Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
04/21 wannabegeekTC (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Electromagnetic Projectile Accelerators
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Multi-stage coil gun, switching the stages.

1 2 3 4 
Move Thread LAN_403
Dédé!
Sat Jan 11 2014, 10:25AM Print
Dédé! Registered Member #4932 Joined: Thu May 17 2012, 01:42PM
I was thinking about switching the stages in a multi-stage coil gun and I came up with the idea you can see in the schematic attached. It's a really messy schematic as I drew it very fast in paint. It's probably already been done if it works, but I haven't seen it and would like confirmation if it does work.
1389434895 4932 FT0 Coil Gun Multi Stage Schakelenn

The triangle is the projectile and shows the direction of the projectile and the rectangles are the coils.

Update:
Or do I have to put R1 and R2 at the collector side of the PNP transistor?
Yandersen
Sat Jan 11 2014, 12:00PM
Yandersen Registered Member #6944 Joined: Fri Sept 28 2012, 04:54PM
Wow, have my respect for non-standard thinking! So the idea is "the coil must be ON when projectile dims the gate, but as soon as the next gate is dimmed, coil goes OFF no matter the condition of the gate". Good idea for coilguns with projectiles longer then the coils, but the schematic, even if would be drawn error-less, would not reliably work in practice unless the comparator with big hysteresis is used - otherwise with the same levels at + and - you will have noise at output. Unless resistors for positive feedback is added.
Besides, you do not need pnp transistor - simply switch positions of phototransistor and ballast resistor to invert the output.
Dédé!
Sat Jan 11 2014, 01:20PM
Thx for your reply Yan, but shouldn't I keep the PNP transitors and feed them via a voltage divider so you would have different voltages when both fototransitors are off so the igbt's are still deactivated? or is this already fixed by the resistors for positive feedback. Also, would you just place those resistors over the output and the +? If I'm wrong, can you draw the schematic the way it might work? and maybe give a simple explanation? I'm sorry, but I don't know very much about electronics, especially not when it comes to comparators, but I can read something about them and see if I can learn some more about them.

Edit: Can't you use another voltage divider at the - of the comparator so it will get a slightly higher voltage than the + when they are both at 0? This way I don't think this positive feedback is neccesary, but maybe a really small positive feedback could still reduce the small amount of noise? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yandersen
Sat Jan 11 2014, 02:48PM
Here is my recommendation (not schematic, cus I am lazy to draw it):
Phototransistor and ballast resistor (say, 1KOhm) are the same as in your schematic, and let's call the connection point between them as "control point".
Then, from the control point to + goes 100KOhm resistor. And from output to + goes 1MOhm resistor. The - goes directly to the control point of the next gate. Draw it nicely, post it. cheesey

The opamp works simple: if voltage level on + is higher then on -, output is high. Otherwise - low. Mention that there is no default value on inputs - left floating it may have any potential, resulting in unpredictable output behavior.
Dédé!
Sat Jan 11 2014, 03:47PM
What would be the voltage to supply to the circuit? 5V? I think 5V would be nice as it's commonly used and it's not far above the voltage the average LED takes.
Also I understand that part, but didn't fully understand how those resistors for feedback work. I think I do know after watching a video on youtube.
I'm currently drawing.
Yandersen
Sat Jan 11 2014, 03:53PM
5V is good for this part of the circuit, but too low to drive the IGBT, but you need a MOSFET driver IC for that purpose anyway - do you understand that driving the IGBT's gate by opamp is inappropriate due to low output current and slow speed of output change?
Anyway, there is no guarantee that the schematic will work as expected - need to be tested first.
Dédé!
Sat Jan 11 2014, 04:13PM
Yandersen wrote ...

do you understand that driving the IGBT's gate by opamp is inappropriate due to low output current and slow speed of output change?

Yes, I do, but what kind of mosfet driver ic do you mean and how would it be connected to the comparator's output?
Yandersen
Sat Jan 11 2014, 04:53PM
Use non-inverting MOSFET driver and connect output of the opamp directly to the input of the driver. Simple as that. But first, you need to build 3-4 gates of the schematic we were discussing and check if it works at all - it may not. All I can say for sure is that yours was surely wrong. ^^
Dédé!
Sat Jan 11 2014, 05:05PM
because of some reason I can't reply with an attachment.
Dédé!
Sat Jan 11 2014, 05:08PM
Here's the schematic. thx for your help btw even though it might not work (the first time)
Schematic

Btw, how do you do those green arrow links?

Edit: Would it be possible to make some kind of huge spear cannon this way which uses a very long and thin projectile? Of course you can still load it with normal, small ammo and you wouldn't have to make the entire spear ferromagnetic of course.
1 2 3 4 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: