Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Finally a member!

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Alex Yuan
Thu Mar 26 2015, 02:28AM Print
Alex  Yuan Registered Member #9614 Joined: Mon Jan 14 2013, 10:00PM
For over a year I had issues making an account and today I decided to try logging in and it worked! :P

Anyway, hello everyone!

Here are my twin coils:
Link2
nzoomed
Thu Mar 26 2015, 03:09AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Hi there, nice coil build!
Im working on a coil which will have similar specs to yours, im going to go to a 30AWG wire on 160mm pipe though as i think it will let me get longer sparks without striking the rail.

It took me a while for my account to get activated here too, ive only been on here less than a week :)
Benjamin
Thu Mar 26 2015, 04:06AM
Benjamin Registered Member #54655 Joined: Thu Mar 19 2015, 05:56PM
Hi nzoomed. I just got my account activated a few days ago too! I had a little bit of trouble but it works now.
I've built several sgtc's and a few sstc's and my best spark length was 40 inches with an sgtc at 1 kW! It's great to talk to other people who understand this sort of thing!
nzoomed
Thu Mar 26 2015, 04:26AM
nzoomed Registered Member #54503 Joined: Sun Feb 22 2015, 10:35PM
Benjamin wrote ...

Hi nzoomed. I just got my account activated a few days ago too! I had a little bit of trouble but it works now.
I've built several sgtc's and a few sstc's and my best spark length was 40 inches with an sgtc at 1 kW! It's great to talk to other people who understand this sort of thing!
Ye it is, but TBH, im pretty new to all of this, most of my electronic experience has been valve amplifiers!
Ive wanted to make a tesla coil for some time and now ive got the resources and time to do so.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Mar 26 2015, 07:12AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Welcome to all the new members :)

That is a cute little set of twins you have built Ahyuan, nice and simple construction.
Uspring
Thu Mar 26 2015, 11:19AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Hi Ahyuan, nice build.

I was wondering about your statement about reducing burst length at the end of your page. Did you do that in order not to hit the OCD? What is your burst length? I believe, that you should be able to get more spark length from your coil. My biggest one uses a CM300-24 half bridge running at 640V (1000A peak) and gets almost 7'. It's tuned in such a way, that the OCD just won't trigger, even for long burst length.

Alex Yuan
Thu Mar 26 2015, 02:55PM
Alex  Yuan Registered Member #9614 Joined: Mon Jan 14 2013, 10:00PM
Thanks!

Uspring the max pulse width went down to around 120uS. After that and the sparks don't grow more. Before I needed about 180uS.
I know I can get more out of these coils, I'm open to suggestions!

Here's a video of it more in tune:
Link2
Sulaiman
Thu Mar 26 2015, 05:59PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Welcome Alex,
nice work, congratulations.
Uspring
Fri Mar 27 2015, 01:59PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Alex Yuan wrote:
I know I can get more out of these coils, I'm open to suggestions!
Here some observations:

When you run your full bridge at e.g. 600V, you'll add 1200V to your primary tank caps every time you switch. After 7 switches, i.e. about 50us, you'll have charged your caps up to full voltage. This applies only, if there are no losses in the primary tank. Obviously, that is not the case, since you seem to be able to run 120us bursts without the OCD kicking in.

The biggest single reason for losses is transfer of energy to the secondary. That is, of course, intended, and well so. I'm a bit surprised, though, that this happens so fast. 50us is not much time and requires a lot of coupling in order to transfer energy fast to the secondary.
Another source of losses is parasitic primary resistance, e.g. in your winding, wiring or bus cap ESR. You can check that by removing your secondary and slowly increasing the variac voltage until the OCD is hit. The bus voltage at this time will tell you, how much voltage is lost in the primary. It should be a small fraction of the max voltage.

One of my favorite ideas is to store as much as possible energy in the primary tank. The primary is tuned to a low frequency, so that most energy transfer to the secondary will be deferred until the arc finally breaks out and pulls the secondary into tune. At this point the arc will be powered by the bridge and also by the energy stored in the primary tank.

This mode of operation requires a high Z primary, i.e. much primary inductance and less, although higher voltage primary capacitance.
Gregary Boyles
Tue Mar 31 2015, 01:15PM
Gregary Boyles Registered Member #9039 Joined: Wed Dec 26 2012, 03:31PM
Hi Alex. Nice coils and nice sparks.

I am using the wire from the secondaries of MOTs, so my secondary coils don't look quite so 'sparkly'.

But they should still work OK.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: