Rustycan (30)
H8erade (28)
Flood_of_SYNs (41)

Next birthdays
04/17 KaV (34)
04/17 Dave_P (38)
04/18 David.Lightman (54)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tubes to sell off for better VTTC ones

Move Thread LAN_403
MrCRC
Sun Apr 05 2015, 04:41PM
MrCRC Registered Member #54724 Joined: Mon Mar 30 2015, 01:12AM
Hi:

I have some tubes that I think may be better to sell off and use the money to buy other tubes more suited to VTTC use:

2 of VT-4-C / 211
6 of VT-101 / 837
1 of 830B

I heard that I should sell off the 211 tubes and get a 833 instead. I'd like additional tube recommendations considering the following:

I wish to make a small VTTC, running from a plate supply of about 400V / 0.1A to about 1000V / 0.2A. I'd like to start with the smallest VTTC / lowest voltage levels first.

Recently I've obtained a bunch of TV Horizontal Output tubes, ranging from small (6BQ6GTB: 6kV, 11W) to the largest (6LF6/6LX6: 8kV, 40W). I think that these should be good for small VTTCs running at lower voltages since they are relatively lower impedance tubes vs. many RF amp. tubes, and so may be better for VTTC operating at lower input voltages.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Download
Tue Apr 07 2015, 08:38AM
Download Registered Member #561 Joined: Sat Mar 03 2007, 02:46AM
If you're using an 833A (I'm building one right now, actually) or 833C you would use a MOT with a voltage doubler to get 4kV in very short runs of 1kW or so.

11W and 40w is absolutely miniscule and you won't get very much performance from either. 400v to 1kV is also on the very low side for VTTC voltage though I can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work - though I'm no expert in the field.

You can pick up a Soviet clone of the 833A called the GU-48 for about US$100-120 on eBay.
MrCRC
Wed Apr 08 2015, 03:43PM
MrCRC Registered Member #54724 Joined: Mon Mar 30 2015, 01:12AM
There are many VTTCs running with tubes such as PL504 (14W) which produce fine performance for their size:

Link2

Note that tubes typically can output more power than their plate dissipation rating.

833A is just too big for my present accomodations. So, I'll stick with my plans to start with the TV tubes.

After looking over the tube list on the wiki.hv.org (plus other sources), I've become interested in these tubes now:

811A
GK-71
6146B/8298A

Download
Thu Apr 09 2015, 04:35AM
Download Registered Member #561 Joined: Sat Mar 03 2007, 02:46AM
Wow, that is tiny. Whatever floats your boat I guess.
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Apr 15 2015, 09:53PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Any transmitting/oscillator tube with adequate plate dissipation rating will work in a VTTC, just the right grid voltages and currents need to be selected (and sometimes additional grid supplies are needed, but this can be worked around with a cleverly tapped grid coil).
The list is just too long, there are literally hundreds of usable tubes. Just from the top of my head / lyin around (mostly Russian/European tubes):
GU81M, TB5/2500, TB4/1250 (any other TBx/xxxx tube from Philips), SRS360, SRS457, T380-1, RD200B, GU5B, GU39B, GU43B, GU47B, GU56, GU46, GU48, 304TL (a great tube, can supply large cathode currents) and finally the GMI-2B (more of an artifact - one of the largest glass tubes, pulse modulator beam tetrode rated at 32kVdc/110A peak current).

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: