All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla coil secondary winding jig

Move Thread LAN_403
Kolas
Mon Jan 12 2015, 04:09PM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
I wanted to take a moment to share an idea that recently occurred to me and yielded great success.
If you're like me, finding a way to center and support the former is something of a challenge.
I wanted to find a simple and cheap way to support a 6" pvp pipe former. So after quite a bit of noodling it happened. How many of you have held a CF bulb over your head with a TC running? Well I had one of those "ding" moments.
Tires!
I found some tires that where about 1/4 too large when inflated. So I let the air out and forced one in on each side of the pipe and there it was, bearings and all. The outcome was a very well centered, strong, and smoothly turning jig!
A 1/2" x 6" long threaded rod is the axle. The belt goes directly around the pipe to allow "OMG" moment slippage.
I'm not sure if this has been done before but I would suggest it to anyone with a former 6" or larger.
While I would like to have built a guide for automated winding, my finger nails worked too. I eventually got confident enough to let the RPM's get over 100 and it got done fast. I think the best part is, I get to return all of these materials when I'm done.

If there was one thing I would change. It would be finding a way to have it not act so much like a van de graaff generator as I was constantly wiping dust and such off the former. (it was quite attracted to the pipe)

Any thoughts? Comments? Did one of you find an even simpler way?
If you like, use this idea and I hope it helps anyone struggling to do it another way.
1421078830 102 FT0 Img 20150111 165708 495
Graham Armitage
Mon Jan 12 2015, 08:31PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Good suggestion - neat idea. What are those inflatable wheels from? I wonder if there are 4"inflatable wheels available.

I also had a thought about a using rubber cones inserted in each end - will center properly, can be used to drive the pipe rotation, and can accommodate different sized pipes. One cone could be driven and fixed to the bed, the other free-wheeling and on a slide for different length pipes.

I have wondered about having a grounded plate touching the pipe while spinning to reduce static. It is a hassle to keep cleaning it off.
Mads Barnkob
Tue Jan 13 2015, 08:20AM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
You did also almost build a Van de Graff generator with a rubber belt on another plastic material with different electric properties.

I used a different approach, that is uni sizable to any pipe diameter, as the tubing is resting on top of two wheels in each end. I did also wind it at around 100 RPM and I would never waste my time to build a automatic guided winder, just holding the wire against the previous winding with a slight angle ensures a perfect alignment.

My rig: Link2
GrantX
Tue Jan 13 2015, 01:16PM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Graham Armitage wrote ...

Good suggestion - neat idea. What are those inflatable wheels from? I wonder if there are 4"inflatable wheels available.

I also had a thought about a using rubber cones inserted in each end - will center properly, can be used to drive the pipe rotation, and can accommodate different sized pipes. One cone could be driven and fixed to the bed, the other free-wheeling and on a slide for different length pipes.

I have wondered about having a grounded plate touching the pipe while spinning to reduce static. It is a hassle to keep cleaning it off.

Here in Aussie-land there a lots of different sized small inflatable tires sold at hardware stores like Bunnings (I guess Harbor Freight and Home Depot are American equivalents). They're usually sold as lawnmower tires, or for mobile work tables and 'training wheels' for children's bicycles. Similar stuff like that. I'm certain you could find tires for any diameter secondary if you do some searching.

As for rubber cones, replacement ends for toilet plungers come to mind. There's probably a few other alternatives to be found, if you wander around a big hardware store for long enough.

As seen in another recent thread about static grounding issues, some metallic Christmas tinsel/garland and a earth connection could be beneficial.

This thread has inspired me think about turning my old discount 400W wood/plastic lathe into a small coil-winder. It can accept work pieces up to 1 meter long by 300mm diameter, but I'm unsure whether the cheap 400W motor will be enough.
Kolas
Tue Jan 13 2015, 02:03PM
Kolas Registered Member #102 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:15PM
Hehe I'm glad you guys are running with this smile
I got my tires from Northern Tool and equipment. they are just mutli purpose utility tires. these were they smallest inflatable tires for about $11 USD. As far as the motor I used... It draws .75A at 120VDC 17in/lb and I only half wave rectified, so it only draws around 50 watts or so. I found that smooth high torque, low rpm was the way to go.
I have also done the two wheel support trick too (with k'nex, almost as good as duct tape) and I had moderate success, however when I would start to pull on it to get the wire tight, the former would attempt to jump off the jig.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: