All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

OLTC Research and Experimentation

Move Thread LAN_403
DerStrom8
Tue Aug 05 2014, 05:49PM
DerStrom8 Registered Member #3704 Joined: Sun Feb 20 2011, 01:13PM
Hi guys,

I recently picked up some IGBT bricks at an electronics flea market and began thinking about OLTCs. I don't plan on building one any time soon, but I was curious where I might find some research for them. I realize they are probably outdated by now, considering the recent introduction of DRSSTCs, but I would be curious to read some documentation, if it exists. I know the basic theory of their operation and the overall diagram, but if anyone would like to share their own experiences and coils, I would appreciate it!

Regards,
Matt

GrantX
Wed Aug 06 2014, 02:06AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
There's a great deal of information on OLTC's spread across Steve Conner's site: http://scopeboy.com/tesla/

It's all mainly theory of operation, diagrams and photos of the physical circuits, but it seems to be enough to try building a small OLTC by yourself.

If you're interested in older exotic SSTC topologies you should have a look at SISG coils - They use SIDAC's and IGBT's to switch a very high input voltage (more than 10kV if you desire), so they operate in a similar fashion to a traditional spark gap coil. I've heard that the SISG modules are more efficient than a spark gap, so theoretically they can easily match the performance of a same-sized SGTC ("citation needed...").
DerStrom8
Wed Aug 06 2014, 02:11AM
GrantX wrote ...

There's a great deal of information on OLTC's spread across Steve Conner's site: http://scopeboy.com/tesla/

It's all mainly theory of operation, diagrams and photos of the physical circuits, but it seems to be enough to try building a small OLTC by yourself.

If you're interested in older exotic SSTC topologies you should have a look at SISG coils - They use SIDAC's and IGBT's to switch a very high input voltage (more than 10kV if you desire), so they operate in a similar fashion to a traditional spark gap coil. I've heard that the SISG modules are more efficient than a spark gap, so theoretically they can easily match the performance of a same-sized SGTC ("citation needed...").

Thanks very much, that definitely sounds like some interesting reading! I saw a reference recently to a SISG but didn't know what it was.

Cheers,
Matt
Hydron
Wed Aug 06 2014, 05:39AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
You may also find some of the stuff Finn Hammer did to be of interest - google "Hammertone V-Twin" and search "BRISG" on 4hv for a start. Hit the video search option on google for a couple more videos of the coil, including the Palais de Tokyo installation.
GrantX
Wed Aug 06 2014, 10:42AM
GrantX Registered Member #4074 Joined: Mon Aug 29 2011, 06:58AM
Hydron wrote ...

You may also find some of the stuff Finn Hammer did to be of interest - google "Hammertone V-Twin" and search "BRISG" on 4hv for a start. Hit the video search option on google for a couple more videos of the coil, including the Palais de Tokyo installation.

I forgot to mention that! That Hammertone SISG coil is a work of art (and it has quite a cool sound).

DerStrom8: IIRC the BRISG coils had an IGBT brick in the SISG modules and used microwave oven transformers for power, might be a nice fate for your shiny new bricks :)

I read some references to the "Piranha" I and II SISG coils on the TCML which sounded like interesting beasts. Is there any information available somewhere? People were saying that the primary circuit was rather dangerous and naturally I really want to see some circuit specs and photos. :)

(If you can't already tell I've been interested in SISG coils for a while - I WILL build one, someday)
DerStrom8
Wed Aug 06 2014, 01:32PM
Great leads guys, thanks a lot!

Unfortunately my bricks aren't exactly "shiny new". Also, after looking at the datasheet I'm not sure they'd be suitable for Tesla Coil operation, as the current rating is very low and the switching times are very high: Link2

It did get me thinking about OLTCs though, whether I use it in one or not is a completely different matter.

Thanks again!
Matt

1407331979 3704 FT165228 1528598 829027357109164 1040129784330857895 N

EDIT:
Okay, now I've got what may be a stupid question, but has anyone ever used TRIACs to drive a small (low-voltage) tesla coil, or is it even possible?
Dr. Dark Current
Wed Aug 06 2014, 06:47PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
OLTCs have a problem of difficult tuning, usually you use 1 turn on the primary and tune by the capacitance.

The peak currents in normal-sized OLTCs are several thousand Amps.

The SCR is too slow for TC work, it just dissipates the energy in the tank cap and doesn't ring much oscillation.
DerStrom8
Wed Aug 06 2014, 06:49PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

OLTCs have a problem of difficult tuning, usually you use 1 turn on the primary and tune by the capacitance.

The peak currents in normal-sized OLTCs are several thousand Amps.

The SCR is too slow for TC work, it just dissipates the energy in the tank cap and doesn't ring much oscillation.

I had a feeling that was the case. Thanks a lot!

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: