Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Jack (13)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

USB to MIDI

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Fri May 02 2014, 12:49AM Print
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Hi,

I am still having major problems with the MIDI output from the laptop. The interference from the coil is clearly causing a problem with the USB port, as when the note hangs, the laptop often has to be rebooted to get the USB port to work again. Probably not good for the laptop frown When I have the laptop power cord plugged in the problem is magnified 100x and it won't even play the first note without hanging. I have tried several laptops and same problem. Moving further away definitely helps but even at 20ft it will hang with a ground strike.

From my observations it seems to be the ground on the USB that is picking up the signal and causing the problem. The USB to MIDI cable is shielded but the shield is grounded as is the MIDI controller's metal box. Not sure what else I can do other than a full faraday cage to sit in, but really don't want to have to go to that length. Anyone had any success in overcoming this kind of problem?
Steve Conner
Fri May 02 2014, 07:46AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
USB is notoriously sensitive to interference. Try wrapping the USB cable through a large ferrite toroid as many times as it will fit.
Graham Armitage
Fri May 02 2014, 12:33PM
Oh boy - can't believe I didn't think of trying that frown Well, I gave it a try this morning and actually had enough cable to wrap around two toroids and ran it at full power from about 10ft and never had a single note hang. Cannot thank you enough - it looks like that did the trick.
HV Enthusiast
Fri May 02 2014, 07:58PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Are you using a fiber optic link to the coil, or copper?
Graham Armitage
Fri May 02 2014, 08:03PM
Using fiberoptic from MIDI controller to coil. After Steve's suggestion it's still behaving. Hoping it continues to work.
Hydron
Sat May 03 2014, 12:10AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
You're not the only one to run into this - USB uses single ended signalling for a few things on the bus (e.g. bus reset), and is extremely susceptible to common mode noise.

I have seen the same thing on my USB-MIDI converter (these seem particularly bad, probably not helped by the dirt cheap construction and lack of shielding), my scope when running with USB, and also USB-serial converters when doing EMC testing.

I solved the MIDI thing by just moving further away, and the ferrite toroid choke worked somewhat for my scope, though the real answer was switching to ethernet connection. For EMC testing we ended up using real hardware serial ports, which are far superior to the USB imitations in other ways too.
Intra
Mon May 05 2014, 05:30AM
Intra Registered Member #2694 Joined: Mon Feb 22 2010, 11:52PM
I have had same problem. This can runs under grounded Faraday's cage and into it you should put the laptop, midi-usb adapter and interrupter. Between interrupter and coil you should use fiber optic cable.
Graham Armitage
Mon May 05 2014, 10:20AM
Faraday cage is ideal but did not want to go to that extent. The two ferrite toroids and moving further away seems to be working really well. I have been doing more testing and still no problem with hanging notes. This is the most stable it's ever been.
Goodchild
Mon May 05 2014, 03:39PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
I have had seen amazing improvements after eliminating the USB to MIDI converter. My current working theory is that the non-differential un-shielded MIDI cable between the converter and the DR controller is the largest culprit in picking up noise.

In my latest design I have built a custom USB to MIDI converter right onto the same PCB as the micro running the DR controller software. This way I only have a USB link between the computer and the controller. The ground referenced serial MIDI signal is reduced to only about a half inch of trace onto of a ground plane.

This made a huge improvement, I was able run my old controller right beside the new one and I was able to get the controller almost close enough to arc to the coil without it locking up. The old version of the controller however locked up per usual when it was brought to within about 10 feet of the coil.

USB if used as a standalone link is very noise immune being fully differential, particularly if you run with ferrite chokes. As soon as you add the unshielded ground referenced MIDI into the same cable USB becomes as useless as the MIDI serial, because your link is only as good as the weakest part of the chain.
Graham Armitage
Mon May 05 2014, 05:58PM
Thanks Eric, I am using the Mini MIDI/DR controller from Paul Slawinski which does the job. Then between the computer and the controller I have the dreaded USB cable Trying to picture your setup and how it is different from what I am doing?
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: