Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

1st Drsstc Build

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Cade Brinkley
Tue May 27 2014, 01:21PM Print
Cade Brinkley Registered Member #40731 Joined: Wed Nov 20 2013, 01:02AM
This is my first post, so I'm going to go ahead and apologise:)

Hello, my name is Cade Brinkley and I am 16 years old. I have built a small spark gap coil and am very familiar with the workings and theory behind it.

I have started building a medium sized drsstc based on a full bridge of cm300dy-24h's. The primary and secondary coils are completed, full bridge is mostly built and primary caps are ordered.
(picture attached)

I plan to use Goodchild's UD 2.5 as my controller with a single gdt driving the bridge.

Specs are as follows:
Resonate frequency ~75KHz
IGBT's: Cm300dy-24h
Secondary: 32 awg over 20" of 6" drain pipe for ~2100 wraps.
Toroids: 1.5x12" wreath form and 18x4" dryer duct
Primary: tapped 6-7 turns 1/4 copper tubing
Primary Capacitor: 300nf @ 8Kv 942C20P15K-F
Bus voltage: 400v eventually...

I haven't spent much time on interrupters, but i am very interested in the musical aspects of these things.

I'm just kind of making sure I'm doing everything correctly...

Thanks for any feedback!
1401196837 40731 FT0 Photo1

1401196837 40731 FT0 Photo2
Feathers
Thu May 29 2014, 03:51AM
Feathers Registered Member #10052 Joined: Thu Feb 07 2013, 11:31PM
Welcome!

Looks like you've got a great start. Your coil is very similar to my DR's, 75KHz, 6" 32AWG secondary, etc.

Link2

Your capacitor voltage rating looks a tad low, considering the peak currents you could run on those CM300's, but other than that, this looks like lots of progress already.
loneoceans
Thu May 29 2014, 09:06AM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
Welcome!

Yeah when I first came here I initially was wondering if this was feather's twin coil of his green one! Since you're following his specifications (looks like the primary and all dimensions are basically identical), I'm sure the build will be fine. Good job so far and keep us updated :). Feathers had a nice build thread a short while back so it'll probably be good reference for you .

Also, I recently made a few Midi drsstc interrupters for myself and have a few extra boards and parts leftover. Check out my thread in the buy sell section if you're interested. Link2 Almost all gone though!
Cade Brinkley
Fri May 30 2014, 02:17PM
Feathers wrote ...

Welcome!

Looks like you've got a great start. Your coil is very similar to my DR's, 75KHz, 6" 32AWG secondary, etc.

No use to entirely reinvent the wheel:)

I got in a large parts order yesterday, so I've got a lot of work to do this weekend.... I'll keep y'all posted.

I would like to have some kind of precharge/control circuit that put 400v into the bridge. My thought was to use a voltage doubler after a 140v variac. Any thoughts? Ideas?

Thanks!
Feathers
Fri May 30 2014, 08:49PM
Feathers Registered Member #10052 Joined: Thu Feb 07 2013, 11:31PM
It tends to be a matter of what just works. There is a trend toward high-impedance, tightly coupled systems with the stubby secondary. Its worked well for others, and makes plenty of sense.

For the precharger, I just use a doubler on 120. It gives you 340 volts, but the push to 400 doesn't net much more spark, when you can just run longer on-times.

Keep us posted!
Cade Brinkley
Tue Jun 03 2014, 06:01PM
MMC is done!
1401818446 40731 FT163422 Photo2 1

Bit of an update:

I have ordered UD 2.5 boards and components and mostly finished the bridge. I also have a basic interrupter:) I just need a variac.......

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but here goes:

I'm trying to find a panel mount plug to attach my ~350VDC 20A for the bridge to the coil. It turns out that its rather tricky to find a plug with those ratings, and when I do they're some weird 5 or 7-pin... What do you more experienced use or suggest? I will probably use terminal strip just to get things working, but I want to get it a little more finished for demos...

Thanks!
Cade Brinkley
Thu Sept 04 2014, 12:28AM
Ok, so another update:

Construction is almost completely finished:) I have a working interrupter and UD 2.5, Just need to wire grounding...

Which that brings up a question. I have seen a few threads on grounding a drsstc and they have a few different ways to do so, mostly depending on the size of the coil. My understanding is that with a small coil everything can be safely grounded to mains, but with a large coil, an RF ground is needed. The ground scheme that I plan to use for this coil is a decoupling cap from the negative bus rail to a shared mains/RF ground connected to the secondary base and strike ring. From my understanding this should be just fine, but just making sure.....

I have also tested the primary circuit. After increasing gdt series resistance to get rid of that awful ringing, my primary current is still not ringing up well. (Note that this picture is before I fixed the ringing issue, but primary current waveform hasn't changed)

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious like phasing or something, but I'm still very new at solid state electronics.....

Thanks!
1409790530 40731 FT163422 Image
DerStrom8
Fri Sept 05 2014, 01:32AM
DerStrom8 Registered Member #3704 Joined: Sun Feb 20 2011, 01:13PM
What are he specs for your GDT, and what voltage are you driving it with?
Cade Brinkley
Fri Sept 05 2014, 01:59AM
It is the common 15 turns of cat5 driven by goodchild's UD 2.5. 24v drive voltage.

Bit of a development:
My oscilloscope is an old 80s digital ($5 nicolet) which seems to have issues with the triggering on tesla coil waveforms, so I can't get a good picture of what's happening. So I connected up the secondary to see if anything was happening and was able to get 2 inch sparks from the breakout point. The problem continues though that I had the interrupter pulse width turned all the way up (~15 cycles) and was putting 170 volts on the bridge. Both of which lead me to believe current isn't ringing up well. I also noticed that my bus cap was getting warm as well.

Thanks!
1409882342 40731 FT163422 Image
loneoceans
Thu Sept 11 2014, 06:12PM
loneoceans Registered Member #4098 Joined: Fri Sept 16 2011, 09:26PM
For your power connections, I recommend using some sort of NEMA socket, or those blue-outdoor high current sockets which I really like (IEC 60309 series: Link2 ). Although you could probably get away with a normal heavy duty common extension line. Your description of grounding also sounds about right. Would be good if you could get a proper external ground.

For the output problem, it would be great if you could give us more details on your setup and your measuring method. For example, what gate resistance are you using now? Have you set the phase lead and tuning for the coil? You can adjust the phasing with the simple phase jumper on the UD2 board. I did a quick write up for my DRSSTC 3 which looks to be similiar in size to to your coil, so that might be helpful :). Link2 . It seems to me that at least something is right since you're making sparks so your phasing is right, but the sparks are unusually small. Your bus cap shouldn't be heating up at all.

1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: