Rustycan (30)
H8erade (28)
Flood_of_SYNs (41)

Next birthdays
04/17 KaV (34)
04/17 Dave_P (38)
04/18 David.Lightman (54)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Chemistry
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Last chance to buy useful chemicals in EU

Move Thread LAN_403
Sulaiman
Sat Aug 30 2014, 08:57AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Just a quick note to EU citizens that from 2nd September members of the public should not be able to buy w/w;
Hydrogen Peroxide > 12%
Nitromethane > 30%
Nitric Acid > 3%
Potassium/Sodium Chlorate/Perchlorate > 40%

and 'suspicious' purchases of many other useful chemicals will have to be reported.
(in UK call 0800 789321 = anti-terrorist hotline)
A license will supposedly be available,
but when I 'phoned the hotline yesterday they did not know how I can apply for a license.
So
if you need such chemicals you need to make an urgent order.
(I use eBay and APCpure)
By 2nd Sept. 2016 we cannot even own the listed substances without a license.

For details see Link2

I know that there are ways to synthesize or concentrate such chemicals,
I don't think that is suitable subject matter for 4HV
I just want to alert anyone who may need such chemicals
as getting a license in the immediate future seems unlikely and/or expensive.

Sorry for such short notice.
Wastrel
Sun Aug 31 2014, 05:00PM
Wastrel Registered Member #4095 Joined: Thu Sept 15 2011, 03:19PM
I've not done this yet, but you can apply for a licence here,
Link2
Sulaiman
Mon Sept 01 2014, 12:41PM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
Thanks for that
... getting documents scanned for application ...
jpsmith123
Mon Sept 01 2014, 02:19PM
jpsmith123 Registered Member #1321 Joined: Sat Feb 16 2008, 03:22AM
Wow...just wow...this draconian BS is simply "beyond the pale". Apparently the ruling "elite" are worried about "blowback" from their utterly reckless and relentless efforts to impose their Satanic "New World Order".

This maladroit legislation won't stop a determined, reasonably knowledgeable person, but what it does do however is provide another glimpse into the "working" of the "minds" of our tyrannical, psychopathic ruling elite, who hand out bombs and weapons like candy to their homicidal proxies all over the world but will brook no chance whatsoever of an armed peasantry at home.

What's next, maybe the "banning" of graphite rods, pool chlorinators, platinum, sharp objects, etc.?

Conundrum
Tue Sept 02 2014, 05:18PM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
I had enough problems over here getting hold of ammonium persulphate (aka "fine etch" crystals) because ammonium sulphate has "other" uses and it sounds very similar to "Da Feds".

Fortunately, H2O2 is actually simple enough to make by bubbling ozone through cold water and nitrated compounds although inconvenient can be made from scratch if you know how.

Many homebrew PCB etchants can be regenerated by the above method so it is useful to know.

For the curious, any historical text will explain how nitrogenated compounds were made before industrial production of ammonia.

-A
#include "waterboarding_sucks.h"
Thomas W
Tue Sept 02 2014, 06:29PM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
This is F**king disgusting, how could they do this......utterly awful.
Conundrum
Tue Sept 09 2014, 07:45AM
Conundrum Registered Member #96 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 05:37PM
Add hydrochloric acid (aka drain cleaner) to that list, apparently after next year household cleaners will have to be diluted which will make them nearly useless for unblocking toilets/etc.

The issue here is those unfortunate incidents making the news, so the UK Govt are looking into having strong acids and alkalis restricted to industrial use, requiring them to be kept in controlled areas (ie locked separate cabinets in vans) and only authorized people allowed to use them due to a few stupid people making biodiesel and causing fires etc.

Another potential disaster is the banning of some some solvents which has already happened over here; you now can't get brake cleaner (aka petroleum distillates) without a lot of hassle and ID etc.
Has to do with people putting it in fuel tanks from what I understand, because it isn't dyed so will pass the "dipstick test"

Also add to this fuel cans, seems that garages are now being asked to keep a note of people buying fuel on a regular basis and soon may refuse to serve them unless they can prove it is for a petrol mower or boat etc.
As it is the can has to be an approved type and some garages won't even let you use it if it has obvious rust marks or denting.

See these links..
Link2
Link2
Link2
Link2,-diesel-in-cans,-bottles
Link2
Link2

note to self: barium carbonate restrictions.
Yet you can go out and buy the exact same chemical as a colorant for pottery with no restrictions, go figure...

I had this issue with the Post Office recently, as was looking into selling barium titanate (a ceramic material) and Y123 as there was a lack of sellers online.
Nope, can't send any quantity of barium anything, even though I explained that every ceramic capacitor in a phone has BaTiO3 in half gram quantities if you weighed all the capacitors.

(memo to self: use alternate supplier such as DPD or simply send it in an inhaler casing marked "Medicinal Products"...)

-A
omegalabs
Sat Sept 13 2014, 02:21PM
omegalabs Registered Member #1521 Joined: Thu Jun 05 2008, 10:46AM
A few year ago I told a friend, that in the future you won't be able to buy anything in the EU (chemicals) only distillated water, and salt, as a joke, but looks like it will be the reality soon.
Especially, when I asked a seller in a shop for simple potassium permanganate, and he wanted me to show my license.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: