Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tuning a VTTC primary - Is a variable capacitor a good idea?

Move Thread LAN_403
Cool Dude Clem
Tue Feb 10 2015, 03:30AM
Cool Dude Clem Registered Member #53981 Joined: Tue Dec 16 2014, 02:23AM
Recently I built a new VTTC, I'm also a little new to the whole VTTC thing, I built a few in the past but this is the only one that's given me any good output. I'm using a doubled MOT as the HV supply, a GU-81 pentode, a 60W light bulb with 3nf capacitor across it as my grid leak, I'm not sure how many turns my secondary is (something like 300-500 turns on a paper towel tube (about 30 cm long)), my feedback is about 12 turns of single strand (telephone) wire wound onto the bottom of the secondary, and my primary is about 44 turns of regular insulated wire, wound onto a 10cm form. The trouble is that I'm a little concerned about what I'm using to tune the primary. Since I've had no luck with using a fixed capacitor and a primary with multiple taps, I decided to do something insane and get an air-gap tuning capacitor from an old junked radio, submerge it in oil and use that. It does work and I can tune the primary to where it is needed, and even running off a doubled MOT I haven't had any arcing across the capacitor plates yet, but is this wise? Or should I find the ideal capacitance and invest in some pulse-rated caps if I ever find any (here in the UK they seem impossible to find)?

I'll add some pictures to give you a better idea of the specs and stuff:

The whole thing: (BTW the primary was wound from 2 pieces of wire joined together)

1423538404 53981 FT0 Tesla 1

As much output as I dare to tune it (I could tune it a little better to get more output, but I think that might destroy my secondary)

1423538540 53981 FT0 Tesla 2

The tuning capacitor:

1423538634 53981 FT0 Tesla 4

and finally the feedback:

1423538843 53981 FT0 Tesla 3

I would include a schematic, but it's still in my head and I haven't put it down on paper yet. anyway it IS the same standard VTTC schematic we've all seen like 100 times already!
TwirlyWhirly555
Tue Feb 10 2015, 06:53AM
TwirlyWhirly555 Registered Member #4104 Joined: Fri Sept 23 2011, 06:54PM
Regarding the capapcitors I don't know much about variable capacitors in TC use but you can get ceramic RF transmitting caps from eBay that would probably perform better and they don't cost to much .

For my VTTC I used one 1.5nF capacitor with my 811a and tuned the primary by adding / removing turns .

The red thing just behind the secondary is the primary tank capacitor .

8729184228 Ed0bd8b15cSAM_1012 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

GrantX
Mon Feb 16 2015, 09:24AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
I think I've seen another VTTC system on Youtube that also used one of those open air variable capacitors. As far as performance goes, the oil submerged cap should provide fairly low losses. A large RF ceramic capacitor and a coil with many taps (several per turn) could be even better. Before investing in an expensive capacitor, I would try and shorten all the connections and use the heaviest gauge cable possible, that will help lower system losses even more than switching from oil to ceramic dielectric.

The only thing that worries me about the variable capacitor is the amount of insulation between the plates and the dial. I hope you don't adjust the capacitor while the MOT is energized! :)

By the way, I enjoy your youtube videos. It seems like the majority of people who upload HV and Tesla coil videos end up on this forum eventually. It really is a small world.
Perezx
Wed Mar 18 2015, 08:14AM
Perezx Registered Member #54263 Joined: Thu Jan 15 2015, 09:54AM
The best idea is to find a resonant frequency using this oil cap, then get it out of the VTTC and measure its capacity. So you will know which cap you should buy.
Bud
Fri Oct 16 2015, 06:36PM
Bud Registered Member #54930 Joined: Tue Apr 28 2015, 01:38PM
I have built and rebuilt the same 833 VTTC many times. Shortening the secondary to find the optimum sword like sparks. The best way to tune is to find the resonant freq. of the secondary using a scope and signal generator. The seconday cannot be close to the primary for this test! It must be away by several feet!

Once the freq. is found, then find a cap you think you may want to try and combine with the primay circuit and tune the primary by itself by changing the taps. This is the easiest method that I have found. Once these two match freq. you are ready to go. One of the problems you may run into is not having enough turns on the primary.......this I found the hard way. To change taps I cut away just enough of the insulation of the primary wire to solder on some short taps every turn or so just so they do not all line up in a row. They stick out sideways. This allows very easy and quick freq. finding with any cap.

I was just down to the midohio teslathon and Roger Smith had around 8 VTTC's there and they all had this tapping arrangement. It works well and allows you to change caps at any time. The connection from the cap to the tap can be as simple as a alligator clip to allow quick changing of the taps. Try it and you'll be happy.

Bud
Dr. Drone
Sun Oct 18 2015, 07:22AM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM

shades

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: