All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ÊŽ/2 DRSSTC

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
omegalabs
Mon Dec 15 2014, 03:30PM Print
omegalabs Registered Member #1521 Joined: Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:46AM
Hello!

I’m currently working on a big DRSSTC, it’s for a customer and not for myself. They want a dual coil, because they want the sparks to reach each other while they are standing on the top. They will use it mostly indoors, so I thought I should build a coil without RF ground, needing only the mains connection „plug and play”. There was 2 option, a bipolar coil or a ʎ/2 magnifier (or a 3rd, a dual coil with separated primaries and secondaries grounded to each other, but I’m not sure if that would work without RF ground).
Sparklengh needed is a minimum of 3 meters between coils. With the IGBTs I already have, it’s not a problem. I don’t want to push the coil to the maximum efficiency, instead for maximum reliability. So every parameter should below the maximum ratings of the individual parts.

A few parameters and parts:

Power: 8kW 3 Phase
Primary topology: H bridge
IGBT: Mitsubishi CM600-HA-24H
Primary capacitor: 625nF 16kVDC (80x Aerovox 2uF 1kVDC snubber caps)
Primary impedance: 6,7 ohms
Controller: Flexibrute 1.0 Universal DRSSTC Controller from Eastern Voltage Research
Modulator: Advanced modulator with fiber optic cable
Energy storage capacitors: 2x 3300uF 350VDC Powerlytics 36DX + 48uF PP film capacitor
Bus voltage: 550VDC
Primary frequency: 38kHz
Extra resonator coils: 250mm PVC tube with 0,5mm copper wire 2540 turns.

I built many spark gap coils, a few SSTCs, and no DRSSTCs. So if you have any suggestions please don’t hesitate to share it with me smile .
Pictures and additional informations will be added soon.
Sulaiman
Mon Dec 15 2014, 04:43PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
out of my league but
if you have a 1/2 wavelength system with no centre earth,
if one topload arcs to anywhere other than the other topload (e.g. 'earth')
then the centre will be at eht.
I'd expect flashovers to the primary etc.
teravolt
Mon Dec 15 2014, 05:15PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
others are more expierinced than I but can it be treated like a half wave cener tap so there is one drver unit and two teslas with the same resonant frequency that are grounded
Dr. Dark Current
Mon Dec 15 2014, 06:53PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
To me it looks like you don't have enough capacitance on the DC bus, you'll surely be exceeding the max rms currents of the lytics. If you're going for reliability, use at least 4 of the caps.

And Sulaiman is correct about the flashovers.
omegalabs
Mon Dec 15 2014, 10:30PM
I'm aware of the flashovers. I'm going to use a lower coupling than other magnifier systems, + a few PE or PP sheets between coils, and a safety spark gap between the feedlines. I worry about the stray capacitances too.
Or it may be enough,if the center is grounded to a metal sheet on the floor. I made a small spark gap model of this topology, I can test a few things on it this week I hope.

If you're going for reliability, use at least 4 of the caps.
Then I'll order 4 of them. These are the only parts missing right now.
Goodchild
Wed Dec 17 2014, 04:35PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
omegalabs wrote ...

I'm aware of the flashovers. I'm going to use a lower coupling than other magnifier systems, + a few PE or PP sheets between coils, and a safety spark gap between the feedlines. I worry about the stray capacitances too.
Or it may be enough,if the center is grounded to a metal sheet on the floor. I made a small spark gap model of this topology, I can test a few things on it this week I hope.

If you're going for reliability, use at least 4 of the caps.
Then I'll order 4 of them. These are the only parts missing right now.

I wouldn't use those caps for bus capacitors at all. Any datasheet that doesn't spec their rated RMS current or ESR means that they are not intended to be used in a high current application. Those caps are most likely marketed at things like audio amplifiers and other application that have low RMS bus current. A another great indicator is the terminal size on the cap. Those capacitors will likely cook when presented with the kinds of currents you want to run.

I would recommend buying capacitor that are intended for inverter applications. Be prepared to pay at least double unless you buy from the surplus market.

omegalabs
Thu Dec 18 2014, 05:13PM
Goodchild wrote ...

I wouldn't use those caps for bus capacitors at all. Any datasheet that doesn't spec their rated RMS current or ESR means that they are not intended to be used in a high current application. Those caps are most likely marketed at things like audio amplifiers and other application that have low RMS bus current. A another great indicator is the terminal size on the cap. Those capacitors will likely cook when presented with the kinds of currents you want to run.

I would recommend buying capacitor that are intended for inverter applications. Be prepared to pay at least double unless you buy from the surplus market.

Their datasheet doesn't give any more information than "high ripple current". So that means it's way less than 20A I probably need?
I bought 4 used ones for 100$, so I'll buy new caps for the final version anyway, but I hope these will hold for at least some low power testings.
Can you give me an exact type I should use?
Right now I can't afford expensive capacitors.
loneoceans
Thu Dec 18 2014, 06:35PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
omegalabs wrote ...

Goodchild wrote ...

Their datasheet doesn't give any more information than "high ripple current". So that means it's way less than 20A I probably need?
I bought 4 used ones for 100$, so I'll buy new caps for the final version anyway, but I hope these will hold for at least some low power testings.
Can you give me an exact type I should use?
Right now I can't afford expensive capacitors.

I agree with Goodchild, especially if you're building a coil for a customer. The caps you are using will probably work fine for a while, but I wouldn't place my bets on it for any sort of long-term reliability or even any sort of high duty cycle runs.

A quick search on ebay turned up a few good capacitors for reasonable prices. I know many folks have had great success with Rifa capacitors which are affordable if you are on a budget:
Link2

These are 3400uF 420VDC rated. Look at the size of their terminals compared to the ones you are currently using. These should work great as your bus capacitors. Two caps seem a bit on the low side though for a 8kW coil, I'd use no less than 4 of them. Suppose your coil is drawing 8kW at about 300bps, that's 27J per bang. I usually size my bus caps no smaller than 20x bang energy. At 550V on the bus, that's at least 3500uF required.

Finally for your MMC, I'm not sure how much primary current you are planning to run the coil at, but I wouldn't go more than about 1.2kA (given your primary impedance of 6.8R) to keep within the AC ratings of the capacitor. Again for long term reliability, I'd go for even more capacitors for a higher voltage rating. But otherwise it should work fine.
omegalabs
Fri Dec 19 2014, 02:27PM
loneoceans wrote ...

I agree with Goodchild, especially if you're building a coil for a customer. The caps you are using will probably work fine for a while, but I wouldn't place my bets on it for any sort of long-term reliability or even any sort of high duty cycle runs.

A quick search on ebay turned up a few good capacitors for reasonable prices. I know many folks have had great success with Rifa capacitors which are affordable if you are on a budget:
Link2

These are 3400uF 420VDC rated. Look at the size of their terminals compared to the ones you are currently using. These should work great as your bus capacitors. Two caps seem a bit on the low side though for a 8kW coil, I'd use no less than 4 of them. Suppose your coil is drawing 8kW at about 300bps, that's 27J per bang. I usually size my bus caps no smaller than 20x bang energy. At 550V on the bus, that's at least 3500uF required.

Finally for your MMC, I'm not sure how much primary current you are planning to run the coil at, but I wouldn't go more than about 1.2kA (given your primary impedance of 6.8R) to keep within the AC ratings of the capacitor. Again for long term reliability, I'd go for even more capacitors for a higher voltage rating. But otherwise it should work fine.

I searched a few containers in the university and found 2 RIFA PEH169 3300uF 350V capacitors which I can use, so I feel lucky today.
Yes the limit will be 1,2kA.
I have a total of 100 snubbers, so a I can go probably a little higher in voltage. Like 17 caps in series for and 6 strings for a total of 705nF @ 17kV. But these are used caps withouth guarantee, so I assume a few will fail on the test I'm going to make with them before use.

Today I tested the dual conception with a small spark gap driver around 350W (NST 7kV) and it worked. Unfortunately I made no video, but I'll make one next month, as the university will be closed from next week.
I made the driver transformer with helical primary and used a PA sheet between the coils. The primary wasn't tuned perfectly as I was needed to test the coil fast, but it made 35cm sparks without a problem. Small surface sparks appeared near the primary coil, but it was expected as the whole surface of the PA sheet was very smooth. The coupling was very high, probably near 0,5.
omegalabs
Fri Dec 19 2014, 05:36PM
A few pictures. You can see some snubber caps are broken. Not sure if the the customs did that or it was like that before the shipping. But the seller was nice he sent a total of 110 caps instead of 100.
1419010561 1521 FT167837 Stuff

1419010561 1521 FT167837 Gyantk

1419010561 1521 FT167837 Snub1

1419010561 1521 FT167837 Snub Trtt
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: