Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
03/31 Swedish Coiler (41)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

DRSSTC - strange phase inversion on bridge o/p

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
chris_inkubate
Sat Sept 27 2014, 05:47PM Print
chris_inkubate Registered Member #46007 Joined: Wed Apr 30 2014, 08:02PM
Hi all,
I've been doing some testing of my bridge output with a 48V bus supply and now using brick IGBT's with UD2.5. However i'm getting a strange effect - my bridge output is inverting its phase just over half way through the on cycle. At the same point my current waveform starts to ring down. I suspect that the inversion of the waveform is then pulling the output down or is this an effect of some kind of ring down on the feedback phase? I have tried with and without the phase lead inductor in the circuit and get the same issue. Also it seems my bridge has a DC level. This may be my scope though as its a PC scope on a laptop so I'm measuring the bridge o/p with one channel.

Any thoughts would be most appreciated as I'm stumped and don't want to turn up my bus voltage not knowing! Many Thanks.

Invert

B

Invert
Mads Barnkob
Sat Sept 27 2014, 07:15PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
At the peak of the current waveform is where the switches stop conducting and the ring down of the current is the energy returning to your DC bus capacitors through the diodes in the switches as is can be seen in the inverter waveform.

The elevated DC level on your inverter output could be residual charge in your MMC and it is possible that it will make your inverter run unstable. A resistor across the output of the inverter can help burn this residual charge between the bursts. Look at this thread: Link2 and read this paper on the issue by Steve Ward: Link2

You really should get a decent oscilloscope, the Rigol DSO series are really good equipment to the money or you can try to look for a cheaper old analogue oscilloscope. The PC oscilloscope is simply too slow and take too few samples to show all the transients and glitches that you really would like to see, so you can do something about it and see that they are gone.

Your waveforms are simply too good looking to be true ;)
chris_inkubate
Sat Sept 27 2014, 07:42PM
I see so that is the point where the interrupter shuts off and of course the return is in the opposite direction and hence phase. Thats makes sense thanks. I'll look at those articles too as it seems with DRSST'ing that something new is seen every time I do some testing but its all interesting stuff.

I'll probably get an older scope as that'll be easier on my finances. I have access to a Tektronix TDS210 at work but its quite an old digital scope so not sure how well it'll do. I did start to think I was missing something as there was no change in the waveform with the inductor adjustment in way of ringing - just movement of the waveform phase.
chris_inkubate
Sat Oct 11 2014, 07:54PM
I have now got access to a faster and higher sampling rate oscilloscope and have now managed to see the masses of ringing present with no phase lead particularly. I've tweaked my phase lead now and have managed to eliminate the large fast spikes at the starts of the square waves, but as the cycle progresses there is another anomaly forming as the wave shape gets very messy and jagged along the peaks. Its not peaking any higher than the bridge voltage so not worried as such but curious as to if its an indicator of something else. Below waveforms are with phase lead set for minimum spikes (I will be trying a slightly lower value inductor as the centre ferrite screw is almost full out to get this!). Many Thanks, Chris

1413057164 46007 FT166165 Pic 9 1

1413057164 46007 FT166165 Pic 9 2
loneoceans
Sun Oct 12 2014, 12:28AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
That's normal behavior :) Scroll to somewhere near the middle here: Link2 which explains the shape as well as a guide to choosing the right parameters.
chris_inkubate
Sun Oct 12 2014, 10:33AM
Thanks for that so this is the sag you mention as a result of primary current & ohms law.

I can see that on your scope shots although mine is little more jagged. I think I'll be happy as long as I can avoid any destructive peaks! I'll be trying to scope my bus and gate together today as that didn't work for some reason yesterday (although it was late so could have messed up) and see how that coincides with Loneoceans advice.
Goodchild
Tue Oct 14 2014, 02:50PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Chris the phase inversion you are seeing is the point at which you are turning your interrupter off. What's happening is that when the interrupter goes low this turns off all the IGBTs on the next zero current crossing, however there is still a massive amount of energy still in the primary LC, so what happens is the co-pack diodes in the IGBTs take over and start to rectify the remaining energy back into the bus capacitor.

Simply put the phase inversion is the point at which the IGBTs stop switching and the diodes take over.

Overall your waveform have a normal amount of ringing, nothing to worry about. The slanting of the pulses is due to the ESR of your bus capacitor. Lower ESR capacitors will present less of a slant in the pulse as you go higher in primary current.This is not necessary an issue if your bus cap isn't getting excessively hot.

Hope this helps,
Eric
chris_inkubate
Tue Oct 14 2014, 07:02PM
Thanks for the additional information. Its making more sense now. Just lots of tuning now although I think with my larger tank cap its taking more peak current to get the same length sparks as before but from what I've read this isn't unusual due to lower primary impedance. I'll have to see what happens and check my average power.
Goodchild
Wed Oct 15 2014, 01:47AM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
chris_inkubate wrote ...

Thanks for the additional information. Its making more sense now. Just lots of tuning now although I think with my larger tank cap its taking more peak current to get the same length sparks as before but from what I've read this isn't unusual due to lower primary impedance. I'll have to see what happens and check my average power.

This has been my experience as well. Typically you can get long sparks in either scenario (high or low impedance tank), however I typically favor a tank impedance > 10ohms, it makes the system more controllable and runs lower peak currents. The lower peak current can be less stressful on your MMC and bridge.

It's more controllable because you have more primary cycle to work with, giving you finer control over output power. This extra control makes for much better performance when playing MIDI, at least that's what I use it for.
Kizmo
Wed Oct 15 2014, 08:47AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Thats very true. My big coil has about 3 ohm primary impedance and while it does very good job at converting input dc power to spark length, it requires a metric crapton of primary current to do so and the amount of cycles vs spark length is very nonlinear.

It goes much like this:

2-3 cycles -> ~1kA and barely a breakout at all
4 cycles -> ~2kA and maybe meter if streamers
5-6 cycles ~3.5kA and holy crap the spark is almost 5 meters cheesey

This kind of operation turned out to be too hot for mighty CM600s (mainly due to high-ish resonant frequency of 55kHz) but im still kind of liking it so im working on a bridge that has several times the current handling capacity of CM600s :)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: