All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

ETG trigger

Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Mon Apr 21 2014, 05:05PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
I had an idea for an ETG trigger mechanism, and after checking that stud diodes are available from Ebay for a few £'s each, with free postage, that are rated for 1200V and ~10,000Amps for <10mS, I sketched the circuit below:

1398098898 3414 FT1630 Etg Trigger

C1 is a capacitor bank (electrolytics?), diodes are strings of the above, string length depends on breakdown voltage of 'spark gap'. C2 is a small value high voltage capacitor.

When switches S1 and S2 are closed, both capacitors charge up to the 'low voltage' supply voltage, then S1 and S2 are opened.

When switches S3 and S4 are closed, C2 charges up until breakdown voltage of the spark gap is reached, and C2 discharges through the spark gap. When C2 discharges, initiating breakdown, C1 is able to discharge through the spark gap, creating a 'HUGE' spark.

Can anyone see any problems with this idea? I realise I may want to add a resistor to the HV supply line. Any other reccomendations? Any other comments will be appreciated.
Steve Conner
Mon Apr 21 2014, 06:28PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
There is no fundamental problem with it, other than conduction losses in the diodes and the risk of blowing them up.

You might also like to try a setup like a high pressure arc lamp ignitor or TIG welder HF unit. In other words, instead of putting diodes in series with the main power supply, you put an inductor in series and induce a high voltage pulse in it by transformer (or Tesla coil) action. An inductor may well be less lossy than a string of diodes.

I've seen both the diode method and the inductor method used for starting arc lamps.
Ash Small
Mon Apr 21 2014, 07:13PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

There is no fundamental problem with it, other than conduction losses in the diodes and the risk of blowing them up.

You might also like to try a setup like a high pressure arc lamp ignitor or TIG welder HF unit. In other words, instead of putting diodes in series with the main power supply, you put an inductor in series and induce a high voltage pulse in it by transformer (or Tesla coil) action. An inductor may well be less lossy than a string of diodes.

I've seen both the diode method and the inductor method used for starting arc lamps.

Yes, we've discussed the HF TIG welder type circuit here before. I've a couple of questions regarding this. If I remove S3 and S4, along with C2 and the diodes, and place the HV pulse transformer where one of the diodes is, won't C1 'see' the voltage induced accross the transformer secondary? (I know I used HV capacitors and chokes when I built an HF TIG welder to keep the HV away from the lower voltage rated components.)
Ash Small
Tue Apr 22 2014, 06:50PM
I've looked at this again, and even if I put a transformer where C2 is, I still see the same problem, ie C1 will 'see' the transformer.

As I see it, any blocking inductors would impede the discharge of C1, although a 10mS pulse from C1 (the figure I quoted from the data sheet for the diodes) equates to one half cycle at 50Hz, I expect C1 to discharge much faster than this.

The original idea was for minimum parts count. Low voltage capacitor bank will be smaller than a higher voltage one, the only 'issue' is the string of stud diodes, although from what I've read in other threads on ETG's, spark gap size doesn't make much difference, so spark gap (and hence voltage) doesn't need to be that high, especially if the electrodes are designed correctly.

I'm not sure what voltage Neil's CCFL tripler is putting out here: Link2, but this looks like a simple circuit for the HV, although I assume it runs from mains power. Maybe I should post a few questions in his thread?
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 22 2014, 07:54PM
It doesn't matter that C1 sees the high voltage pulse. It is a short pulse so only contains high frequencies.

The inductor will slow the discharge a little, but this may not be a problem either. If you think of the inductor in a TIG welder HF unit, it is air cored with only about half a dozen turns.
Ash Small
Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:04PM
Steve Conner wrote ...

It doesn't matter that C1 sees the high voltage pulse. It is a short pulse so only contains high frequencies.

The inductor will slow the discharge a little, but this may not be a problem either. If you think of the inductor in a TIG welder HF unit, it is air cored with only about half a dozen turns.

Ok, it only contains high frequencies, but I'd expect C1 to 'absorb' some of the energy. With an HF TIG welder it's usually DC (or 50-60Hz AC if welding aluminium), and DC is just 'smoothed' by inductance (50-60Hz AC shouldn't be greatly affected either, as long as the inductance isn't too great).

I suppose I should run some tests, but I do have a few other projects underway.

My TIG welder has ten turns on the air core transformer, slightly over an inch in diameter.

I should have some spare cash next month so maybe I'll order some of those stud diodes from Ebay.
Steve Conner
Wed Apr 23 2014, 08:15AM
C1 won't absorb any of the energy, it will appear as a short circuit to the high frequencies that the ignition pulse is composed of.
Ash Small
Wed Apr 23 2014, 11:34AM
Steve Conner wrote ...

C1 won't absorb any of the energy, it will appear as a short circuit to the high frequencies that the ignition pulse is composed of.

OK, I'll give it a try. My concerns were the ESR of a bank of electrolytics, although I can see that the HF shouldn't be a problem for the polarity of the electrolytics, as they won't actually be 'reverse charged'. I'll post an alternative circuit later. I'm assuming the transformer would need to be in series with C1 and the spark gap, rather than in parallel with them?
Steve Conner
Wed Apr 23 2014, 11:43AM
Yes, in series.

The ignition pulse will be low current and high voltage, so the ESR of the bank shouldn't be an issue.

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: