All today's birthdays', congrats!
Kipmans (34)
DuartmaN (47)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: High Voltage
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Light LED with 4 nanoamps

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Zamboni
Mon Jun 16 2014, 04:53PM Print
Zamboni Registered Member #2836 Joined: Fri Apr 30 2010, 01:24PM
I have made a dry pile battery that has an output of 450 volts, BUT has an amperage of only 3 nanoamps.

I wanted to use the drypile battery to light an LED intermittently. The idea is that the LED would slowly flash for many years.

The amperage of the battery is so low that I can't use most electronic components. Most components will just act as a drain for the battery, without actually doing anything useful. I have charged a capacitor very slowly with the battery.

My thought was to try to use the battery to charge a capacitor, and have the capacitor light the LED intermittently. I could not figure out a way to charge a cap, and have the cap "switch on" to light the LED, and then automatically go back to charging the capacitor.

Anybody have any ideas?
klugesmith
Mon Jun 16 2014, 05:40PM
klugesmith Registered Member #2099 Joined: Wed Apr 29 2009, 12:22AM
By amperage, do you mean the short-circuit current? If it's that small, then the pile must have an internal resistance of 150 gigaohms. How do you measure the voltage?

The flashing light is trivial, and probably more luminous on average, if you use a neon glow lamp instead of an LED. Jut put an NE2 or equivalent (e.g. from disposable camera flash unit) in parallel with the capacitor, and you will have a relaxation oscillator.
Zamboni
Mon Jun 16 2014, 06:29PM
By amperage, do you mean the short-circuit current? If it's that small, then the pile must have an internal resistance of 150 gigaohms. How do you measure the voltage?

***I used a Picoammeter to get the amperage. I use a Singer Electrostatic Meter to measure the voltage. I believe that your figures are correct, a dry pile has tremendous internal resistance.

The flashing light is trivial, and probably more luminous on average, if you use a neon glow lamp instead of an LED. Jut put an NE2 or equivalent (e.g. from disposable camera flash unit) in parallel with the capacitor, and you will have a relaxation oscillator.

*****I had pondered the use of a neon bulb. I was looking for something that would last for decades (or longer). As I understand it, a neon bulb will last for between 8 and 15 years. Perhaps even longer in "blink" mode".I was hoping for something that would last for at least 50 years.

My dry piles have already lasted for 5 years. There are dry piles like the Oxford Electric Bell that have lasted for over 150 years I hope that mine will last that long...or, dare I dream, longer. I suppose that I will be long gone before they fail to function.
klugesmith
Mon Jun 16 2014, 07:40PM
Zamboni wrote ...
I had pondered the use of a neon bulb. I was looking for something that would last for decades (or longer). As I understand it, a neon bulb will last for between 8 and 15 years. Perhaps even longer in "blink" mode".I was hoping for something that would last for at least 50 years.

My dry piles have already lasted for 5 years. There are dry piles like the Oxford Electric Bell that have lasted for over 150 years I hope that mine will last that long...or, dare I dream, longer. I suppose that I will be long gone before they fail to function.
This is fun stuff! Please tell us more.

I bet the unpowered shelf life of neon glow lamps is more than 100 years, just like incandescent lamps.
Nixie-tube clock enthusiasts could confirm that most 50-year-old nixies work, though some small fraction have gone bad with age. There's much less to go wrong in a 2-terminal lamp. Who knows how long non-hermetic encapsulated LEDs will last in benign environments? They seem OK in my 1970's handheld calculators and digital watch.

Neon specified operating lifetimes are similar to those of LED's.
A typical part here: Link2,
run at 0.3 mA for a brightness of 1.40 mcd (omnidirectional),
should be good for 50,000 hours.
That amounts to 15 ampere-hours of charge passed through the lamp.
How many AH of consumable material (per cell) are in your dry pile battery?

-Rich

[edit] I just learned a new name for the proposed oscillator circuit: Link2
What kind of capacitor are you thinking of? Leakage current in capacitor or lamp could be a deal breaker.

klugesmith
Mon Jun 16 2014, 08:49PM
Couple more things.

1. As mentioned before, your dry pile battery's anodes or cathodes must be chemically exhausted after some number of amp-hours or milliamp-hours.
If 4 mAh (that's a wild-ass guess) then at 4 nA it would last for a million hours (114 years).
Surprising that any battery could be short-circuited for years and have any juice left, but I guess that's what galvanic corrosion is all about.

2. Back to LED's. A few years ago I reported being able to see the light from an LED at steady-state current of about 12 nanoamps. Link2
Zamboni
Tue Jun 17 2014, 01:22AM
This is fun stuff! Please tell us more.

*****I make a (very expensive, lots of work to make) Device that uses a Zamboni battery to power a horizontal pendulum. The batteries that I make usually have more than 1500 volts per battery. Ocasionally, I mess up and the resultant (defective) battery only has around 500 volts. I was looking for something interesting to do with my "factory seconds". I have been working at making Zamboni Dry Piles for around 8 years. To my knowledge, I am the only peson in the world making Devices of this type. They look like this: Link2

I bet the unpowered shelf life of neon glow lamps is more than 100 years, just like incandescent lamps.
Nixie-tube clock enthusiasts could confirm that most 50-year-old nixies work, though some small fraction have gone bad with age. There's much less to go wrong in a 2-terminal lamp. Who knows how long non-hermetic encapsulated LEDs will last in benign environments? They seem OK in my 1970's handheld calculators and digital watch.

*****I am old enough, so you would think that I would have thought of Nixie tubes. I think you are right.

Neon specified operating lifetimes are similar to those of LED's.
A typical part here: ,
run at 0.3 mA for a brightness of 1.40 mcd (omnidirectional),
should be good for 50,000 hours.
That amounts to 15 ampere-hours of charge passed through the lamp.
How many AH of consumable material are in your dry pile battery?

*****I went to Radio Shack and got a neon bulb that turns on at 90 volts. I hooked it up and it did not light ;-(
I am now going to try using a capacitor in parallel with the neon bulb. I don't know if the neon bulb (in an unlit state) draws off any current at all. I suppose that will be the next parameter I investigate.

What kind of capacitor are you thinking of? Leakage current in capacitor or lamp could be a deal breaker.

*****I am using a Mouser part number 871-B32652A2332J Polypropylene Boxed Capacitor (3300Pf) I understand that poly caps have very low leakage. I know the battery will charge the cap because I (foolishly) picked up the cap...and got shocked.

Thank you very much for you insightful suggestion. I don't know all that much about electronics and your encyclopedic understanding is very helpful.

Paul
klugesmith
Tue Jun 17 2014, 02:44AM
Thank you, Paul. I admire your Zamboni pile creations. We both have plenty to learn about neon lamps in nanoampere circuits.

Answers might come sooner by experiments than by searching the Internet.
The latter just led me to this article about the dark effect Link2

I wonder if your lamp is glowing at steady 4 nA, but too dim to see except with dark-adapted eyes, or only detectable with instruments?
If the canonical oscillator actually runs, then with 3300 pF of capacitance the discharge energy is only microjoules per pulse. Might be visible in the dark. Let's see what happens.
Newton Brawn
Tue Jun 17 2014, 02:48AM
Newton Brawn Registered Member #3343 Joined: Thu Oct 21 2010, 04:06PM
Is it possible to make a converter HV to LV and feed a LED ?
Ash Small
Tue Jun 17 2014, 10:53AM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Newton Brawn wrote ...

Is it possible to make a converter HV to LV and feed a LED ?

Parallel connection of the cells, rather than series connection?
Antonio
Tue Jun 17 2014, 01:49PM
Antonio Registered Member #834 Joined: Tue Jun 12 2007, 10:57PM
Interesting research. I don't see how to use conventional electronic switches (mosfets probably) to make a DC/DC converter at this low power level. Even if a suitable design could be found, powered only by the HV supply, the leakage of the closed switches would be probably greater than the available current. The neon lamp oscillator probably works, but with switching at 90 V most of the power is wasted. It's probably possible to use a neon lamp as switch, driving another lamp (maybe a LED) through a step-down transformer. Note that neon lamps have a small leakage current, through the glass envelope and through the gas inside, that is frequently doped with a small amount of radioactive material.
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: