Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Jack (13)

Next birthdays
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
04/26 Bead (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Possibly the end of shootthrough in SSTC's

Move Thread LAN_403
Teodor Zafiroski
Thu Mar 26 2015, 07:36PM
Teodor Zafiroski Registered Member #48007 Joined: Wed Jun 18 2014, 01:00PM
Anybody who has ever tried to build or actually built an SSTC, knows that half bridge and full bridge designs are prone to shoottrough. This problem becomes rather expensive when you use more expensive transistors. This problem can be solved using dead time between the turn off of one MOSFET and the turn on of the other. This forces the engineer to implement some sort of a circuit that ensures a long enough dead time to effectively protect the switching elements.
      Many gate driver chips have built in dead-time, but when using devices with slow switching speed, this dead time may not be sufficient.
      At a time, I was thinking about solving this problem for good, sort of a universal short-circuit protection for SSTC's using half and full wave inverter topologies. I came up with this (simplified) design...

Id80VTq

Here is how the two interwound coils would look in real life (again simplified).

A9del6U

Here's a schematic representation of the coil's magnetic field when the current flows through the red coil:

L1vv1XN

Here's a schematic representation of the coil's magnetic field when the current flows through the blue coil:

88NkeLh

This could be implemented in full bridge topology using a system like in this schematic.

MzNJmRP

In this case the only path the current could take is through a coil.

So, my question is:
-Could the improved half bridge schematic work, and if it could, what would happen if the two switching elements were on simultaneously?
-Could the improved full bridge schematic work, and if it could, what would happen if the four switching elements were on simultaneously?
-What an effect could the current flowing through the both coils (in both improvements) have on the rest of the schematic?
Al comments are welcome.
Wolfram
Thu Mar 26 2015, 07:59PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
This could work in a zero-current switched application like an SSTC. In cases where you don't have ZCS, the MOSFETs will have to avalanche any energy stored in the leakage inductance between L1 and L2 on every switching cycle, giving huge losses, I think. It could be an idea to add some diodes to the full bridge one, to clamp the two primaries between the supply rails during dead-time, basically making it like two magnetically coupled two-switch forward converters. This will return any energy that's stored in the leakage inductance back to the DC bus capacitor.

In the case where both switches on the same side are on at the same time, there will be something like shoot-through, but the dI/dt will be limited by the leakage inductance between the primaries.

I haven't really had much trouble with shoot-through myself, even when using GDTs. For most of my projects lately, I've used the Silabs SI823x series of isolated gate drivers, they provide a wide range of dead-time, set by a single resistor. I haven't used them in an SSTC yet, but it's only a question of time.
Teodor Zafiroski
Fri Mar 27 2015, 07:49PM
Wolfram wrote ...
In the case where both switches on the same side are on at the same time, there will be something like shoot-through, but the dI/dt will be limited by the leakage inductance between the primaries.
I had a wild thought that the opposing magnetic fields created by the two coils would resist further flow of current. So, back to the drawing board...
omegalabs
Sat Mar 28 2015, 12:00PM
omegalabs Registered Member #1521 Joined: Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:46AM
Check out skory's mini tesla from 2005: Link
Separated primaries can work really well.
Ash Small
Mon Mar 30 2015, 04:52PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Doesn't a full bridge become redundant with this setup?

Surely you only need one switch in each leg. You can replace the high side switches with diodes to block back EMF or whatever it's called, can't you?

You only need a full bridge when using a single coil, that's the point of it, isn't it?

Or have I missed something?
Teodor Zafiroski
Mon Mar 30 2015, 05:24PM
Yeah, I didn't thought much about that... If we simplify it, Q1 and Q2 do nothing, we can remove them, and we are left with two coils fired alternately, a design already known in the HV community. I've seen it somewhere, just don't know where...
As for the replacement with diodes, I don't think they are even needed.
And no, you haven"t missed anything...
Ash Small
Mon Mar 30 2015, 06:03PM
I think 'Centre Tapped Coil' is the word you are looking for wink
hen918
Mon Mar 30 2015, 07:47PM
hen918 Registered Member #11591 Joined: Wed Mar 20 2013, 08:20PM
They are wound in bifilar. the Q1 / Q3 side might as well be shorted together. Then you just end up with a half or full bridge driving an inductor.
Ash Small
Mon Mar 30 2015, 09:25PM
as anyone yet built a DRSSTC using a centre tapped, bifilar coil?

Ive been trying towork out a schematic in my head, I think I've got it, but not put it into CAD yet.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: