All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/18 David.Lightman (54)
04/18 jonny5 (40)
04/19 Nicko (56)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Coilgun circuitry (massive staging architecture)

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
BigBad
Mon Apr 13 2015, 04:35PM Print
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
OK, so an ideal circuit for a coilgun would have:

a) the ability to drive *lots* of stages
b) put high(ish) voltage across the coils on and...
c) reverse the voltage across them to turn them off again ASAP
d) carry and be able to drive lots of current
e) computer controlled (arduino or whatever)
f) as cheap as possible and no cheaper ;)

OK, so my idea to do this is:

a) have an inverter (a 2 phase inverter), That's 3 half bridges with IGBTs or FETS. powered from an array of electrolytic caps.

b) a big crosspoint switch using well snubbed TRIACs for each row and column, one for each phase. So 12 TRIACS can handle 6*6=36 coils, 24 TRIACS, 12 for each phase = 72 stages.

TRIACS have decent current and volts. You can also run them in parallel to double their current capacity. They also switch themselves off when the current goes to zero (if they're well snubbed); and you can put negative volts through them from the inverter, which means the coils can be switched off much faster.

I've actually already got this circuitry running for another application, with less TRIACs, so I basically know it works.

Comments?
hen918
Mon Apr 13 2015, 05:56PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
what do you mean by switching the coils off by applying a reverse voltage? surely that would just reverse the field and the force would still act on the projectile.
BigBad
Mon Apr 13 2015, 06:05PM
No, when you switch a coil on (put volts across it to ramp up the current) you have to switch it off again shortly afterwards to avoid suckback. If you use a half bridge, then you're applying zero volts across the coil and the current decays. It's much faster to apply negative volts across the coil until the current decays through zero amps.

If you're powering it through one or more TRIACs, when it transitions through zero current, the TRIAC will automatically disconnect it (provided your snubbing is working).
hen918
Mon Apr 13 2015, 06:52PM
wouldn't that cause a massively high current to flow through the TRIAC (about four times that of the current caused whilst the coil turns on)? wouldn't this waste twice as much power than letting the voltage die away?

(if I am understanding correctly)
klugesmith
Mon Apr 13 2015, 07:08PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
You might want to reconsider assertion a). Complexity carries a cost.
I wouldn't design for more than, say, 5 stages
before laboratory evidence that I could do better with 5 than with 4.

How are you going to manage the gate drives for an XY crosspoint in which the voltage between X and Y rails reverses? It might be enlightening to simulate a 2x2 case, even though that uses just as many switches as 1x4.
I have used a Spice model of basic SCR (made out of BJT's), found on the Internet. You might be able to find something similar for a basic triac.

What would triacs do that you couldn't do with SCR's, if the current pulse in each coil is to be unipolar?
BigBad
Mon Apr 13 2015, 07:24PM
hen918 wrote ...

wouldn't that cause a massively high current to flow through the TRIAC (about four times that of the current caused whilst the coil turns on)? wouldn't this waste twice as much power than letting the voltage die away?

(if I am understanding correctly)
No, the inductors have huge inductance, so the current doesn't change at all quickly; it just can't it's an LR low pass filter.

What does happen is you get voltage swings as the inverter half bridges switch on and off, the Ldi/dt creates voltages.

But inverters get that anyway, that's why there's beefy reverse/clamp diodes across the FET/IGBTs. As they conduct they recharge the diode on the DC bus, so far from wasting power it actually puts it back where you want it.

klugesmith wrote ...

You might want to reconsider assertion a). Complexity carries a cost.
I wouldn't design for more than, say, 5 stages
before laboratory evidence that I could do better with 5 than with 4.
It turns out it doesn't matter a lot, the TRIACs are the inexpensive bit. It turns out that I already have a board that could drive 9 coils.
klugesmith wrote ...

How are you going to manage the gate drives for an XY crosspoint in which the voltage between X and Y rails reverses? It might be enlightening to simulate a 2x2 case, even though that uses just as many switches as 1x4.
I have used a Spice model of basic SCR (made out of BJT's), found on the Internet. You might be able to find something similar for a basic triac.
Yeah, I've already modelled them, and even built them. It wasn't intended for this, but I just realised it would probably work.
klugesmith wrote ...
What would triacs do that you couldn't do with SCR's, if the current pulse in each coil is to be unipolar?
They're cheap and fairly easy to drive, and they're pretty robust.
hen918
Mon Apr 13 2015, 07:40PM
what you have, in effect, is an inductor and a resistor in series. When the power is cut to the inductor, the voltage will swing negative anyway, applying a negative voltage to that is only going to exacerbate it.
BigBad
Mon Apr 13 2015, 07:53PM
You get twice the volts across the inductor, so it switches off twice as fast.

I also put some reasonably huge clamp diodes on the side of the triac that's connected to the coil. Otherwise I found I had some nasty resonances with the snubber and other potential issues during turn off. They don't need heatsinks, but they take large currents.
hen918
Tue Apr 14 2015, 04:52PM
BigBad wrote ...

You get twice the volts across the inductor, so it switches off twice as fast.

I also put some reasonably huge clamp diodes on the side of the triac that's connected to the coil. Otherwise I found I had some nasty resonances with the snubber and other potential issues during turn off. They don't need heatsinks, but they take large currents.

sorry if I sound obnoxious, but if you have diodes in parallel with your TRIAC, you might as well use thyristors.
BigBad
Tue Apr 14 2015, 05:12PM
Perhaps, there's certainly a million ways to do this kind of thing, although the diodes are just 13 pence each.

I had a board fabricated to hold the circuitry, and it held 6 TRIACs. It turned out that the board was about 80% of the cost.

In any case I actually needed the TRIACs for my other application anyway.

It may well be possible to use SCRs instead, and it might or might not be slightly cheaper, but probably not a lot different.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: