All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

IGBT protection

Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Fri Oct 10 2014, 05:39PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Finalizing my H-bridge design and wondered about current thinking regarding IGBT protection. I am running the CM300DY-24H brick, driven by GDT. First question on Gate-Emitter TVS diode? Would you recommend a breakdown voltage to match the max Vge (20v per data sheet) and the drive at 15v (again per spec)? Was thinking of the 1.5KE20CA.

Then what about C-E diodes? I have a 2uF, 1kv snubber connected, and I see others who use TVS (eg 1.5KE220) and some who do not. What is the suggestion for this?

This is what I have so far:

Design
Kizmo
Fri Oct 10 2014, 06:14PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
TVS diodes over C-E are pretty much useless with large igbt modules, the igbt module itself (actually co-pack diode) will act as zener diode and can dissapate muuuuch more power than dinky TVS diodes can ever :)

2µF film cap over power rails is ok as long as its mounted physically as close as possible to the igbt. Gate protection TVS diode voltage depends on your gate drive voltage. I have been using 30V bipolar diodes with 24V drive, seem to do the trick, no mysterious gate deaths.
Graham Armitage
Fri Oct 10 2014, 07:35PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Thanks - that is what I suspected. The snubber cap is the type that mounts directly to the brick, so I think I am good there.

The data sheet for the CM300Dy-24H says max Vge is 20v, so I would assume I should stay below that. Are you driving the CM300 on 24v? I have not used this particular brick before and don't want to destroy it !
Kizmo
Fri Oct 10 2014, 08:02PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Its quite common to overdrive igbt gates in drsstc application. CM300s and CM600s are very commonly driven with 24V and even all the way up to 30V. I have always used 24V drive for larger 1200V bricks and had no issues at all.

EDIT:

As far as i have understood (correct me if im wrong here), the reason behind gate overvolting is to make sure that the igbt stays saturated even when we use them at several times their rated current. Its kind of like poor mans desaturation protection. Not industry standard method but good enough for tesla coils. In theory overvolting WILL reduce the life of the transistor but it has proven to be ok in tesla coil circuits. You are not going to need 1000s of hours of run time :)

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: