Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

lithium ion tesla coil?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Chris Cristini
Sun Oct 05 2014, 05:56PM Print
Chris Cristini Registered Member #1749 Joined: Fri Oct 10 2008, 02:04AM
I am working on a small 48V sstc I was just wondering does anyone think a lithium type battery would handle the current draw?
TwirlyWhirly555
Sun Oct 05 2014, 07:15PM
TwirlyWhirly555 Registered Member #4104 Joined: Fri Sept 23 2011, 06:54PM
If its a high rated C lithium ion polymer , then It should be fine .

What is the current draw ? are you running CW or interrupted ?
Chris Cristini
Sun Oct 05 2014, 07:25PM
I want to make an interupter for this project and try to put all electronics in its case with batteries and all it is a project I just started after my first post other coils I have started I was never able to finish this one will be the first I am even going to try to put the charger in the case so I can use a normal PSU cord to charge the unit but starting to realize 48 volts worth of batteries will not fit.
]img_20141005_151233.jpg[/file]
]img_20141005_151223.jpg[/file]
Jazzman56
Mon Oct 06 2014, 09:37AM
Jazzman56 Registered Member #7222 Joined: Sat Oct 13 2012, 06:04AM
Hi Chris,

48 volts worth of Li-Po cells is achievable (although cell balancing may be an issue), inherently you will have a very small capacity to fit within the constraints of your case. Why not try for a 4 cell pack/brick Link2 and build an inverter ?

Then again an inverter will take up room. You could also just use a Li-po charger from hobby king to charge the Lipo to reduce the amount of electronics :D Link2

Regards,
Jazzman56
Chris Cristini
Mon Oct 06 2014, 12:51PM
I like the idea of a boost converter/inverter but worried about further losses here is some pictures of the secondary
]img_20141005_210259.jpg[/file]
]img_20141005_225603.jpg[/file]
Sigurthr
Mon Oct 06 2014, 02:28PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I think Staci Elaan (spelling?) has a lot of experience with lipo powered SSTCs. You can find her videos on YouTube. Afaik she uses buck/boost converters to step up 3S (12.6v) lipos to a more appropriate primary voltage and runs the coils in low rep rate single pulse fashion to achieve high break out performance while keeping averaged current demands moderate for the batteries.

Eg; boost to ~85V and store energy in bus capacitance and then dump in a single bang. Rep rate limited to 5x time constant formed by boost converter impedance and bus capacitance.

I've wanted to do similar for a long time but I have no experience with DIY DC-DC converters.
Steve Conner
Mon Oct 06 2014, 03:05PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Steve Ward's Tesla gun also uses the LiPo batteries sold for RC model applications. I think he uses about 48V worth and steps it up to 300V with a DC-DC converter. Energy for the burst is stored in a bank of electrolytic caps at this voltage.
loneoceans
Mon Oct 06 2014, 04:19PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

Steve Ward's Tesla gun also uses the LiPo batteries sold for RC model applications. I think he uses about 48V worth and steps it up to 300V with a DC-DC converter. Energy for the burst is stored in a bank of electrolytic caps at this voltage.

I think in Steve's 2nd tesla gun and Phillip's tesla gun, they both use something like 10 or so 6S 2.2AH 25-50C (to clarify, I meant 6S not 6C!) Lipos in series for something like around 200+V directly to the inverter and skipping the need for a boost converter. However I think the limitation right now is the small-size enclosure that you have and it might be tricky to fit a suitable battery inside. The modern LiPos though can supply more than enough power for small SSTCs though.
TwirlyWhirly555
Mon Oct 06 2014, 07:22PM
TwirlyWhirly555 Registered Member #4104 Joined: Fri Sept 23 2011, 06:54PM
loneoceans wrote ...

Steve Conner wrote ...

I think in Steve's 2nd tesla gun and Phillip's tesla gun, they both use something like 10 or so 6C Lipos in series for something like around 200+V directly to the inverter and skipping the need for a boost converter. However I think the limitation right now is the small-size enclosure that you have and it might be tricky to fit a suitable battery inside. The modern LiPos though can supply more than enough power for small SSTCs though.

At a normal voltage of 3.7V per Cell you would need 54 cells to get 200V , so 9 lots of 6S , even the really small cells would give some output but runs times suffer .
Chris Cristini
Mon Oct 06 2014, 08:08PM
Staci elaan's work is pretty cool. Looks like a lower voltage large capacity lipo will be the way to go and prototype a boost converter in to the drive circuit but I'm hoping to get better results with audio modulation with of course lower output power. I am guessing max output would be a slow pulse. I really wish this was possible Link2 .
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: