All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC design guide

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Mads Barnkob
Fri Feb 13 2015, 07:49AM Print
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
Hello all

I have finally found the time to write a long guide about practical DRSSTC design. I try to cover the most critical design issues in a way that most electronics interested should be able to understand. I have tried to hand pick the necessary theory and calculations to our specific purposes of building a DRSSTC.

It is a work in progress and I would like to invite you all to help me make it better, correct and add more topics.

Topics of the DRSSTC design guide
01. Rectifiers (done)
02. Busbar and primary circuit (done)
03. IGBTs (done)
04. DC bus capacitor (done)
05. PFC (20% done)
06. Snubber capacitor (done)
07. MMC / tank capacitors (10% done)
08. GDT / driver (5% done)
09. Secondary coil (done)
10. Topload (done)
11. Grounding and EMI (10% done)
12. Tuning and testing (10% done)
13. Featured Tesla coils (0% done)
14. DRSSTC FAQ
15. Online design tools

I have learned a lot by writing this guide so far, I would almost say that everything I built so far is not optimal and hardly ever took notice of good design practises :)

I hope this guide can help others to understand why and how components are chosen for a DRSSTC.

Graham Armitage
Fri Feb 13 2015, 12:59PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Wow - this is fantastic. Quite a project you have taken on. Having all this intel in one place will be invaluable. While your knowledge far exceeds mine, I would be happy to proof-read and provide feedback. Were you thinking of adding sections for Secondary Coil and Top-Load - size ratios, wire guide, materials etc. ?
Mads Barnkob
Fri Feb 13 2015, 07:20PM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

Wow - this is fantastic. Quite a project you have taken on. Having all this intel in one place will be invaluable. While your knowledge far exceeds mine, I would be happy to proof-read and provide feedback. Were you thinking of adding sections for Secondary Coil and Top-Load - size ratios, wire guide, materials etc. ?

This is not just my knowledge, but also the knowledge of the community, with some explanation to the best practises from manufacturers application notes and research papers :)

I added secondary and topload chapters, cut out the PFC chapter to be its own.

Even just proof reading would be very helpful, as English is my 2nd language there is bound to be wrong grammatical written, and weird sentence constructions etc :)
Mads Barnkob
Mon Feb 23 2015, 12:45PM
First post updated.

Chapter 4 about DC bus capacitors is finished and ready for review :)

EDIT: password protection is now removed, forgot about it.
Sigurthr
Tue Feb 24 2015, 01:27AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
You should put in about the pulse width, tank voltage rating, and switch current peak ratings as well (all three are mathematically related). This is a subject not well covered in most resources and a major stumbling point I ran into a while back. I eventually wrote up a simple C++ calculator program to do the math for me, which has proven indispensable when roughing out design parameters. (I can link it if requested, but don't want to hijack your thread).

The short of it is if you choose too low of a voltage or current rating you'll severely limit the maximum pulse width to the point that you cripple your system.
Uspring
Tue Feb 24 2015, 10:06AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
A very nice writeup smile
In the part about IGBTs you calculate the duty cycle by dividing burst length by burst period. Is this correct, since the IGBT is only on during half the RF period?

Mads Barnkob
Tue Feb 24 2015, 10:26AM
Sigurthr wrote ...

You should put in about the pulse width, tank voltage rating, and switch current peak ratings as well (all three are mathematically related). This is a subject not well covered in most resources and a major stumbling point I ran into a while back. I eventually wrote up a simple C++ calculator program to do the math for me, which has proven indispensable when roughing out design parameters. (I can link it if requested, but don't want to hijack your thread).

The short of it is if you choose too low of a voltage or current rating you'll severely limit the maximum pulse width to the point that you cripple your system.

It is not easy writing a guide for new coilers to explain in details how to make some choices, when most of the design have to be thought about before starting :) I might have to add a "Initial design thoughts" chapter, most people should have an idea of the size of coil they want to build and thus some ball park figures could be listed.

My plan was originally to explain these things in IGBT and MMC chapters as separate items, but not more separate than they are interlinked and one of the chapters would have to carry the weight and the other just reference to it, that is what I have done so far in the published chapters.

Uspring wrote ...

A very nice writeup smile
In the part about IGBTs you calculate the duty cycle by dividing burst length by burst period. Is this correct, since the IGBT is only on during half the RF period?

There are many uncertainties in using the hard switching data from the manufacturers and converting it to soft switching data, I have mostly used assumptions like a sinus wave has less than half the area of a square wave. Always keeping a head room so we do overengineer, it has a touch of practical experience put in, because if I really derated to the exact wave forms the result is ridiculously high and unrealistic switching speeds.

Maybe I do not mention this clear enough in the start of the chapter?
Wolfram
Tue Feb 24 2015, 12:27PM
Wolfram Registered Member #33 Joined: Sat Feb 04 2006, 01:31PM
Excellent initiative, finally all the information on DRSSTC construction is collected in one place.

I'm reading through it at the moment, and I'll write comments here as I go along.

For the busbar chapter, where you talk about switching spikes, I don't fully agree with your formula. The formula you give will give you the AC voltage ripple on the bus caused by the inductance, but the switching spikes can be much worse than this. The switching spikes are given by the same formula V = L*dI/dt, but with dI/dt given by the IGBT switching time and the conducted current at the switching instant. The conducted current at the switching instant is given by Ipk*sin(switching phase angle). I'm not entirely sure if there are other mechanisms at play as well, but I think this is the major one.

It could also be good to mention potential losses from eddy currents induced into materials near the primary and primary wiring.

This is hard to find good information about, but copper tubing is normally phosphor deoxidized, so it has significantly lower conductivity than pure copper.

Phosphorus is the most commonly used deoxidant for copper but does have a deleterious effect
on the conductivity of the copper which will be around 92% IACS at a phosphorus content of
0.015%, reducing to about 78% at 0.05%.
Link2

Luckily, when used for high frequency stuff, the skin depth increases with lower conductivity, so the problem is not as bad as it first seems.

Excellent point about the switching losses being mostly uncorrelated with switching times.

Do you have a diagram of the internal circuit of the IGBT? It could be useful since you talk about the internal MOSFET, which is not explained elsewhere.

I really like the discussion on IGBT switching speed, some very good points on a topic where there otherwise is a lot of confusion.

Assuming that switching losses will decrease with increasing gate voltage is maybe not realistic.

I'll have a look through the rest later, but generally there's not much to criticise, it's very solid work and well explained.
Sigurthr
Wed Feb 25 2015, 01:05AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I'm reading through your guide so far, Mads, looks great. Might I recommend you change "Vripple" to "Vtransient" on the BusBar page to avoid confusing inexperienced readers?
Mads Barnkob
Wed Feb 25 2015, 09:02AM
Wolfram wrote ...

Excellent initiative, finally all the information on DRSSTC construction is collected in one place.

I'm reading through it at the moment, and I'll write comments here as I go along.

For the busbar chapter, where you talk about switching spikes, I don't fully agree with your formula. The formula you give will give you the AC voltage ripple on the bus caused by the inductance, but the switching spikes can be much worse than this. The switching spikes are given by the same formula V = L*dI/dt, but with dI/dt given by the IGBT switching time and the conducted current at the switching instant. The conducted current at the switching instant is given by Ipk*sin(switching phase angle). I'm not entirely sure if there are other mechanisms at play as well, but I think this is the major one.

It could also be good to mention potential losses from eddy currents induced into materials near the primary and primary wiring.

This is hard to find good information about, but copper tubing is normally phosphor deoxidized, so it has significantly lower conductivity than pure copper.

Phosphorus is the most commonly used deoxidant for copper but does have a deleterious effect
on the conductivity of the copper which will be around 92% IACS at a phosphorus content of
0.015%, reducing to about 78% at 0.05%.
Link2

Luckily, when used for high frequency stuff, the skin depth increases with lower conductivity, so the problem is not as bad as it first seems.

Excellent point about the switching losses being mostly uncorrelated with switching times.

Do you have a diagram of the internal circuit of the IGBT? It could be useful since you talk about the internal MOSFET, which is not explained elsewhere.

I really like the discussion on IGBT switching speed, some very good points on a topic where there otherwise is a lot of confusion.

Assuming that switching losses will decrease with increasing gate voltage is maybe not realistic.

I'll have a look through the rest later, but generally there's not much to criticise, it's very solid work and well explained.

The 440A/us used in the switching transient calculation is derived from a CM300 switching 1000A at 100kHz. That is the current it is conducting at the start of the switch off time. It is however too high as I have not yet changed this example along with the changes I made to the IGBT chapter with assumed hard switching current at soft switching turn-off.

Proximity issues with metal and closed loops near the primary is a important subject that I had forgotten to include :)

Interesting about pure copper vs. treated copper. I will see what I can find and how much the difference is at the frequencies we work at. It could be it is just worth mentioning, but the effect is so little that its not worth worrying about.

I will add a internal model of the IGBT, I was thinking about it once I started mentioning the abstract internal parts of the IGBT, but got away from it in the heat of battle.

Higher gate voltage might only help on switching losses if we get to the point of raising the maximum limit of conducted current vs rating. I would assume that a higher voltage would make hole injection / recombination faster from the higher potential difference, but I am not completely sure on this.

Thanks for the kind words and some good points.

Sigurthr wrote ...

I'm reading through your guide so far, Mads, looks great. Might I recommend you change "Vripple" to "Vtransient" on the BusBar page to avoid confusing inexperienced readers?

Thank you and I will change it to avoid confusion :)
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: