Rustycan (30)
H8erade (28)
Flood_of_SYNs (41)

Next birthdays
04/16 Rustycan (30)
04/16 H8erade (28)
04/16 Flood_of_SYNs (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Circular railgun?

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
BigBad
Wed Jan 21 2015, 02:05AM Print
BigBad Registered Member #2529 Joined: Thu Dec 10 2009, 02:43AM
I was toying with the idea of making a circular railgun. I figure if you bend the rails around in a near circle, and used a ball bearing for the projectile it could get up to a fair speed.

It might be possible to do it in the bottom of a jam jar and use aluminium foil for the contacts. You need rigid sides to minimise rolling resistance.

If there's a scoopy thing, perhaps I could use an electromagnet to time the release and fire it out the scoop when it reaches top speed by sliding it over a bit maybe.
Sulaiman
Wed Jan 21 2015, 09:02AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
the principle sounds workable
but in a glass jar ?!

how about something like
model railway track glued to the inside of a pvc pipe?
DerAlbi
Wed Jan 21 2015, 10:06AM
DerAlbi Registered Member #2906 Joined: Sun Jun 06 2010, 02:20AM
A railgun is a device that is particulary known for its wear and tear of its rails. I do not think that you could use aluminum foil for contacting. the movement alone will produce plasma/arcs that will consume your foil in no time, dont you think?

Even with just placing a ball on 2 parallel wires will make the thing practically questionable. It will kind of float on its plasma and since the ball is not restrained down with pressure the contact will be horible. I dont know if you ever watched a trams wheels on the rails.. even with that pressure you sometimes see it arcing.

But yeah: interesting idea. you are practically limited by radial forces only and you could have a quite long acceleration distance in a good form factor. the increase of speed will actually put some pressure on the rails... hmmh.
First electromagnetic accelerator with an inherently spinning projectile tongue haha
Shrad
Wed Jan 21 2015, 10:17AM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
totally imaginary concept but very related... if you have a torus in which the interior had two conductive zones acting like rails, and a bead of mercury which would act as the shell, would it accelerate and evaporate and form a rotating plasma in the torus?

I guess the conductive rails would have to be superconductive and contain nothing but the mercury

accelerating a projectile would be easily achieved in a circular accelerator, but for a railgun it would be really difficult to design a mechanical path disconnection which would be applicable at such speeds
dexter
Wed Jan 21 2015, 03:38PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
first alot of force will be wasted in the radial direction
2nd the above looses depends highly on the radius - the smaller the radius the bigger the looses - to such extent that at a certain radius the projectile would stop inside the loop or even burst through the rails

also the projectile will move in a straight line after leaving the gurved rails - so no curve the bullet still remains in the fiction world :)

if you have the materials build it regardless of how counterintuitive it sounds
BigBad
Wed Jan 21 2015, 05:46PM
DerAlbi wrote ...

A railgun is a device that is particulary known for its wear and tear of its rails. I do not think that you could use aluminum foil for contacting. the movement alone will produce plasma/arcs that will consume your foil in no time, dont you think?
The thing is the current is a lot lower, with a normal railgun you need super high current to get decent speed before the end of the rail, with this you can go around lots of times at lower acceleration.

You're still going to need to wind up the voltage though, the top speed of a railgun is limited by the back emf of the rotor; it's actually a form of universal motor.

Sulaiman wrote ...

the principle sounds workable
but in a glass jar ?!

how about something like
model railway track glued to the inside of a pvc pipe?
PVC is really too soft, you'll get lots of rolling friction; you need something really hard like steel or glass.

wrote ...

first alot of force will be wasted in the radial direction
No, the radial isn't (directly) lossy. The friction force is lossy; which is proportional with the rolling friction (and the radial force.) For steel on steel or steel on glass, that's going to be pretty high.
wrote ...

2nd the above looses depends highly on the radius - the smaller the radius the bigger the looses - to such extent that at a certain radius the projectile would stop inside the loop or even burst through the rails
Yes you probably wouldn't want two rails with a gap between them; although if the ball bearing weighs a gram and the g-force is a 1000, then that's only a kilogram force; 10 N.
wrote ...

also the projectile will move in a straight line after leaving the gurved rails - so no curve the bullet still remains in the fiction world :)
I think that's rather the point if we can work out how to do the release mechanism! ;)
Shrad
Wed Jan 21 2015, 07:07PM
lower current times the number of passes required to achieve the wanted speed... as soon as friction damage from much more passes does not exceed one high power shot damage yes, but I don't think that would be the case
BigBad
Wed Jan 21 2015, 11:01PM
It's just a slip ring; they can have pretty decent life.
Shrad
Thu Jan 22 2015, 08:55AM
I think that due to current flow, movement and conduction losses at the interface would induce more stress and ablation with multiple passes at a low voltage/power than one pass at high voltage/power

You can always use a kind of conductive lubricant like graphite, on rails in a material which produces a conductive oxidation layer

I could well be wrong as I have no practical experience in railguns ;)
BigBad
Thu Jan 22 2015, 05:48PM
There's going to be pro and cons but a lot of it is i^2 R heating of the slip ring, and i is low.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: