All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Toroid Types

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Wed Sept 24 2014, 08:18PM Print
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Does anyone have a formula or even anecdotal data on the capacitance of a regular spun or duct-tube toroid versus the ring toroids. How does spacing between the individual rings or number of rings affect the overall capacitance?
Steve Conner
Wed Sept 24 2014, 08:57PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
To a first approximation, the skeleton toroid has pretty much the same capacitance as an ordinary toroid of the same dimensions. I think everyone just assumes this.

Tesla believed the capacitance of a conductor was simply proportional to the surface area of metal, but the truth is somewhat more complicated.
Graham Armitage
Thu Sept 25 2014, 12:13PM
Thanks Steve, that is good to know. I may give it a try on the coil I am building now.
Mads Barnkob
Thu Sept 25 2014, 12:52PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I have tried modelling all kinds of toroid shapes in JAVATC and the math used in that calculator suggests the same as Steve says, it is very close results to the same amount of surface area, with little regard to how its formed.

Someone did post FEMM simulations of skeleton toroids a long while back, it might have been Kizmo, try to search for it :)
Graham Armitage
Thu Sept 25 2014, 05:06PM
Seems that thread may have gone missing - others looking for it too. For now I am ok with knowing it's close the JAVATC formula. I am curious which factors would have the biggest impact on the capacitance. Does number of rings or spacing have an impact? What is the smallest number of rings you can get away with without drastically affecting the capacitance? At some point I would imagine that it decreases with less rings, but by how much?

As I said, more academic curiosity at this point. Will probably try build one and see how it goes.

Thanks again
Steve Conner
Fri Sept 26 2014, 04:06PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Reducing the number of rings will affect the breakdown voltage more than the capacitance.

The argument goes something like this: Since the rings are all at the same potential, there must be points in between them at the same potential as this. The set of these points is an "equipotential surface". The shape of the surface is constrained to be smooth by Laplace's equation or some similar math babble. smile If you could see it (FEMM can help) it would look somewhat as if the structure had been shrink wrapped. Now, because all points on this surface are at the same potential as the metal rings, it follows that the surface could be replaced with a real metal surface connected to the rings, without changing the capacitance.

Reducing the number of rings reduces the breakdown voltage because the "ribs" stick out of the "shrink wrap" more.
Graham Armitage
Sat Sept 27 2014, 11:17AM
That is interesting. Excellent description ! When you put it like that it makes a lot of sense - very easy to picture. I would think that a plastic framework covered with a collection of rounded-edge discs would have the same effect too. One could start getting creative with toroid construction. Aluminum and copper tubing makes ring toroids expensive (I think I read that Eric Goodchild spent $250 per toroid on his larger coils). I have heard of plastic rings being covered in aluminum tape to reduce cost, but not quite as nice as aluminum tubing.

Time to get creative !
Mads Barnkob
Sat Sept 27 2014, 03:06PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I found 7 rings of 25mm coax cable for mobile antenna installations. Only cost me cable scrap price from a junk yard. It has a hard plastic outer shell, then a 1mm thick, 25mm diameter aluminium screen, filled with PE foam and a 8mm copper tube in the middle.

Cheap, light weight, perfect. Get creative and you can build awesome stuff for nothing :)
Uspring
Sat Sept 27 2014, 06:53PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Too thin tubing should be avoided. I once had a 24" diameter toroid made from quarter inch copper tubes. There were arcs going from the bottom of the toroid into the primary inspite of a big breakout rod on top.
Graham Armitage
Sun Sept 28 2014, 02:33AM
Uspring wrote ...

Too thin tubing should be avoided. I once had a 24" diameter toroid made from quarter inch copper tubes. There were arcs going from the bottom of the toroid into the primary inspite of a big breakout rod on top.

What was the gap between the rings? Using the shrink wrap analogy that Steve described, small diameter tubing would presumably have to be very close together to start approximating a solid toroid. I would imagine, in general the smaller the spacing the better. Could there be a minimum ratio of Diam:spacing that still achieves, say 95% capacitance of a solid toroid? Just speculating here...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: