Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
GrantX (34)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Low frequency tesla coils?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Artlav
Wed Apr 09 2014, 12:34PM Print
Artlav Registered Member #8120 Joined: Thu Nov 15 2012, 06:06PM
Were there any tesla coils that ran at low resonant frequencies, like 5-10kHz?
I've only heard of and seen ones running at 100s of kHz.

For typical designs that would mean huge topload and/or huge coil, but are these the only problems?
Would there be any advantages to low frequency?

Steve Conner
Wed Apr 09 2014, 01:09PM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
As far as I know, the optimum characteristic impedance for a Tesla coil is about 50k ohms. That establishes a relationship between the size of the coil and the operating frequency. So, low frequencies are only usable for really large coils.

Below a certain frequency (which due to the above relationship, also implies above a certain power level) GTO thyristors will become more cost-effective than IGBTs in solid-state coils. I estimate this happens around 10kHz and 100kW average power.

20Products
Uspring
Wed Apr 09 2014, 04:14PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Artlav wrote:
Would there be any advantages to low frequency?
From a theoretical point of view, a lower frequency allows for more arc length for a given power. This is due to the effect, that arc lengthwise resistance can be higher since the capacitive load due to the arc capacitance is lower. Arcs can therefore be less conductive for a given arc length and thus require less heat.

Whether a match between the arc load and the bridges voltage and current capabilities can be obtained, depends mostly on the secondary to primary inductance ratio. A large secondary inductance would require a correspondingly larger primary inductance, careful tuning and as much coupling as possible. Arc impedance is probably higher at low frequencies, so the match is probably simplified somewhat. My guess is, that a low frequency, moderate power coil can be made to work.

Dr. Slack
Wed Apr 09 2014, 04:21PM
Dr. Slack Registered Member #72 Joined: Thu Feb 09 2006, 08:29AM
OK Steve, tease/troll successful. What is that bit of power pron from, and what are its specs?
Ash Small
Wed Apr 09 2014, 05:14PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

OK Steve, tease/troll successful. What is that bit of power pron from, and what are its specs?

It's one stage from a pulse generator, it consists of a toroidal core with a one turn primary. The secondary is a shaft which fits through the hole in the centre. These stages are then stacked.

There is a description of one of these here: Link2 (it's the link in the second post on that page)
Artlav
Wed Apr 09 2014, 05:32PM
Now i seem to remember reading about a lighthouse-sized tesla coil (modern days one), that ran at something in the low 10s of kHz, but Google failed me here.
Anyone heard about it?

Dr. Slack wrote ...
That looks like a part from a locomotive drive.

Steve Conner wrote ...
Below a certain frequency (which due to the above relationship, also implies above a certain power level) GTO thyristors will become more cost-effective than IGBTs in solid-state coils. I estimate this happens around 10kHz and 100kW average power.
Hm?
I was under impression that SCRs don't work well or at all above a few hundred hertz, which is a couple orders of magnitude too low.
Uspring
Wed Apr 09 2014, 05:51PM
Uspring Registered Member #3988 Joined: Thu Jul 07 2011, 03:25PM
Anyone heard about it?
Link2
Artlav
Wed Apr 09 2014, 06:05PM
Uspring wrote ...
Anyone heard about it?
Link2, that's it.
38kHz as i remembered.
Not DRSSTC as i thought, but a spark gap one.

And it looks a lot smaller in the video - Link2 than on the pictures.

So, with a big enough coil low frequencies are possible.
Hydron
Wed Apr 09 2014, 07:30PM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
It is indeed 38kHz, specs are here: Link2

I've actually been to the sculpture farm it's located on, sadly it's only visible in the distance as it's in a private area, so I can't comment on what it looks like in person. It's a shame it's one of the few sculptures (most of which are extremely impressive) that aren't able to be experienced by the public on an open day.
Steve Conner
Thu Apr 10 2014, 10:33AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Dr. Slack wrote ...

It's a GTO thyristor assembly from an electric locomotive. I don't know the exact spec, but it will be thousands of amps at a good few kV. The large round object is the thyristor in a hockey puck package, and the smaller semiconductors clustered around it are the gate drive. A GTO is easy enough to turn on, but needs a huge pulse of current to turn it off.

GTOs switch somewhat slower than even the slowest IGBTs, but they're still a lot faster than 50Hz. In a DRSSTC application, the resonant load would help a lot with turn-off.

I will get my hands on an H-bridge of these one day. >:)
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: