mm.
Wound with 12 AWG & 22 AWG wire (10 AWG steps changes cross-sectional area by factor of 10).
n_turns = 126 & 1276 (n/n = 10.13).
L = 0.418 & 42.911 mH (L/L = 102.7)
R = 0.093 & 9.587 ohms (R/R = 103.1)
wire length = 17.81 & 180.39 m (l/l = 10.13)
wire mass = 0.53 & 0.53 kg (m/m = 1.00)

1429682361 2099 FT170610 Ind1

1429682361 2099 FT170610 Ind2

Now as for the discharge dynamics, let's use Barry's RLC discharge sim Link2
R and L were set as close as possible to inductor sim values.
C = 20000 & 200 uF (C/C = 0.01)
V = 100 & 1000 V (V/V = 10)
E = 100 joules in both cases
I_peak = 454 & 45 amps (I/I = 0.1)
Time to I==0 is 9.52 & 9.68 ms (t/t = 1.02)
Peak ampere turns = 57204 & 57420 (I/I = 1.00)

1429682888 2099 FT170610 Rlc1

1429682888 2099 FT170610 Rlc2

I always wanted to do that exercise. Dale, didn't you ask for something like that?

Product of peak voltage and peak current is about 45.2 kW in both cases. The peak power into the coils is a bit more than half that (because of damping between 1/8 and 1/4 cycle) -- say 28 kW.
From the perspective of original post, consider a 60 amp (RMS) resistive load on 240 volt (RMS) AC circuit. Average power is 14.4 kW, peak power is 28.8 kW. If energized for an isolated half-cycle, I bet that would not trigger overcurrent protection in a typical appliance circuit.

But wait, there's more. Suppose we have the same supply voltage options (100 & 1000 V) and want to increase stored energy to 1000 joules. That means increasing C by a factor of 10, to 0.2 F & 2000 uF.

Used with the coils of 12 & 22 AWG wire, the timing would be underdamped & extend beyond 50 ms.
We can preserve the original pulse timing by rewinding with thicker wire (7 & 17 AWG).
n_turns = 40 & 400.
L = 0.042 & 4.2 mH. Anybody seeing a pattern here?
R = 0.0095 & 0.95 ohms
wire mass is still 0.53 kg.
Back in RLC sim (for 0.2F-100V & 2000uF-1000V)
Peak I = 4476 & 448 A.
Time to I==0 is 9.68 ms for both cases.
Vpk*Ipk = 450 kW. Peak power into the coil is about 280 kW.
Peak ampere-turns is 179000 for both (only 3.16 times greater than the 100 joule cases).
1000 joules will heat any of the 4 coils by about 5 degrees C.

Argh, time to call it a night. Too bad the thread title won't make it easy to find this a year from now.

BigBad
Wed Apr 22 2015, 09:48AM
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
Consider that, in the end, you ideally want to have a certain number of amp turns placed ahead of the projectile, always in the same place relative to it, in a 3D cylindrical blob that's running ahead of it.

So the total field energy is constant- the electrons looping around in the volume don't care much at all whether they're in 10 square turns or a ten thousand turns

But what does matter is the voltage of the coil to the drive circuitry.

I think using different wire only confuses matters.

Suppose you keep the same wire, but break the coil in two longitudinally, and connect them in parallel, using the same wire.

What you've just done is, halved the voltage; or equivalently, doubled the current for the same voltage. It's exactly like feeding your coil through a 2:1 step up transformer.

So if you wind short, flat disks, you never have to rewind, just connect them up differently; like if your active coil consists of 6 disks in series, later stages can be two parallel sets of 3 in series, and then 3 parallel sets of 2 in series, and then finally all 6 in parallel.

The point is the energised section should always be the same shape, and the wire should always be carrying the same volumetric current, and the drive circuitry voltage should always be the same.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: