Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

GDT HELP

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Jazzman56
Thu May 29 2014, 10:40AM Print
Jazzman56 Registered Member #7222 Joined: Sat Oct 13 2012, 06:04AM
Hi Guys,

I'm in the middle of building my first ever Solid State Tesla Coil.
• I'm using a modified version of Steve Wards Micro tesla coil.
o Using a 12 Turn GDT like his MINI using a Single UCC37322
o Single IRFP460 to do the power switching
o 75VDC primary (Using a doubler from a 250watt 24ac transformer)
o Using a Feedback Transformer instead of an antenna → cleaned up by a 74hc14 hex inverter.

TESTING suitable Cores
I have tested a variety of cores and picked one, which I though was suitable (out of a microwave oven filter circuit I have no idea what material it is but believe it to be ferrite)

How I tested the Cores:
• I used a oscope probe hooked up to the function generator to the primary side of the GDT to be tested
• I then used another oscope probe into my CRO to look at the resulting waveform.

I Believe it wasn’t the best way to test a GDT as of the impedance of the probes? is this correct ?

Testing Driver board with GDT
I've constructed the driver board and have now run into some problems with the GDT. After switch on the amplitude of the resulting waveform increases for a few seconds, then swings massively, overshooting the limits of my cro's screen. At this point either the UCC37322 or GDT becomes audible and the chip gets hot fast :/ and I think it when poof too :(

• Testing was done with the output of the GDT to a 10ohm (and on another occasion with a 2.7 ohm resistor in parallel) with the probes of my scope across these terminals.
• My function generator can only achieve 200khz although I believe the 555 timer kicks Ucc37322 into oscilation at about 300khz.

Is the Core Reaching Saturation?
How should i go about testing for issues ?

Regards,
Jazzman56

51 Pm

59 Pm

29 Pm

43 Pm
Thomas W
Thu May 29 2014, 11:19AM
Thomas W Registered Member #3324 Joined: Sun Oct 17 2010, 06:57PM
I have had similar things happen to be. This will be because you are using the incorrect core. You want a ferrite one and i do believe this is iron powder.

I cannot, however, remember what core everyone uses more or less...
Jazzman56
Thu May 29 2014, 11:36AM
Thanks Thomas :P
I'll scrap that core

Does anyone recommend a good type of core material to look for ? Or where i can buy / get one from ? (For both a GDT and Feedback Xformer )
Graham Armitage
Thu May 29 2014, 02:16PM
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
I get mine from EVR - Link2
They work great and are inexpensive.
Hydron
Thu May 29 2014, 07:28PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Core in the pics looks like ferrite, but the best way to test is to try and use a file on it. Iron powder will be easily cut by the file, ferrite will chip (it's a ceramic) and if you keep going will blunt the file.
dexter
Thu May 29 2014, 09:31PM
dexter Registered Member #42796 Joined: Mon Jan 13 2014, 06:34PM
That core looks like a EMI suppression core which is not suitable for that frequency but people managed to pull it off with even worse cores....

From your description and pictures i see a logic signal (0 - Vcc) fed into the gdt and since there is no DC blocking cap between the ucc and gdt a DC component is always present which is saturating the core and causing all the problems described.

Easy fix pace a 0.1uF or higher polypropylene or ceramic (better) capacitor between ucc and gdt - C6 on Steve's mini SSTC schematic
Jazzman56
Thu May 29 2014, 11:22PM
Thanks Everyone :P

Unfortunately EVR has a $25 shipping charge. Anyone know where i can get something similar in AUS?

I'll try the DC Blocking cap which i totally forgot to wire in.

Hydron
Fri May 30 2014, 12:24AM
element14 (formally known as Farnell) is worth looking at, I know they stock some FairRite cores, though not at amazing prices. Other than that, try RS (also likely to be expensive but with low shipping cost), or do a bigger order at Mouser or Digikey to get the free shipping.

As an aside, I feel your pain over shipping costs, NZ is just as bad, and our GST threshold for imports is a lot lower too (400 NZD vs 1000 AUD).

Edit: For the record, I've gotten away with using EMI suppression ferrite toroids for gate drivers (didn't have anything better on hand) - seemed to work fine, but isn't ideal. I just wound 10-12 turns of CAT5 though it and was away laughing. The DC blocking cap is important!
Sigurthr
Fri May 30 2014, 01:18AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
I believe you have access to Digikey down under, a good friend of mine mentioned ordering from them and he lives in NSW.

I use these cores in all my SSTC work, and they perform flawlessly up beyond 1MHz and down to 30Hz. I've driven large capacitive gates quickly with no issue or sign of saturation.

495-3868-ND

Link2
Hydron
Fri May 30 2014, 01:41AM
Sigurthr wrote ...

I believe you have access to Digikey down under, a good friend of mine mentioned ordering from them and he lives in NSW.
Yeah, we can get parts from Digikey/Mouser fairly quickly and easily, it's just not always cost effective for small orders. If we use the US site (in USD) we pay $30 USD for flat rate shipping, and if we use the local NZ/AUS sites the prices are 10-15% higher but with free shipping on orders over ~100USD.

$30 USD is actually very reasonable for fedex express (fedex can get well into the hundreds shipping small-medium boxes to AUS/NZ), but if you just want to quickly grab a few parts it's very frustrating.

Those cores look good by the way, thanks for the info!
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: