All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Bridge from ebay

Move Thread LAN_403
bomber315
Mon Jun 30 2014, 12:14PM
bomber315 Registered Member #43257 Joined: Thu Feb 20 2014, 03:53PM
hello everyone,

I am keeping my eyes open for parts and pieces to build a 4 foot coil during my slow time this winter. I have seen a couple of these kind of setup on ebay over the past few months. Link2

not sure if they are a good starting point or not. I understand that the igbt's might not be best for a drsstc. I am wondering if i were to swap them out with some better, stronger, faster pieces if everything else would be good for this sort of thing.

Admittedly i do not fully understand the importance of inductance and capacitance in the connections (cables) between the igbts and such. It seems real tempting when most of not all of the hardware is there already.

Second question: What are these big heat sinks/ bridges out of?!? The listings never seem to say "removed from a ...." but i feel like if i knew where they were from i would be able to come across more/ better used setups

Thanks
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 30 2014, 12:26PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The MG200Q2YS40 is a somewhat slow device with turn-off times up to 1.5us. You might be able to make it work, but the Powerex CM300DY-24H is the classic tried and tested device for a DRSSTC and you can pick surplus ones up quite cheaply. CTR Surplus should have them.

These assemblies are usually out of large motor drives (VFDs, inverter drives) or large UPSs. They tend to run at low switching frequencies like 5kHz, so the stray inductances and capacitances are less of an issue than in DRSSTC work.
bomber315
Mon Jun 30 2014, 12:45PM
but do you think buying that and swapping out the igbt's with some 300's would be a good idea? or would all of the cables and connections be worthless in a coil?
teravolt
Mon Jun 30 2014, 04:20PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
if you want it the heat sync is ok and the igbt are probably ok for induction heater or a ferrite core set up. they probably are for a power inverter. i bouhgt some and have used the syncs for other things but steve is right they are slow junk for teslas.
bomber315
Mon Jun 30 2014, 06:03PM
well wouldn't all of the igbt's be connected the same as in a tesla coil? couldnt i use all of the big heavy wires to connect better igbt's on the same heatsink?

or would i have to run the heavy copper bus bars like i see other people doing?

its not like i am in love with this particular item, im just curious if it would be a good idea or not
Mads Barnkob
Mon Jun 30 2014, 06:08PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
It is in my opinion a bad deal to pay 60$ for a heat sink, some wire with shoes, brass fittings and snubber capacitors.

If you want to build a DRSSTC at the power level CM300s can deliver, better invest the money to make it good and sturdy, like the ones you see with copper bus bars, going cheap usually leads to disappointment or short life time.
teravolt
Mon Jun 30 2014, 07:12PM
teravolt Registered Member #195 Joined: Fri Feb 17 2006, 08:27PM
how big a tesla you want to build
bomber315
Mon Jun 30 2014, 08:59PM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

It is in my opinion a bad deal to pay 60$ for a heat sink, some wire with shoes, brass fittings and snubber capacitors.

If you want to build a DRSSTC at the power level CM300s can deliver, better invest the money to make it good and sturdy, like the ones you see with copper bus bars, going cheap usually leads to disappointment or short life time.

oh thats fine, i figured that was probably the case. I have no problem spending the money or fabricating the bus bars and such. I did actually see one with bus bars on there once but it didnt last long, it went for $70 i believe.

i am still in the very early stages of gathering parts, technically all i really have is a secondary coil form. It is 8" OD and as long as need be (36"-48" im guessing)... still trying to get a grasp on everything so i can plug some better numbers into javaTC

I suppose with enough looking i can find a heatsink and build bus bars cheaper than that stuff on ebay any ways. as stated before the igbts on it are basically worthless to me

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: