All today's birthdays', congrats!
David.Lightman (54)
jonny5 (40)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Large DRSSTC: choosing secondary impedance

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Kizmo
Mon Apr 21 2014, 12:06PM Print
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
I managed to have quite epic secondary failure last night and now im looking forward of winding new one. With topload the failed secondary was around 70kOhm impedance at resonance. From earlier conversations I recall several coilers stating that somewhat optimal secondary impedance for big coil is less than 50kOhm. Is this still true? Old secondary was 315x1270mm and I think i will make it a little larger for next coiling season.

1398081884 599 FT0
Dr. Slack
Mon Apr 21 2014, 08:04PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
To an engineering approximation, 70k *is* 50k, just like secondaries have 1000 turns, +/- 3dB
HV Enthusiast
Mon Apr 21 2014, 10:20PM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Can you provide more information regarding your failure?

Looks like you have a single point failure on your secondary which could have been caused by:

1. Faulted wire - kinked wire, overlapped wire, etc....
2. Too much coupling which caused an arc over at a weak point in your epoxy etc...
3. Dust / debris on your secondary causing an arcing problem (I once had a moth land on my secondary coil causing it to arc at that point killing the secondary)
4. Bad grounding (this can cause your secondary peak voltage to occur somewhere other than the top)
5. Improper primary to secondary spacing - voltage breakdown
Kizmo
Tue Apr 22 2014, 04:14AM
This coil is has relatively loose coupling, around .165 and there has *never* been single flashover over the period of 2 years i have run this thing. Failure started as turn to turn arcing ~100mm from the bottom end of the coil.

Im not too concerned about why it failed. When the failure happened we were ripping really loud and bright 3...4x secondary winding length ground strikes at nearly 15kW (yes, thats DC power, 28kVA..)

I suspect the failure has something to do with this Link2

As interesting experiment im planning to build another secondary of same dimensions that has lower impedance, less turns and space winding at least the bottom end of the in hopes of adding more insulation between turns.
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 22 2014, 10:25AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
I agree there is the possibility of some sort of "whiplash effect" where a really hard ground strike launches a travelling wave down the secondary. It may well be reflected from the bottom causing a buildup of voltage there. I think the best solution is to include some sort of impedance in the ground strike circuit.
Uspring
Tue Apr 22 2014, 11:45AM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Since the primaries magnetic field is strongest at the bottom of the secondary, the voltage induced in the secondary might cause a particularly strong electric field near the bottom. Spacing the windings at the bottom of the secondary probably helps since it reduces the electrical field there and also improves inter winding insulation.

A side effect of this is, that it will reduce coupling.

Steve Conner
Tue Apr 22 2014, 12:16PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The voltage profiles in a DRSSTC are different to the ones calculated by TSSP/GeoTC, which assumes spark gap operation, exciting both resonant modes equally.

The voltage profile in a DRSSTC depends on which mode is excited. The lower resonant frequency gives a "convex" profile with a high E-field in the vicinity of the primary, as described by Uspring above. The upper one does the opposite, it gives a "concave" profile with a weaker E-field near the primary and a stronger one further up the secondary.

I proposed this years ago and Richie Burnett verified it by experiment. It's still a mystery to me how the primary manages to transfer energy into the secondary when the mutually induced voltage is opposing the self-induced one, but it's a fact that it happens.
Kizmo
Tue Apr 22 2014, 01:59PM

This was filmed after I realized the coil was not worth of repairing. It may look like it but there was no primary-secondary strikes, just more or less shorted turns arc welding each other.
Uspring
Tue Apr 22 2014, 02:25PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Steve wrote:
It's still a mystery to me how the primary manages to transfer energy into the secondary when the mutually induced voltage is opposing the self-induced one, but it's a fact that it happens.
Average power transfer is proportional to the sine of the angle between primary and secondary current. At the lower pole it's closer to zero and for the upper pole closer to 180 degrees. It's best to push a swing hardest, when it's at the bottom smile

Looking at the video, it seems though, that ground strikes are the culprit.
Goodchild
Wed Apr 23 2014, 03:34PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
This subject is also of interest to me. Because I too run coils with high impedance. My large coil for example has an impedance of near 80K at its 41KHz resonant frequency (this is without spark loading).

302.7mH secondary impedance (calculated)

Without spark loading at 41KHz it’s 78K

With spark loading at 31KHz it’s 58.8K

So after the secondary is loaded it drops down a lot, however when we get ground strikes I imagine this loading drops to nothing (because capacitance drops and frequency goes back up) and the impedance rises back up to near 77k. Am I correct in thinking this?

To my point, ever sense we have started using a counterpoise ground I have noticed that the coil is more prone to flashing over and burring up secondareis. I thought this was just a coincidence but your guy’s comments have made me think otherwise.

The counterpoise ground helps to reduce radiated interference (lower impedance path to ground) however could it be a problem when dealing with ground strikes?

I’m also curious to where the magic 50K keeps coming from?
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: