All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Arduino based DRSSTC or SSTC Modulator

Move Thread LAN_403
Reaching
Thu Jul 03 2014, 11:16AM
Reaching Registered Member #76 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 10:04AM
Hi there.

Ive been working on a new drsstc modulator and thought this would be interesting for you guys.

the modulator basically is a simple arduino board (i.e mega 2560 or even the nano V3), with a 20x4 digit display and some sort of keypad to control it.
there are just a few external components needed so you dont even have to solder things together if you dont want to.

i just thought it would be cool to completely modulate everything in software instead of using external components.

there are 2 modes of operation.

first mode is the "manual" mode,. here you can control the on and the off time within restricted ranges you set in the code.
for example: if you set 250microseconds on time in the code, the modulator is not be able to do more than 250microseconds.. no need to grab your screwdriver and turn a trimpot around and measure the output. just write it in the code and you done^^

the display shows you the on and the off time in realtime, calculates the frequency in hertz and calculates the duty cycle in %

the output is either inverting or non inverting, depending on the electronics you want to use to send the signal to your coil.

the volume will be displayed in percent, so you know if your audio input is loud enough. the ontime is displayed and the adjusted mode.

Its still a work in progress but ive been working on it for days now and its ready to play the first music on a drsstc :)
ive made a video of the modulator, but its in german, so, just take a look, maybe i will explain it in english on the next video, but i have a bad accent, ^^

Link2

If this all works fine, i will add a third mode, the midi input cheesey

Greetz,
Martin
DerStrom8
Thu Jul 03 2014, 12:36PM
DerStrom8 Registered Member #3704 Joined: Sun Feb 20 2011, 01:13PM
Excellent work, thanks! I'm currently building my first DRSSTC and I am using an Arduino Uno as the controller. I currently only have it set up to adjust frequency and duty cycle, but was also going to add some zero-crossing detector code for audio input. Mine won't be as fancy as yours, for sure, but your project is definitely going to be an inspiration.

Cheers!
Matt
Graham Armitage
Thu Jul 03 2014, 02:29PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
This is great. The first modulator I built used the Arduino and I continue to experiment with it. I love the idea of being able to experiment via code rather than circuitry. Never did anything this fancy though - very nice work. A MIDI option would be the cherry on the top.
Reaching
Thu Jul 03 2014, 04:35PM
hey
Yes, i thought that too.

So im working hard on a midi mode right now... maybe in a few days, hihi^^ cheesey

Greetz,
Martin
Sigurthr
Fri Jul 04 2014, 03:12AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Very nice work, that code must be quite impressive! Loneoceans has a brilliant SSTC interrupter that runs on arduino IDE via a ATTiny85 chip, and I've reworked his software to suit my needs (adding a CW mode and adjusted the PRF and PW range) but getting either of our versions to work as nicely as yours for a DRSSTC would be a stretch. I'm no programmer though, but yours looks beautiful!
Reaching
Fri Jul 04 2014, 07:16PM
Hi

Did some serious tests today cheesey First light with a small drsstc was quite impressive

Link2

Cheers

Martin
DerStrom8
Fri Jul 04 2014, 08:42PM
DerStrom8 Registered Member #3704 Joined: Sun Feb 20 2011, 01:13PM
Reaching wrote ...

Hi

Did some serious tests today cheesey First light with a small drsstc was quite impressive

Link2

Cheers

Martin

Very impressive! Nicely done! Do you plan to release the source code, or is it your own little secret? wink

I look forward to seeing more!

Regards,
Matt

EDIT: I stumbled across this in my work, thought I'd share it. May serve as some inspiration!
Link2
Vitalii
Mon Sept 01 2014, 02:50PM
Vitalii Registered Member #46012 Joined: Thu May 01 2014, 12:54AM
Hi!
Can you share your source code and schematic with the community.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: