All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

CM300DY-24H Frequency

Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Mon Sept 01 2014, 01:55AM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
I have been reading older posts on the CM300DY-24H operating frequency and opinions seems to vary on upper limits. From 70kHz to 200kHz. For this IGBT, what would be considered the max Freq (using UD2.5 driver with phase shift) at 700A peak primary current for it to run reliably with minimal heating?
Steve Conner
Mon Sept 01 2014, 07:31AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I'd say 100kHz would be a reasonable maximum but below 70 would be better. 200 is ridiculous.

If you want really high frequencies, try the 12NFH series instead of the 24H. The Semikron T4 series are also pretty fast.

zzz_julian_zzz
Tue Sept 02 2014, 12:48AM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
I've tried personally these CM300DY-24H on a 198kHz DRSSTC,- nothing happens.. I guess, the long ON-and-OFF times cannot work with the fast switching requirement of the coil. I also tried using CM200DY-12NF series on that same coil, and it works properly., no heating has been noticed since I'm using a Phase Lead driver and at very low duty cycle (Low BPS) .
Graham Armitage
Tue Sept 02 2014, 01:39AM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Thanks guys - interesting info. I was hoping to keep the freq below 100kHz. Sounds like that is probably a good idea smile
Dr. Dark Current
Sun Sept 07 2014, 10:49AM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Steve, how low do you think the switching loss in a ZCS condition can be compared to 100% hard switching? I guess it can not be zero even in perfect ZCS. Maybe a ratio of something like 1:10 or 1:5? It will be worse with increasing frequency.
Steve Conner
Mon Sept 08 2014, 09:56AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
That's quite a difficult question, which I'll answer as best I can.

First of all, there is no such thing as ZCS because the current is only zero at one point in time, but the device takes a finite amount of time to switch. If we want the switching process to complete at zero current, then we have to start it while the current is still relatively high. The higher the frequency, the higher the current we have to initiate switching.

For example, if we are running 1000A at 100kHz, the rate of change of current around the zero crossing is 1000 *2pi*100000/1e6= 628A/us.

If we say that our Powerex H series brick takes about 500ns to switch, then we will begin the switching process when the collector current is 314A.

Then, we can approximate the collector current during the switching process as a linear decay to zero. This cuts the turn-off losses by at least a factor of 2, compared to hard switching of an inductive load. In practice the factor is somewhat more than 2 because turn-off consists of a delay period followed by a fall period, and the losses occur mainly during the fall period, so they benefit from a lower current.

This then gives us the result, that for ZCS of a 1000A peak sinusoidal current at 100kHz, the turn-off loss per switching event is a bit less than one-half of the datasheet value for hard switching at 314A.

The same argument can be applied to the turn-on process with the same conclusions.

If we start the turn-off process late, then we get lower turn-off losses because the current naturally passes through zero before the switching process is complete. The problem is that the current commutates to the antiparallel diode which then undergoes forced recovery when the other bridge leg turns on. The device turning on has to handle the load current plus a large diode recovery current, so the increased turn-on losses and diode recovery losses more than cancel out the lower turn-off losses.
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Sept 09 2014, 07:51PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
Good point about the rate of change of the current. Thanks! smile

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: