Members Birthdays:
One birthday today, congrats!
Nicko (56)

Next birthdays
04/19 Nicko (56)
04/20 gentoo_daemon (42)
04/21 kilovolt (49)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Tesla Coils
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

2.5' SSTC First Light

1 2 
Move Thread LAN_403
Chip Fixes
Mon Dec 16 2013, 02:44AM Print
Chip Fixes Registered Member #3781 Joined: Sat Mar 26 2011, 02:25AM
I wound a 4.5" X 30" (32awg) coil tonight and plan to fire it up for the first time tomorrow or the day after. I'll be using Steve Ward's Mini SSTC design (just have to verify it's working properly) and I've got to run to the store to get a blow torch so I can epoxy this thing. Very excited!

Picture:
Link2
Chip Fixes
Tue Dec 17 2013, 07:01AM
I conducted a test run tonight with 12v just to verify everything was working properly. I verified the duty cycle on the 555 timer was 20% but when I hooked it up to the rest of the circuit, I measured the duty cycle on the output of the driver at 50%?? This is a new problem to me. Could it be because of the power supply? I used a computer psu before (I am using Steve Ward's now) and the duty cycle was consistently measured at 20%. A bit annoying because my fets won't last long at 50% when the SSTC is driven from mains.

Pictures:
Link2
Link2
Sigurthr
Tue Dec 17 2013, 08:28PM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
We need a schematic to go off of really. I think ur talking about his basic half bridge (antenna fed 74hc14 to UCC pair). We also need to know how you took your measurements; bridge connected or not, scope points, etc.

If you're measuring the secondary output the f0 waveform will always be 50% duty as interrupter duty just controls the duty of on and off bursts. You'll need a digital storage scope to measure system burst duty cycle.
Chip Fixes
Tue Dec 17 2013, 10:46PM
Yep just his standard circuit: Link2 I have a short at the resistor sub point and a 1uf (instead of 0.1) cap in series with output from the ucc.

I disconnected the output of the 555 timer from pin 3 of the ucc and scoped it - which gave me 20% duty cycle (frequency @ 100hz). But when I reattached the output of the 555 to the ucc and measured the duty cycle before it entered the GDT (GDT and bridge not connected), it's at 45-50% and around 60hz.
Sigurthr
Wed Dec 18 2013, 07:51AM
Sigurthr Registered Member #4463 Joined: Wed Apr 18 2012, 08:08AM
It sounds like you didn't have the coil running at the time. Your driver is just picking up the mains frequency and oscillating at that.

Feedback provides the primary operating frequency, and the interrupter (555 timer) tells the gate drive chips to essentially turn themselves off every so often. If you don't have the entire SSTC connected then you don't have any feedback going in.

As I said before, if you're scoping the output to the bridge and everything is working correctly AND you have feedback going in then you'll see bursts of a square wave who's frequency is your resonant frequency, where the burst frequency and duty cycle is the interrupter frequency and duty cycle.
Chip Fixes
Tue Apr 08 2014, 09:41PM
Sorry for the long delay, I have been quite busy and have not had a chance to fire up the large SSTC until yesterday.
Pictures are here: Link2

The secondary coil is 2,700 turns (±50 turns) of 32 awg wire, 27" tall, and 4.5" in diameter.

I was impressed by the output because: I was only supplying it with 40vdc, I didn't have the topload hooked up, and I have 15 turns on the primary. None of the components are heating up and I would have turned it up to max voltage (~170vdc after rectification) but the primary was too close to the secondary, so anything over 80vdc and it would start arcing :/ Right now the primary is wrapped around the cut up parts of clothes hangers. I was going to run to the hardware store and see if I could find some 6" diameter pvc, otherwise, I was thinking of getting some 1" diameter PVC pipe and then sandwiching it between the primary and secondary coil; just like the clothes hangers.

I do have a weird problem though. the coil only sparks if I touch the back of the lm7812 OR the lm7805 voltage regulators that supply the driver circuit with 12vdc and 5vdc respectively, if I don't touch the back of a regulator, it won't spark. Any ideas on how to fix that?
Steve Conner
Wed Apr 09 2014, 09:35AM
Steve Conner Registered Member #30 Joined: Fri Feb 03 2006, 10:52AM
Sounds like your driver circuit might not be grounded. The feedback antenna needs a ground to work against.
Hydron
Wed Apr 09 2014, 10:45AM
Hydron Registered Member #30656 Joined: Tue Jul 30 2013, 02:40AM
Good to see a bedroom-floor lash-up making sparks!

Is an antenna a generally reliable way to run one of these coils? I'm also thinking of whipping up a quick and dirty SSTC, and was planning to use a secondary base current as feedback (via a current transformer) with an additional circuit to start the oscillation, but the antenna version (with properly grounded driver as Steve mentioned) seems a whole lot simpler.
Chip Fixes
Wed Apr 09 2014, 03:47PM
Doh! You are right, my driver circuit is ungrounded and I totally missed that. Thanks! I used Steve Wards design and it has been completely reliable.

EDIT: I grounded the driver and it still doesn't output anything unless I touch it, anymore ideas?

EDIT 2: The farther my body is away from the top of the coil, the lower the output. If I am holding the back of the regulator or touching the top of one of the capacitors and I bring my other hand close to the top of the coil, the output increases.
Chip Fixes
Wed Apr 09 2014, 10:26PM
I grounded the transformer and I still didn't get any output from the secondary. So I did some more testing and found that if I hooked up a wire to the back of the regulator (or capacitor, or output from transformer, but NOT ground) and then brought that wire close to the coil, the output would increase.

Pictures: Link2 Link2
1 2 

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: