All today's birthdays', congrats!
Bead (41)
Fumeaux (25)

Next birthdays
04/26 Bead (41)
04/26 Fumeaux (25)
04/28 Steve Conner (46)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

HTCC (Hydra Tesla Coil Controller)

1 2 3 
Move Thread LAN_403
Goodchild
Tue Dec 31 2013, 06:30AM Print
Goodchild Registered Member #2292 Joined: Fri Aug 14 2009, 05:33PM
So I was getting feed up with all these different controllers laying around for different types of coils QCW, DRSSTC, SSTC, and the list goes on. Not to mention new ones we may have not even thought up yet (I have a couple ideas brewing *wink wink*).

So I set out to design a configurable Tesla coils controller. The forum talk a while back and my recent activity at work with FPGAs prompted me to put an FPGA at the core of my design. Why you may ask? Configurability, power, and compactness. I opted to us a Xilinx Spartan 3AN series part in a BGA-256 package. Mainly because it was non-volatile, cheap, easy to use, and had lots of head room for large future designs.

And whats an FPGA without a way to talk to the world of analog? So I also add a Maxim 105Msps 10-Bit differential ADC. This ADC will be used to track the tank current, base current, or whatever is to be used for feedback in the system. Additional I plan to have a lower speed AUX ADC for sampling a second signal like an audio source.

Gate drive was also important, so I designed a new compact dual independent GDT driver. This drive should be capable of driving full bridges-half bridges or whatever in a variety of modes like pulse-skip,ZVS ZCS, etc.

I currently have VHDL code written and working for a couple different operating modes including a regula DR with digital phase lead!

All power supplies on board are switching so no heat smearing linears. Also featured on board is power-on-reset and UVLA for all supply rails.

To top it all off the board is the same exact form factor as Steve wards popular UD2 right down to the fiber placement, making it a drop in replacement for already built coils.

I'm currently in the process of laying out the PCB and with any luck it will be done some time soon. I will try and update this thread with progress now and again.

Well I'm beat and it's time for sleep!

11662596656 23e4667d81 C

UPDATE 1/3/14

Today I finished the board layout corrected it for DCR errors and checked all the pads for sizing. The next step is to have a couple prototype boards fabricated. After that it will be small scale testing time on one of my small DRSSTC.

After my initial alpha testing is complete I would be happy to see what the 4HV community could do with the controller.

As I said before it is the same exact form factor as the UD1 and UD2, with the same fiber placement. With the addition of a fiber transmitter for sending serial data back to a micro or computer over a fiber interface. Both pads are provided to populate the board with ST style or industrial fiber-optics style RX and TX units.

Final board Specs:

• Spartan 3AN 4k logic cell FPGA non-volatile
  • 105MS/s 10-Bit parallel pipeline ADC, isolated and transformer impedance matched full differential input
  • four 12-bit 1MS/s (each) ADCs (2 of the ADSs are dedicated to reading the on board POTs)
  • Fiber isolated TX and RX for up to a 125Mb/s full-duplex communication link
  • 12-pos DIP switch
  • 2 General stats SMD LEDs
  • 24V dual independent GDT drive (with AUX outputs for additional gate drive or high side gate driver)
  • 24V 3.5A SMPS with 36V input tolerance and UVLO
  • Power on Reset and UVLO for 5V, 3.3V, and 1.2V rails.
  • General JTAG header for debug/prog
  • six diode protected GPIO + 2 analog and power
  • 3.7x2.4 board footprint

11741611325 03511bdbe7 C

11742006954 Dd0cd4995b Z
Sigurthr
Tue Dec 31 2013, 08:09AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
Awesome! I love seeing new developments like this! Will the mode selection be done by hardware or software? (Would the user have to reprogram to switch modes or parameters?)
Sulaiman
Tue Dec 31 2013, 10:13AM
Sulaiman Registered Member #162 Joined: Mon Feb 13 2006, 10:25AM
WOW !

a long way from a cap and a gap !

may I suggest one addition, a DC Bus current monitor.
for industrial motor drives the current sensors save a lot of silicon,
not foolproof but probably worth the little extra,
especially during development to save those OOPS! moments.

just out of curiosity, can you fit it onto a double-sided pcb or is it multi-layer?
(I hate fault-finding multi-layer pcbs, make the inner tracks extra wide)
Goodchild
Tue Dec 31 2013, 02:52PM
The mode of operation is currently changeable via a firmware change, however it would be a simple task to change it so that the mode was switchable without re-uploading the firmware. The FPGA has plenty of head room; a regular DRSSTC driver (no phase lead) only uses about 1% of its recourses.

I was already planning on having an AUX ADC with maybe 8 channels or so for this very purpose, audio input, temp monitoring, v- bus I-bus you name it. It can be very application specific, but the hardware will be available to use on board.

The first version of the board doesn't have this feature because it's more of just a test bed for the FPGA and legacy hardware. The second rev however will included the multichannel ADC and also a fiber TX unit for sending data back to a computer or controller of some kind for display.

I will most likely put some boards up for sale after they are complete so that people can develop their own application firmware or they can modify some of my base software.

If anyone has any suggestions or futures you think might be useful please add them here! This is the time to add them before I set the board in stone (or rather FR4).

It for sure has to be 4-layer It has 4 different voltage rails and high speed parallel bus running in the 10s of MHz. Not saying it couldn't be done on 2 however I rather just spend the extra $30 a board and save myself the headache later.
Shrad
Tue Dec 31 2013, 05:40PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
a nice thing to use your 10 channel ADC would be some programmable logic blocks between values, so you can implement custom logic for some combinations of values, by plugging it into a usb port? I don't know whether it would be useful or not in TC use, but it could be a nice idea
Goodchild
Sat Jan 04 2014, 01:37AM
I updated the thread with some more details in the original post.
Dr. Drone
Sat Jan 04 2014, 05:54PM
Dr. Drone Registered Member #290 Joined: Mon Mar 06 2006, 08:24PM
shades
Mads Barnkob
Sat Jan 04 2014, 07:55PM
Mads Barnkob Registered Member #1403 Joined: Tue Mar 18 2008, 06:05PM
That is one beautiful board and feature rich for that sake!

But oh do I fear having to trouble shoot on a 4 layer board with a FPGA programmed in something I do not understand or have installed ;) There is a reason for me sticking with throughhole components.

Goodchild
Sun Jan 05 2014, 03:03AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

But oh do I fear having to trouble shoot on a 4 layer board with a FPGA programmed in something I do not understand or have installed ;) There is a reason for me sticking with throughhole components.

If it makes you feel any better, only the power and ground layer are internal.
Hydron
Sun Jan 05 2014, 09:30AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Mads Barnkob wrote ...

While BGAs etc are a massive pain to debug or DIY, don't be afraid of the larger SMD parts. I find anything down to SOIC/0805 size _easier_ to deal with than throughhole, as there are no wires to bend, snip, drill holes for etc, and they take much less room. I've even had good results down to TSSOP/0603 size on home etched boards, though that requires more care and better eyes/magnifiers.

As for FPGAs, they are fantastic devices for certain applications. I'm lucky enough at work that our products are cost insensitive enough for us to be able to use them extensively, giving us a ton of flexibility to implement and change product functionality after the hardware design stage. Coding for them is also not too bad once you adjust to the different paradigm of parallel hardware vs sequential software operation, though there are many little pitfalls, especially with regards to signal timing. I highly recommend people having a play with them if they get the chance, though unfortunately they aren't readily available in hobbyist packages/dev kits as many microcontrollers are these days.
1 2 3 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: