Rustycan (30)
H8erade (28)
Flood_of_SYNs (41)

Next birthdays
04/17 KaV (34)
04/17 Dave_P (38)
04/18 David.Lightman (54)
Contact
If you need assistance, please send an email to forum at 4hv dot org. To ensure your email is not marked as spam, please include the phrase "4hv help" in the subject line. You can also find assistance via IRC, at irc.shadowworld.net, room #hvcomm.
Support 4hv.org!
Donate:
4hv.org is hosted on a dedicated server. Unfortunately, this server costs and we rely on the help of site members to keep 4hv.org running. Please consider donating. We will place your name on the thanks list and you'll be helping to keep 4hv.org alive and free for everyone. Members whose names appear in red bold have donated recently. Green bold denotes those who have recently donated to keep the server carbon neutral.

Special Thanks To:
  • Aaron Holmes
  • Aaron Wheeler
  • Adam Horden
  • Alan Scrimgeour
  • Andre
  • Andrew Haynes
  • Anonymous000
  • asabase
  • Austin Weil
  • barney
  • Barry
  • Bert Hickman
  • Bill Kukowski
  • Blitzorn
  • Brandon Paradelas
  • Bruce Bowling
  • BubeeMike
  • Byong Park
  • Cesiumsponge
  • Chris F.
  • Chris Hooper
  • Corey Worthington
  • Derek Woodroffe
  • Dalus
  • Dan Strother
  • Daniel Davis
  • Daniel Uhrenholt
  • datasheetarchive
  • Dave Billington
  • Dave Marshall
  • David F.
  • Dennis Rogers
  • drelectrix
  • Dr. John Gudenas
  • Dr. Spark
  • E.TexasTesla
  • eastvoltresearch
  • Eirik Taylor
  • Erik Dyakov
  • Erlend^SE
  • Finn Hammer
  • Firebug24k
  • GalliumMan
  • Gary Peterson
  • George Slade
  • GhostNull
  • Gordon Mcknight
  • Graham Armitage
  • Grant
  • GreySoul
  • Henry H
  • IamSmooth
  • In memory of Leo Powning
  • Jacob Cash
  • James Howells
  • James Pawson
  • Jeff Greenfield
  • Jeff Thomas
  • Jesse Frost
  • Jim Mitchell
  • jlr134
  • Joe Mastroianni
  • John Forcina
  • John Oberg
  • John Willcutt
  • Jon Newcomb
  • klugesmith
  • Leslie Wright
  • Lutz Hoffman
  • Mads Barnkob
  • Martin King
  • Mats Karlsson
  • Matt Gibson
  • Matthew Guidry
  • mbd
  • Michael D'Angelo
  • Mikkel
  • mileswaldron
  • mister_rf
  • Neil Foster
  • Nick de Smith
  • Nick Soroka
  • nicklenorp
  • Nik
  • Norman Stanley
  • Patrick Coleman
  • Paul Brodie
  • Paul Jordan
  • Paul Montgomery
  • Ped
  • Peter Krogen
  • Peter Terren
  • PhilGood
  • Richard Feldman
  • Robert Bush
  • Royce Bailey
  • Scott Fusare
  • Scott Newman
  • smiffy
  • Stella
  • Steven Busic
  • Steve Conner
  • Steve Jones
  • Steve Ward
  • Sulaiman
  • Thomas Coyle
  • Thomas A. Wallace
  • Thomas W
  • Timo
  • Torch
  • Ulf Jonsson
  • vasil
  • Vaxian
  • vladi mazzilli
  • wastehl
  • Weston
  • William Kim
  • William N.
  • William Stehl
  • Wesley Venis
The aforementioned have contributed financially to the continuing triumph of 4hv.org. They are deserving of my most heartfelt thanks.
Forums
4hv.org :: Forums :: Projects
« Previous topic | Next topic »   

Simple Valve Amp

1 2 3 4  last
Move Thread LAN_403
Ash Small
Mon Nov 25 2013, 07:43PM Print
Ash Small Registered Member #3414 Joined: Sun Nov 14 2010, 05:05PM
Post updated 14th Feb 16.
I've decided I probably have most of the stuff I need to build a valve amp along the lines of the 'Mighty Atom'. It will initially be mono and will be based upon this circuit diagram:

1455406835 3414 FT1630 Mighty Atom With Parafeed

It could be powered from a transformer and bridge rectifier, with a suitable smoothing cap, but I'm planning on using a rectifier tube, etc.

The Mighty Atom is a class A single-ended amplifier, about as simple as it gets.

Suitable valves for V2, the output valve, are KT88, KT66, NT77, EL34, CV4060 AND EL37. Others could also be used, eg 805, but I'm using an 807 beam tetrode connected as a triode because I have half a dozen of them, and I may decide to add more in parallel at a later date. (I was considering valves like the 12E1, but I've mislaid it.)

Chris, who designed the basic circuit 20 years ago, says that by far the best valve to use for V1, the input stage, is a UCC82.

1449165916 3414 FT159213 Ot And Chokes

Two Varley 20H 120mA chokes and a Williamson push/pull output transformer.

POWER SUPPLY

1458763181 3414 FT1630 Power Supply2

(Not sure where to put fuses at the moment, see thread on page two. 23-3-16)

I'll be using a GZ37 rectifier for the power supply because I have one.

GZ37 Full Wave Rectifier
]gz37.pdf[/file]

I found what looks like a suitable transformer in the shed, Parmeko 5080/24A. I can't find any reference on the internet.

1386529440 3414 FT1630 Transformer1

I've started plotting the terminal pins from the notes I took when removing it.

1386453041 3414 FT1630 Transformer

Ok, here goes, Pins (1-2) (3-4) (5-6) and (7-8) are the primaries. (5-6) and (7-8) are in parallel for 110V, and in series for 220V. Resistance is ~4 Ohm, if I remember correctly.

For 240V, (1-2) and (3-4) are also in series with (5-6) and (7-8). Resistance is ~ 0.5 Ohm. Does this make sense/fit with convention?

Pins (9-11) are the 'ends' of the centre-tapped secondary, and go to the anodes on the rectifier. Pin 10 is presumably the centre tap of the secondary. ((9-11) =106 Ohms, (9-10) =52 Ohms, (10-11) =56 ohms).

Pin 10 is shorted to Pins 20, 25, 17 and 23.

Pins (12-13) are 5V heater supply. This will do for the rectifier tube. (0.6 Ohm)

Pins (14-15) are 6.3V heater supply. This will do for the output tube. (0.3-0.4 Ohm (dmm not very accurate plus corrosion on terminals, etc))

Pins (16-18) are 6.3V heater supply. Pin 17 is a centre tap.

Pins (19-21) are 12.6 V heater supply, Pin 20 is a centre-tap.

Pins (22-24) are, I think, two 'ends' of another centre-tapped secondary, but it looks like they each powered something independantly. resistance is ~1.2 Ohms, and ~ 0.6 Ohms between them and the centre tap.

As I said previously, Pins 10, 17, 20, 23, 25 and 'SC' are all shorted together.

1385753694 3414 FT159213 Choke

1385753695 3414 FT159213 Choke Spec

10H, 180mA Parmeko choke for the power supply.

Capacitors are motor run caps, I think. 2x8uF and 2x40uF in parallel to get the 16uF and 80uF required.
Shrad
Mon Nov 25 2013, 10:23PM
Shrad Registered Member #3215 Joined: Sun Sept 19 2010, 08:42PM
beam tetrodes are said to be really nice output tubes, and to have their own sound...
Proud Mary
Tue Nov 26 2013, 02:17PM
Proud Mary Registered Member #543 Joined: Tue Feb 20 2007, 04:26PM
Mr Ash! The 6BS7 is a super little high gain pentode, robust and well designed with in-built screening, and good defences against microphony and heater hum.

12E1 is not a good choice for your circuit - not a good choice for any circuit really, except as a shunt regulator, where it works like the overflow in a bathtub, holding the level of the water at a constant height by pouring away excess water as it flows in from the taps, a costly exercise.

Ash Small
Tue Nov 26 2013, 03:10PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

Mr Ash! The 6BS7 is a super little high gain pentode, robust and well designed with in-built screening, and good defences against microphony and heater hum.

12E1 is not a good choice for your circuit - not a good choice for any circuit really, except as a shunt regulator, where it works like the overflow in a bathtub, holding the level of the water at a constant height by pouring away excess water as it flows in from the taps, a costly exercise.

I recieved this reply elsewhere regarding the 12E1, PM:

"It is a series voltage regulator valve with a high output current so will double as an output valve very well

Very often power output bottles are used as Regulators

and vice versa"

I've been doing a bit of googling, and the KT88 (along with some of the other KT series) seem to be fairly highly regarded. I may try the 12E1, but maybe I'll see what else I have. I think if I decide to buy one, I'll probably look for a KT88, as it seems to be highly thought of.
Proud Mary
Tue Nov 26 2013, 08:36PM
Ash Small wrote ...

Proud Mary wrote ...

I recieved this reply elsewhere regarding the 12E1, PM:

"It is a series voltage regulator valve with a high output current so will double as an output valve very well

Very often power output bottles are used as Regulators

and vice versa"

I've been doing a bit of googling, and the KT88 (along with some of the other KT series) seem to be fairly highly regarded. I may try the 12E1, but maybe I'll see what else I have. I think if I decide to buy one, I'll probably look for a KT88, as it seems to be highly thought of.

It's true that valves like 807 were often used in series regulators by radio amateurs, but if 12E1 was as interchangeable with power amplifier applications as your information suggests, why would the manufacturer have produced a valve dedicated to regulator use?

Ash Small
Tue Nov 26 2013, 09:34PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

It's true that valves like 807 were often used in series regulators by radio amateurs, but if 12E1 was as interchangeable with power amplifier applications as your information suggests, why would the manufacturer have produced a valve dedicated to regulator use?

There is an article here: Link2 which states the following regarding replacing a KT88 with a 12E1:

"1. PIN 3 to be connected to top cap of valve 12E1. Keep lead as short as practicable. Use good quality, well insulated flex with a good high temperature stability. Use an insulated top cap as voltages in excess of 450V DC are common on this application. It is suggested that a small hole 5mm is drilled adjacent to PIN 3 and an appropriate grommet inserted to cover bare metal edges. Wire from PIN 3 to top cap passes through this hole and is soldered to PIN 3.

2. Due to higher gain of 12E1 it will be necessary to increase bias to valve. To achieve similar standing current, bias will need to be about -40V. An alternative solution is to reduce anode voltage by about 50V. This is achieved by adding a decoupling R/C network in the HT feed to the output transformer.

3. When set up correctly the 12E1 gives good base drive and excellent transient response. As the valve has lower output impedance than a KT88, it’s dynamic performance will be a noticeable improvement in the adjusted circuit.
For further information, please refer to KT88 and 12E1 data sheets available on this website."

Maybe the 12E1 was even more expensive than the KT88? I've no idea, but the article looks interesting.

Shrad
Tue Nov 26 2013, 10:00PM
same with the 6080 which was intended as a shunt regulator but has proven its wide success in audio amplifiers... I still have the components for a dual 4 tube setup, for 40W per amp if I recall good enough
Proud Mary
Tue Nov 26 2013, 10:59PM
I think perhaps my ideas about valves are too conservative, and belong in the valve era, so I have very little experience of trying to make valves do things for which they weren't originally designed. But best of luck with it all! smile
Ash Small
Tue Nov 26 2013, 11:46PM
Proud Mary wrote ...

I think perhaps my ideas about valves are too conservative, and belong in the valve era, so I have very little experience of trying to make valves do things for which they weren't originally designed. But best of luck with it all! smile

Well, I do like to 'over engineer' things. I imagine it won't be particularly efficient, but I do have a 250mA rectifier tube, and class A amps are never that efficient anyway.

I have been researching power valves a bit as I'm looking for one to regulate a magnetron (5-10kV, <1kW). I like the anode cap on the 12E1 as I could fit a heatsink to it. Not sure how effective it would be, and I doubt I'll ever get this valve very hot, without blowing speakers, etc.

It's all about using what's available.
Shrad
Fri Nov 29 2013, 10:59AM
you could use something like a FAN7530 to get a stable B+ instead of a valve rectifier and oversized inductions...

there is always the debate of using or not using the old school filtering for B+ supplies, but sincerely, why woud we still do this while we have modern solutions? there are some ways to mix designs and get the best of both worlds
1 2 3 4  last

Moderator(s): Chris Russell, Noelle, Alex, Tesladownunder, Dave Marshall, Dave Billington, Bjørn, Steve Conner, Wolfram, Kizmo, Mads Barnkob

Go to: