Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

SSTC antenna question

Move Thread LAN_403
ZakWolf
Tue Jul 01 2014, 01:32AM
ZakWolf Registered Member #3114 Joined: Sat Aug 14 2010, 08:33AM
Hi,

I built steve wards sstc5 mini Link2 and eventually got around to boxing it up in a computer psu supply box (metal). I am having issues with the antenna though (the secondary is on top of the psu ) , I have cut it really short about an inch and a half and its sticking outside of the box. If its raised more or less then about 1/4" the coil doesn't run constant or at all.

I lengthened the antenna to about 4in and put it perpendicular off the box and it seems to work well and produce even larger discharges then before but still is inconsistent sometimes...

I found that by pinching it with my fingers i can make the coil produce the largest possible by the setup and the most constant.

Any advice on how or where the antenna should go for best results, im sure someone has had this experience too

thanks

Edit:what about this option... i dont think i would have to change my setup except for the ferrite core "Another method is obtaining feedback using a small current-transformer on the secondary coil. This is constructed by wrapping around 50 turns of wire on a small ferrite core with the secondary wire going through this ring on the ground side. Care must be taking to ensure the right phasing, which is simply done by reversing the direction of the secondary wire if the phasing is wrong. I find this to be more reliable than the antenna, and removes the need for a fragile wire sticking out of the driver. Thus I have employed the use of secondary current feedback. Likewise, schottky diodes clamp the output. The output of the current transformer is fed through two logic inverters (74HC14 or similar) which cleans up the signal to the Mosfet driver."http://www.loneoceans.com/labs/sstc2/ #Design

since im new to SSTC i would need some help with this though :(

will post dem pics when im done haha
Sigurthr
Tue Jul 01 2014, 02:08AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
The metal box acts as a faraday cage blocking the feedback signal, and it also acts as a capacitor in parallel with the antenna, so if you can get it farther away from the box you'll have better results. The reason why touching the antenna makes it work well is that your body is a huge capacitively coupled antenna to the topload.

You can use a CT feedback as well but keep in mind that you'll have trouble running CW (if you do this at all) unless you provide an enable pin ping to start oscillation manually.
ZakWolf
Tue Jul 01 2014, 02:55AM
ok so i will just try to run the antenna farther away thanks
loneoceans
Tue Jul 01 2014, 05:25AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
The antenna can be a bit tricky, but I found that I get best results with the antenna is sticking parallel from the secondary coil, i.e. perpendicular from the floor. I think 4 to 5 inches is a good length for small to medium sized coils. Just make sure it's far enough away so it doesn't get hit by the sparks, but near enough so it gets a nice strong signal. You can play around with a wire stuck to an oscilloscope with your coil driven at the base by a signal generator to get a feel of how the antenna picks up signal, but be sure to use some sort of insulating rod to hold up the antenna :)
Mads Barnkob
Tue Jul 01 2014, 12:27PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
I used a small acryllic tube, regular wire going out through the metal shielded driver and the tube makes it much easier to adjust the coupling by pulling it down or pushing it up.

I adjusted it for maximum spark output and minimum corona on antenna tip ;)

You can see here how I positioned the antenna in this full-bridge sstc5 clone: Link2
ZakWolf
Wed Jul 02 2014, 02:24AM
thanks everyone !

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: