Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
uzzors2k (35)

Next birthdays
03/29 GrantX (34)
03/30 Adam Horden (39)
03/30 Mr.Warwickshire (23)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Tesla Coils and 1st / 2nd Graders

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
HV Enthusiast
Wed Mar 12 2014, 02:41PM Print
HV Enthusiast Registered Member #15 Joined: Thu Feb 02 2006, 01:11PM
Hey all,

I'm volunteering with the local boy scouts and going to give some Tesla Coil / High Voltage demonstrations to about 20 different cub scout dens which will consist mostly of 1st and 2nd graders.

Does anyone have any ideas on what a good science lesson to include with these demonstrations that would work well with 1st and 2nd graders and something they can relate to?

Thanks

Here is a little circus bigtop music which will be used for the demo.

Houdini0118
Wed Mar 12 2014, 03:14PM
Houdini0118 Registered Member #8558 Joined: Thu Dec 06 2012, 11:38PM
Most Tesla coil physics is going to be way above their head. If you can do something along the lines of engineers build cool stuff it will probably go better.
Feathers
Wed Mar 12 2014, 05:52PM
Feathers Registered Member #10052 Joined: Thu Feb 07 2013, 11:31PM
Break it down. Explain electrons, how they flow to do stuff, how they hate eachother, and why they jump off the top of the machine.

Draw analogies to the noise the tesla coil produces, and thunder from real lightning.

Its not concepts that confuse them, its terminology.

I run demos at school science nights, and some of the science teachers REALLY get on my nerves, because they use unfamiliar terms like peak voltage, charge distribution, etc. I even caught a presenter trying to explain impedance to a group of 3rd - 5th graders.

They were acting like it was their job to impress kids, not teach them. Most people, for some reason, want science nights and related events to dazzle kids like a magic show.

We need to show them the cool stuff, then remove the magic from it. Let them know that its possible for them to understand the basic physics of whats happening.

They won't be able to wrap their heads around things like alternating current, so generalize. The coils stuff electrons in to the top of the machine, and they hate eachother, so they jump off.
HV Enthusiast
Thu Mar 13 2014, 11:54AM
Thats good information guys! Thanks for your feedback. I will doing some thinking and come up with something. I think maybe a presentation on sound and sound waves might be good.
Cheezey
Fri Mar 14 2014, 01:37AM
Cheezey Registered Member #28483 Joined: Fri Jul 12 2013, 09:00PM
You could also do a bit of explanation on why sparks jump to a grounded object - maybe explain that electrons want to go back to their source so they take the easiest path there.

I would've killed to see a Tesla coil at that age - they're gonna love it :D
E.TexasTesla
Sat Mar 15 2014, 10:52PM
E.TexasTesla Registered Member #4362 Joined: Sat Jan 21 2012, 03:44AM
I'm the scoutmaster for a group of boyscouts age 11-18 but I have been around the younger ones.
Your best bet if to use CFLs or long fluorescent bulbs to get the WOW! COOL! factor.

Also I have a MIDI file from the portal game that all gamers recognize.
Runs good on the "onetesla" coil.
Sulaiman
Sun Mar 16 2014, 12:36AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
yes, definitely go for the WOW! factor,
detailed explanations are probably not encouraging,
if they are interested give them some URL's.

I guess arcs to a small tree branch (in moist soil/earthed) would show why NOT to go under a tree during a lightning storm, especially if you can ignite the wood. !

maybe little human-like figures with a neon lamp to indicate field strength?

a miniature kite on a conductive 'string', preferably held by a combustible human-like miniature.

a horizontal conductor simulating railway overhead power lines or power grid lines.

if you are confident, get one of the scouts to use a 'chicken stick' to draw arcs,

explosions, arcs, flames ... all good stuff.

quicksilver
Mon Mar 17 2014, 05:42PM
quicksilver Registered Member #1408 Joined: Fri Mar 21 2008, 03:49PM
Analogies are very important. Interpretations of words to everyday objects, characteristics, or actions are things easily understood.
You are essentially doing something so productive and has such a wonderful impact that it's tough to dramatize what that would yield in several years. The West has a woeful lack of people interested in science & mathematics: often because of inappropriate teaching methods.
Not to be overly dramatic, but the things you do can shape the future. We give a subtle (& sometimes no so subtle) message that science or math is "not for girls" or it's "boring". When you put together something that captures young minds your contribution to society in general is level of magnitude above a teacher who is in it for an easy paycheck & benefits. Remember that many kids are bombarded with stimuli - so that is often what they are used to. Attempt to "read" your audience. They are used to being showered with entertainment: therefore many times you have to "sneak in" the learning by (carefully) getting them actively involved. At that age girls mature much faster than boys: do your best to understand that. Do your best not to crowd too many concepts too quickly in your dialog.
I think what you are doing is seriously wonderful.
HV Enthusiast
Tue Mar 18 2014, 12:36AM
Awesome tips guys! Thanks

I may definitely stick with the WOW factor. I know as a child things that were demonstrated that were really cool left an impression in mind more than any explanation.

I'll probably take some cool LED light-up things, a Van de Graaf generator so they can "feel" the electricity and static charge, two Tesla Coils, my Body Light Electrical Conduction demo, and some other odds and ends. Just keep it simple and cool - make it as hands-on as possible.

Thanks again everyone for your tips and advice!
Ash Small
Tue Mar 18 2014, 12:34PM
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Personally, I'd start things off with a Jacob's ladder, just for the 'WOW'factor, and then bring in some 'science', and finish with a TC and fluorescent tubes, etc.
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: