Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
gentoo_daemon (42)

Next birthdays
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
04/21 Elijah (33)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: General Science and Electronics
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Induction heated nightmare

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Davebmx
Wed Jan 14 2015, 06:20PM Print
Davebmx Registered Member #4394 Joined: Mon Feb 06 2012, 07:43PM
Hi everyone hope your all having a nice new year!

I'm hoping that someone may be able to assist me on a project im currently working on which is a mains powered induction heater.

im using a quasi resonant arangement using a single fga25n120 igbt triggered by an adjsutable square wave generator coded onto an 8 bit chip. Its basically a clone of a very cheap style of induction hob.

my oscillator is run from a seperate 15v supply and the heater will succesfully heat object in the work coil if i bypass the rectifier and use a 16v bench top power supply.

However when i switch to a 10a variac connected to the rectifier i see a huge magnetic field in the coil which just moves the work piece but doesnt heat it and i see whopping current drain even at low voltages.

Now i'm pretty sure its something small i am overlooking as its a simple circuit! please note im running all my mains tests through an isolation transformer so i can scope it.

Ive included a quick sketch of my circuit and also a photo of the quick testing pcb i made up please dont bash the design i made it in 20 mins :]

please note the igbt has been desoldered to test if its died or not but is right over where it solders on to the board

i'd be very grateful for any help as its not something im too familiar with and its quite frustrating not not knowing why i cant get it to work

regards

also i just noticed my 5uf cap is wrong on the diagram, it goes from the negative location to after the choke on the positive rail not before! ooops

Dave

Wed Jan 14 2015, 06:45PM
... Registered Member #56 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:02AM
As drawn your bridge rectifier will not work, which would explain your issues. Be safe.
Davebmx
Wed Jan 14 2015, 07:09PM
Thanks for the reply! i just scribbled the rectifier but it is correct on the pcb!

regards
Dave
Kolas
Wed Jan 14 2015, 09:38PM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
well, either your IGBT/mosfet is a short, or your rectifier is backwards (which might have produced a dead switch also)
there's many ways to test the switch, and its fairly easy to check your rectifier.
Davebmx
Thu Jan 15 2015, 10:06AM
Thanks Kolas, the rectifier works as it should i have just drawn it wrong. i have also tested it with a different rectifier and a bunch of caps in parallel equaling about 20 000 uf as i had thought it might be ripple that was killing the igbt even though this circuit should be able to handle unsmoothed rectified dc. i wonder now if im getting some sort of ringing that is causing the igbt to switch out of zvs. i have noticed a change in the square wave output of the oscillator when the circuit is connected to a power supply that looks very saw tooth with distinct Sinusoidal properties! i will try get some snaps of the scope tonight

regards
Dave
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Jan 15 2015, 02:31PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Hello,
the 100uH inductor is placed wrong, I think it's usually used only as a noise suppresion inductor before the 5uF cap. The work coil would then go from the positive end of the 5uF filter cap to the IGBT collector, and the 0.27uF cap would go in parallel to the igbt (between the collector and emitter).
Davebmx
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:10PM
Hi Dr Dark Current and thanks for your reply!

Ive done a quick redraw following what you have said. Would this alter the circuit from a parallel resonant circuit to a series resonant?

anyway heres the drawing is this what you meant?

regards Dave
Davebmx
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:37PM

sorry did you mean like this?

regards

Dave
Kolas
Thu Jan 15 2015, 08:15PM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
I'm pretty sure that this circuit was closer to correct before, having the little cap be PFC for the work coil making a parallel resonant circuit. But something to realize here is that in order to achieve ZCS you need to be switching based on the tank's current via feed back. A simple 555 circuit is unlikely to be "tuned" correctly. Any work pieces inside the coil will cause the effective inductance of your work coil will change, and therefore the resonant frequency has changed.
I also believe that the 100uh inductor is meant to add impedance to the tank and acts as a fail safe (it needs to be a matched inductor to your PFC)
i recommend you read this page.
Link2
Davebmx
Fri Jan 16 2015, 10:15AM
Hi Kolas!

been through Mr Burnetts page many times haha! he does say that aslong as the frequency is on the high side of resonance it should only cause loss of power or for the whole thing to drop out of resonance but i am having catastrophic failure of the igbt? the heater will also be used to heat the same load everytime so once i find the resonance i can just leave it calibrated. under 16v dc from my bench supply the heater draws 4 amps and gently heats the load in the coil. when i hook it up to a 10a variac running through a rectifier and 20 000uf of smoothing at about 15 volts it appears to be trying to draw 40amps! im assuming for some reason or another the igbt is latching open causing the work coil to act as a huge heating element, resulting in the huge current drain.

regards

Dave
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: