All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC killing DC power supplies

Move Thread LAN_403
chris_inkubate
Thu Mar 05 2015, 06:40PM
chris_inkubate Registered Member #46007 Joined: Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:02PM
Hi All,
I have a strange problem with my DRSSTC and would appreciate some advice please. When using the DRSSTC at low voltage into the bridge so only small arcs the whole system operates fine for ages. However once I power the bridge up to mains voltage and are getting the larger 1m plus arcs its only a few seconds before the 24V power supply running the UD2.5 board blows. Its now blown a 1A mains iron core transformer and a 2.5A 24V switched mode PSU. The IGBT's and bridge circuit remain un-damaged.

The coil is using two half bridge bricks, UD2.5 with both gate drive output stages in place one running each IGBT brick.

Any ideas would be most welcome as its running nice apart from this happening.

Many Thanks
chris_inkubate
Fri Mar 06 2015, 07:00PM
chris_inkubate Registered Member #46007 Joined: Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:02PM
I have a little more information to add now. I've tried adding more shielding around the electronics and also a ferrite on the DC lead from the PSU. However another PSU has blown.

This PSU upon inspection though shows that the damage is to the input sections with bad burning around its PTC and varistor. This leads me to believe that high voltage is somehow getting into the mains input of the PSU. To make it more confusing the PSU gets its mains supply from a socket across the opposite side of the room from where the bridge is powered from and also has no earth connection.

Does anyone know of any circumstance where HV gets back into the mains via the Live / Neutral leads? I have TVS diodes from the bridge o/p to the -Ve supply of the bridge and a 100nF cap from the -Ve rail to ground. I'm wondering if the issues lies here?

Many Thanks
GrantX
Sat Mar 07 2015, 07:10AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Hmm, I've seen minor noise on the live and neutral due to cheap SMPS units with no/inadequate filtering. A DRSSTC isn't cheap, but it certainly isn't "low noise" either ;)

Perhaps place a bigger common-mode EMI filter (one with decoupling caps tying all three conductors together) between the 24V PSU and its mains connection? It might be worth trying before resorting to a more expensive option. Even just three capacitors across the mains conductors without the common-mode choke could help.
Mads Barnkob
Sun Mar 08 2015, 11:11AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I am thinking more along the lines that the galvanic isolation in your GDT is broken at higher bridge voltages and you inject full DC bus voltage backwards into the driver section.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: