All today's birthdays', congrats!
Desmogod (48)
Alex Smith (31)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Primary strike protection for DRSSTCs

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
mbd
Sun Jun 15 2014, 10:06AM Print
mbd Registered Member #43278 Joined: Sat Feb 22 2014, 09:18AM
Looking around a bit, I have found three different protection schemes to protect against primary strikes:

1. What I will call the "Steve Ward" approach of adding a 0.1uF cap from DC bus negative to ground (C3 in the schematic at http://stevehv.4hv.org/DR_plexi/general%20wiring%20scheme.pdf)
  2. What I will call the "Eastern Voltage" approach of adding a 0.1uF cap from an H-bridge output to ground (the bottom right cap in the schematic at http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/datasheets/flexiBrute10shuntcap_ds.pdf)
  3. What I will call the "Terry Fritz" approach of adding bandpass filters on each H-bridge leg (http://drsstc.com/~terrell/notes/DRSSTCprotec.pdf)

The first and third come from this earlier thread: http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?136375.post

I am not sure that I really understand any of the three protection schemes properly.

The Steve Ward approach

Steve Ward explains his approach on this on http://stevehv.4hv.org/DRSSTC4.htm:

Notice that if the coil arcs to the primary system, either the IGBTs or diodes (which are always there) will let the current go safely back into the DC bus caps, where it can couple through C3 (a 100nF PP film cap) to the ground connection of the secondary coil. If the capacitor was not there, then it would likely blast through to the heatsink and destroy the IGBTs insulation. Or, it will find some other way. The idea here is simply to provide an excellent path for the streamer current to take, simple.
So, let me see I have understood this protection scheme:

• the reference to the IGBTs can be ignored because one cannot be certain that the "correct" IGBT will be conducting at the necessary time; and
  • that being the case, the free-wheeling diodes are key to the scheme - if the primary strike drives the H-bridge leg negative, the free-wheeling diode across the negative driving IGBT will conduct and discharge the strike across "C3". if the primary strike drives the H-bridge leg positive, the free-wheeling diode across the positive driving IGBT will conduct and discharge the strike across the bus by-pass capacitor ("C2") and "C3".

Question 1: Have I understood the "Steve Ward" approach properly?

The Eastern Voltage approach

On the one hand, the "Eastern Voltage" approach seems pretty straightforward - a straight discharge path from the H-bridge output leg to ground, but:

Question 2: Doesn't this scheme load up the H-bridge? (If Fres is 200kHz, Xc = 8 ohms. If Vbus is 400VDC and ground is at approximately 200V, then the peak current across the cap would seem to be 200/8 = 25A)

Question 3: Why is a cap only needed on one leg if a full bridge is used? See http://www.easternvoltageresearch.com/images/gallery_fbfbassy04_lg.jpg

The Terry Fritz approach

Question 4: If one adopted the "Terry Fritz" approach, would one also need to adopt the "Steve Ward" approach or the "Eastern Voltage" approach?

Question 5: Is the "Terry Fritz" approach widely used?

Question 6: If so, are the values of Cpro and Lpro in the paper used? Or do people adjust them? And, if so, what values does one pick to allow for tuning?

Thanks for your thoughts
MBD

PS This is my first post here so I here tender, in advance, my apologies for anything I have done wrongly.
Steve Conner
Sun Jun 15 2014, 11:36AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I use the "Steve Ward" approach and my understanding of how it works is the same as yours. I don't much like the other two methods.
Goodchild
Sun Jun 15 2014, 04:38PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
I have also been using the "Steve Ward" approach on my DRs and have been doing so for the last couple years now. I have found that it works very well. Generally you only need one capacitor from the bus to the heatsink (RF ground) because the main bus cap and/or your snubbers are so low impedance at TC frequencies that C2 is not really needed.

Just an FYI the EVR method is "Steve Wards" method, it's just a copy.

I feel that a slight improvement on the scheme is to have one cap going from RF ground to each side of the bridge rail, one from +V and one from -V to RF ground. This give two parallel paths, rather than one series path.

Steve Conner
Sun Jun 15 2014, 06:26PM
Goodchild wrote ...

I feel that a slight improvement on the scheme is to have one cap going from RF ground to each side of the bridge rail, one from +V and one from -V to RF ground. This give two parallel paths, rather than one series path.

This is how I built my Odin bridge. smile
mbd
Sun Jun 22 2014, 08:21AM
mbd Registered Member #43278 Joined: Sat Feb 22 2014, 09:18AM
Thanks for the responses. I have now modified my TC to conform to the "Steve Ward" approach but with the two path/cap improvement.

I have a couple of follow-up questions:
  1. Is there any magic in the choice of cap size (0.1uF)?
  2. Following up on Eric's comment that 'the EVR method is "Steve Wards" method, it's just a copy', does he mean that the idea is derivative? (This would make sense to me.) Or, does he mean that it is electrically equivalent? (If so, I would be grateful if someone could explain how that can be.)
Hydron
Sun Jun 22 2014, 11:28AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
mbd wrote ...

Thanks for the responses. I have now modified my TC to conform to the "Steve Ward" approach but with the two path/cap improvement.

2. Following up on Eric's comment that 'the EVR method is "Steve Wards" method, it's just a copy', does he mean that the idea is derivative? (This would make sense to me.) Or, does he mean that it is electrically equivalent? (If so, I would be grateful if someone could explain how that can be.)

To me the "EVR" method seems different and inferior to the "Steve Ward" method regardless of whether it was intended as a copy or not. As you noticed, the displacement current through the capacitor is significant at TC frequencies and would both load the bridge somewhat and require a high RMS current capacitor.

To size the capacitor you need to know how much voltage you're happy to have across it and the current through it. I put a scope on my topload to measure groundstrike current for my 6.5" dia coil and the highest I saw was ~6A, so I suspect your 8 ohm reactance 0.1uF capacitor will be easily big enough to keep the voltage reasonable.

On my coil I have two bus caps in series for >450V operation, with a 0.1uF 2kV polypropylene capacitor from the center of them to ground, value chosen by what I had lying around. Fairly certain the coil has survived a primary strike, though I don't have it on video to be sure.
Uspring
Sun Jun 22 2014, 03:58PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
I put a scope on my topload to measure groundstrike current for my 6.5" dia coil and the highest I saw was ~6A...
Interestingly low value. For e.g. 120kV voltage and 20pF topload, I get a time constant of 0.4us. Steve Conner quoted frequency components in the 10's of MHz for ground arcs. Something strange is going on.
Steve Conner
Mon Jun 23 2014, 10:23AM
Well, if the time constant were 0.4us, the output would be 3dB down at 400kHz, 60dB down at 4MHz, etc. But 60dB down on 100s of kV is still quite a large voltage, and the radiation efficiency goes up with frequency to compensate the fall-off in current.

wrote ...
Is there any magic in the choice of cap size (0.1uF)?

These capacitors are effectively from live to earth of the mains, so they have to be Class Y and should really be a maximum of 2.2nF. But we are building Tesla coils, not consumer electronics. smile I used 68nF because I had a lot of 68nF capacitors lying around.
Uspring
Mon Jun 23 2014, 10:57AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
You're probably right. One has to be careful, though, comparing noise spectra of e.g. van de Graafs or Marx generators to those of TCs. The voltages (per m of arc) are much higher, leading to a much faster breakdown in e.g. ns or tens of ns.

Goodchild
Thu Jun 26 2014, 10:56PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
mbd wrote ...

To clarify, I mean it's exactly the same...
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: