All today's birthdays', congrats!
Kipmans (34)
DuartmaN (47)

Next birthdays
04/24 Jack (13)
04/25 Desmogod (48)
04/25 Alex Smith (31)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Phase Lead Compensator - What to compensate?

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
zzz_julian_zzz
Fri Apr 04 2014, 06:12AM Print
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question, I'm wondering, what Specifically are we trying to compensate when we use Phase Lead Compensator? Base on the other notes I have read, we are using these to advance the signal for the bridge not be in hard switching. To advance means to compensate the delay of the Logic Drivers & IGBT switching times.

Now, question; Are the Phase shift times are base on the Rise time, On-time delay, Fall time, and off-time delay from the data sheet of EVERY component (in the case of UD2.0: from the comparator TL3116 to the IGBT to be used) that is/may cause delay on the signal path?
how do we actually put this properly, are we going to sum them up(numbers from the datasheet) then adjust the L using O-scope to see the amount of time being shifted, OR is there a way to actually match the Primary current without these numbers?

how do we check it to make sure it's not too much lead shift/ or not yet sufficient lead shift? I heard that it's more dangerous for the bridge if the signal is too much leading. Thanks.
Kizmo
Fri Apr 04 2014, 08:36AM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
Yeps the total sum of phase lead required is a sum of all delays in your circuit. Also transformers, both feedback and gate drive may cause some phase shifting.

Simplest way of adjusting it is just to tweak it for lowest ringing at the inverter output voltage. Due to imperfections of this basic circuit you can't get rid of ringing during first couple cycles but that doesn't really matter anyways.
zzz_julian_zzz
Fri Apr 04 2014, 10:50AM
zzz_julian_zzz Registered Member #3964 Joined: Thu Jun 23 2011, 03:23AM
Kizmo wrote ...

Simplest way of adjusting it is just to tweak it for lowest ringing at the inverter output voltage. Due to imperfections of this basic circuit you can't get rid of ringing during first couple cycles but that doesn't really matter anyways.

Thank you for the reply.
The output of the inverter means, the two points between the 2 IGBTs of per Halfbridge Leg? This is before the L & C of the primary tank right? Thanks
HV Enthusiast
Sat Apr 05 2014, 01:17AM
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Kizmo wrote ...

Yeps the total sum of phase lead required is a sum of all delays in your circuit. Also transformers, both feedback and gate drive may cause some phase shifting.

Agreed. Lowest ringing and overshoots on the pulse edges. The reason being that even your measurement equipment (current probe, voltage probes) will induce some phase shift into the measurements, so simply lining up the voltage / current waveforms for perfect "zero cross switching" using whats shown on the oscilloscope is not necessarily whats happening with the real waveforms.

I know that I get about a 10 degree phase shift with just my Pearson current transformer alone.
Feathers
Mon Apr 07 2014, 05:57PM
Feathers Registered Member #10052 Joined: Thu Feb 07 2013, 11:31PM
Its important to recognize as well that you'll never be able to compensate for the first cycle or so, because the phase-lead circuit is a passive network, and can't see into the future.
In other words, it doesn't "know" the phase/frequency characteristics of the signal its compensating until a cycle or so of that signal has passed.

I spent forever hunting through my driver, and working with sub-optimal phase lead adjustments trying to avoid the inevitable. :P
Goodchild
Fri Apr 11 2014, 06:09PM
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
Feathers wrote ...

Its important to recognize as well that you'll never be able to compensate for the first cycle or so, because the phase-lead circuit is a passive network, and can't see into the future.
In other words, it doesn't "know" the phase/frequency characteristics of the signal its compensating until a cycle or so of that signal has passed.

I spent forever hunting through my driver, and working with sub-optimal phase lead adjustments trying to avoid the inevitable. :P

Actually this is not really the case. If you run SPICE you will see that a passive LR will start leading almost instantly. This true because V will always lead the I in an LR network regardless if it’s the first cycle or the last or somewhere in between. It’s the rate of change of I that creates a lead in V. This holds true for things other than sine waves as well. As long as it has a rate of change associated with it this phenomenon with take place.

With that being said the reason why the first cycle doesn’t lead right in the UD2 is due to the sensitivity of the detector/squaring network after the LR (ie the diode copper and comparator). The voltage drop of the copping diode network must be overcome along with threshold voltage set at the input of the comparator. Typically at the start of a burst the feedback at the zero crossing doesn’t have enough amplitude to cross these thresholds until about 5% to 15% into the quarter cycle.

There is not really any simple ways to eliminate this. One solution would be to lower the comparator reference V for only the first half-cycle then raise it for the remainder of the burst. However this is not necessary considering the losses on the first cycle are super low anyway.

8661228164 B02fa9b33e C

8660318826 78a29fed2c C
Kizmo
Fri Apr 11 2014, 06:35PM
I think dude 500 explained this issue quite well here: Link2
Goodchild
Fri Apr 11 2014, 06:41PM
Kizmo wrote ...

I think dude 500 explained this issue quite well here: Link2

Kizmo... You sneaky dog, I see what you did there wink

My post to that thread is back when I thought of it the way Austin did. It’s a triky subject that took me a lot of poking at before I got it all strait in my mind.

Dude500 switched to what is known as all all-pass filter which would indeed eliminate the threshold error. His initial mathematical explanation is spot on, this is tru for both the LR and op-amp based all-pass filter.
Kizmo
Fri Apr 11 2014, 06:43PM
We live we learn :)

Math in that thread goes way past the point i can understand.. but from practical point of view, ringing at first couple half cycles doesn't matter at all :)
Goodchild
Fri Apr 11 2014, 06:49PM
Kizmo wrote ...

We live we learn :)

Math in that thread goes way past the point i can understand.. but from practical point of view, ringing at first couple half cycles doesn't matter at all :)

You are completely correct ringing in the first cycle is not that big of a deal. It comes down to how perfect you want your signal to look.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: