Guests: 396, Members: 0 on 12 Jan : 12:51
Members Birthdays:
No birthdays today

Next birthdays
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
04/29 GODSFUSION (37)
04/29 Zajcek (37)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Grounded strike target

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Graham Armitage
Tue Apr 01 2014, 01:58AM Print
Graham Armitage Registered Member #6038 Joined: Mon Aug 06 2012, 11:31AM
Based on all I have read on this forum, it is suggested that the strike objects be grounded directly to the base of the secondary (also to ground wire in the 120v source) so as eliminate extraneous ground loops running through the house wiring. Makes sense in theory, but when I do that, a strike to the grounded object causes fluorescent lights to flicker, tv's goes haywire etc. When I let the arc strike to an object just sitting on the concrete floor it does not interfere with any of the house wiring.

Any explanation for why this seems to be opposite from what I read? I have the strike ring around the primary connected to the base of the secondary and ground, but I can see I would want that.
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 01 2014, 07:50AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
The capacitance that stores the Tesla coil's energy is between the topload and the surroundings (walls of the room etc) Any sudden discharge of this capacitance will make a high transient current flow in the surroundings. It will invariably get into the house wiring as this is the most conductive part of the surroundings.

If the arc strikes an ungrounded object, there is no low-impedance return path to the surroundings, so the topload doesn't discharge suddenly.

You might think that grounding the strike object to the secondary base "completes the circuit" and all the discharge current circulates in that loop without getting into the wiring. This is only true for current at the coil's resonant frequency. The spike of current from a ground strike contains lots of high frequencies which can't pass through the secondary coil because of its high inductance. So they flow from the strike target straight out of the secondary base ground wire, and return to the topload via the surroundings.
Graham Armitage
Tue Apr 01 2014, 10:00AM
So if a strike to an ungrounded object does not fully discharge the top-load that would suggest a lower current draw and as you say, less high frequency current returning via the surroundings. Two good things I imagine, so why is it always suggested that we ground the strike object? What is the benefit?
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 01 2014, 10:09AM
I have no idea. When doing public demos I try to use a full Faraday cage, and if that's not possible I try to avoid arcing to ground altogether. Blazing away at a grounded target is a sure-fire way to generate lots of nasty EMI.
Graham Armitage
Tue Apr 01 2014, 11:02AM
Thanks Steve, that's good to hear, and to confirm what I was seeing and doing. How about the base of the secondary and strike ring - do you connect those together and ground them to the mains supply or do you use a separate RF ground?
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 01 2014, 11:09AM
Secondary base and strike ring grounding is a tricky issue. For protection of DRSSTC electronics, you want all of the grounds tied together, but for EMI you want to separate the RF grounds from the incoming power supply.

Nowadays I err on the side of protection, since as I explained above, separating the grounds doesn't really help EMI as most of the really bad stuff gets capacitively coupled straight into the surroundings from the topload anyway.

So, I tie all of the grounds together at the base of the coil. Secondary base ground, strike rails, IGBT heatsink, EMI line filter, and the AC line green wire. I also bypass the DC bus directly to the IGBT heatsink using a couple of 0.1uF capacitors, to give a direct return path for any primary strikes. Otherwise they can punch through your gate drive transformers or the IGBTs' isolation barriers and the resulting follow-through current from the DC bus will blow your setup to smithereens.

When running in a Faraday cage (more often than not nowadays) I also bond all of the above grounds to the cage.
Graham Armitage
Tue Apr 01 2014, 11:19AM
Wow - that's good info. I like the idea of the protecting the circuits with the 0.1uF caps - that's a bonus. Other than that I do have a similar grounding config. Would love to see your faraday cage setup sometime.
Thanks
Kizmo
Tue Apr 01 2014, 03:12PM
Kizmo Registered Member #599 Joined: Thu Mar 22 2007, 07:40PM
I can confirm that the grounding method Steve suggested works very well with big DRSSTC too. And by big i mean my BiggerDR ( Link2 )
Graham Armitage
Tue Apr 01 2014, 05:10PM
That's an impressive coil. Looking at the video it seems you have a cable from the ladder going back toward the coil. If that is not a grounding wire, as Steve advises against, what is it and where is it going?
Steve Conner
Tue Apr 01 2014, 05:15PM
I think it is a grounding wire and Kizmo just doesn't care about EMI as he is in the middle of a forest in Finland. smile
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: