Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Pacemaker hazard

Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Tue Jun 24 2014, 07:47PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Given the significant EMF output of a DRSSTC has anyone tested the effects on a pacemaker? I see a lot of demonstrations done in public and wonder if pacemaker warnings are appropriate or necessary? Never heard anything mentioned at museums etc. Does anyone worry about this when doing a demo? Had anyone nearby with a pacemaker with any effects? Is there a "safe" distance? Other thoughts?
Dr. Dark Current
Tue Jun 24 2014, 11:52PM
Dr. Dark Current Registered Member #152 Joined: Sun Feb 12 2006, 03:36PM
This is the thing i was worried of as well, but never heard of any problems.
Sigurthr
Tue Jun 24 2014, 11:58PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
There was a huge discussion about this on the TCML not too long ago, where some experts (medically trained with first hand experience of testing the devices iirc) weighed in on it. I think the general consensus was that as long as the person with the device is just watching and not participating in any way, they can be around an operational coil as long as a reasonable distance is maintained between the farthest arc point and themselves, perhaps a few meters. The idea was that the human body acts as a faraday cage to the device as far as the actual RF output is concerned. If one is really concerned I recommend they dig up the actual conversation on the TCML archive, it's no more than a few months old now at most.

Link2
Graham Armitage
Wed Jun 25 2014, 10:35AM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
I have never heard of any problems either and given how prolific these medical devices are I would expect to have heard of something. Active participation is probably where it becomes risky and I never let anyone "play" with the coil anyway. good point about the human body - I bet that does provide some form of shielding. When I think about the high degree of EMF noise we are all subjected to with power lines, radio transmitters etc. these folks would probably be having problems already.
HV Enthusiast
Wed Jul 02 2014, 01:34PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Note that the late DC Cox had a pacemaker and spent his life building and manufacturing Tesla Coils at Resonance Research.

Unless you are in actual contact with a coil or arc, i think the risk is minimal. The fields do die down exponentially from the source, so as long as the participant is a good distance away, there shouldn't be any issues. Just don't have them close to the coil or holding a fluorescent tube etc... for an experiment.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: