All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Basic SGTC questions

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Thu Jul 31 2014, 04:45PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Ok, I've been doing a bit of reading up on TC's in general, and SGTC's in particular, and my first question is which of these basic primary tank circuits is better and why?

1406825123 3414 FT0 Sgtc1

1406825123 3414 FT0 Sgtc2

Most people, I think, say the second has advantages, although on Ritchie's site he tends to depict the first, which is also the layout I used when I built an HF TIG welder some years ago.

I'm after in-depth answers, please.

Also, are there any differences when driven from AC or DC supplies, or when using static or rotary gaps, etc?

(I've left out details of power supplies/diodes/chokes/resistors, etc. for now, although would either of the circuits above have advantages/disadvantages as far as the various alternatives regarding supply circuitry is concerned?)
Dr. Dark Current
Thu Jul 31 2014, 06:13PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
The first one stresses the transformer with RF AC voltage much more.
Ash Small
Thu Jul 31 2014, 06:44PM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

Ok, thanks. Presumably a choke, or even a resistor, in the supply line would eradicate, or certainly reduce, this?

Presumably the second one also stresses the supply with RF AC, but to a lesser extent?
dexter
Thu Jul 31 2014, 07:06PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Also, are there any differences when driven from AC or DC supplies, or when using static or rotary gaps, etc?

from what i read and from my attempts to build a SGTC: DC has the advantage of allowing voltage doublers but it will not work with a static gap or you can use a static gap and blow alot air through it (unreliable) or better use a rotary gap. Another advantage of rotary gap in DC operation is that it doesn't need any synchronization (DC motors can be used) and you can adjust the speed of the motor aka the BPS to whatever value you want
Graham Armitage
Thu Jul 31 2014, 09:09PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Dr. Dark Current wrote ...

Agreed. I have fried several NSTs with this configuration too. Would use option 2 as a preference. Even still I prefer to have some RF chokes and safety gap across the transformer.
Steve Conner
Thu Jul 31 2014, 09:16PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The first topology sends sustained RF oscillations from the tank circuit back into the power supply. The second one sends a single abrupt voltage step as the gap fires and the voltage across it falls to zero.

You could argue for a while over which of these is more likely to damage the power supply. I think in practice the RF oscillations work out worse. In particular, the oscillations will quickly destroy a DC supply by reverse biasing the diodes and sending part of the tank current through them.

A good filter like the "Terry Filter" would probably protect the power supply in either case, but I think the RF oscillations would waste more energy in the filter than the spark gap firing transient.
Ash Small
Fri Aug 01 2014, 10:11AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

The first topology sends sustained RF oscillations from the tank circuit back into the power supply. The second one sends a single abrupt voltage step as the gap fires and the voltage across it falls to zero.

You could argue for a while over which of these is more likely to damage the power supply. I think in practice the RF oscillations work out worse. In particular, the oscillations will quickly destroy a DC supply by reverse biasing the diodes and sending part of the tank current through them.

A good filter like the "Terry Filter" would probably protect the power supply in either case, but I think the RF oscillations would waste more energy in the filter than the spark gap firing transient.

Thanks for the detailed reply, Steve.

Of the various power supply circuits I've read about, DC resonant charging seems the most appealing (link to Ritchie's page on DC resonant charging here:
Link2 ).

I assume the inductor in the DC resonant charging circuit will choke the RF (and spark gap spike, for that matter) and give adequate protection for diodes, etc?

(In my HF TIG welder I just used a high(ish) value resistor to reduce any RF that tried to get back to the DC LOPT (flyback) that powered the primary circuit)

I'm currently considering using an MOT with doubler lifted straight from a microwave oven, charging a series string of electrolytics, as the supply for the DC resonant charging circuit, maybe even with more multiplier stages, if practicable, as this seems a cheap, efficient and simple solution (I have several old MOT's, etc. in the shed).

Does this sound like a practical and viable solution?
Steve Conner
Fri Aug 01 2014, 10:33AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
DC resonant charging worked for me! smile Link2
Ash Small
Fri Aug 01 2014, 08:17PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

DC resonant charging worked for me! smile Link2

That's pretty much what I had in mind, Steve.

I assume the reason you used four chokes was to reduce the voltage across each one to ~2.5kV, but is an inductance of that order really necessary?

(By the way, Maplin no longer list that part number, but I'm considering winding some myself, maybe with a lower Ohmic resistance. I'll do a bit more research first, though. I've wound a number of inductors over the past year or so although I've been a bit too preoccupied to do much for the past few months)
Hydron
Sat Aug 02 2014, 12:12AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
If you need more voltage, you can put two MOTs in series without any extra insulation stress, just connect both transfomer cores to ground, and with the parallel primaries phased correctly you'll get ~4kV between the output QC tabs, balanced around ground.

This arrangement (with a DC resonant charging circuit) was the basic plan for the coil I never got around to building about a decade ago, so it sounds good to me.

Should be reasonably easy to get a quick simulation of the TC (or at least the power supply/tank circuit) going in LT Spice to sanity check everything and get a handle on how much inductance is required. Modelling the spark gap and streamer load will involve a large amount of guessing but you'll at least be able to get a good idea of how everything should work.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: